@~thehung

Spread Thin

What's stopping some of the members from taking over the domain and forums if it was to be shut down?

Taking over atomicmpc.com.au? Maybe, just Maybe haymarket may redirect forums.atomicmpc.com.au? Then again, why not just change the name entirely. Atomic MPC as it was is dead. Now all that's left is the the community, and the name hardly matters.

Hence my post about 'brand'. The value of the atomic brand has obviously been diminished will the loss of the mag, the question is, does it make sense to keep it for the online ads? Why does it make sense to spread the marketing effort and customer awareness across 2 brands - atomic and PCTA?

As for atomicians writing articles, that has happened in the past, though my scanner review never made it ;)

Edited by Mac Dude

You shoulg have used Nobody813s steam for linux review as an article rather than just a POTM, it was very good.

I'm not just going to take random content from the forums - that's kinda... stealing :)

Hence my post about 'brand'. The value of the atomic brand has obviously been diminished will the loss of the mag, the question is, does it make sense to keep it for the online ads? Why does it make sense to spread the marketing effort and customer awareness across 2 brands - atomic and PCTA?

Atomic is still useful, I think. The wider industry recognises it, for one thing. Our hardware guys in Taiwan love knowing it's still there, and so do local game publishers. So, in a lot of ways, the brand is more valuable than ever.

I'm not just going to take random content from the forums - that's kinda... stealing :)

i meant with permission, and it was a very high quality review.

Atomic is still useful, I think. The wider industry recognises it, for one thing. Our hardware guys in Taiwan love knowing it's still there, and so do local game publishers. So, in a lot of ways, the brand is more valuable than ever.

And atomic was/is the only magazine of it's kind in Aus.

Doesn't the fine print state somewhere that you (not you personally, but Haymarket) ultimately own what we post on the forums anyway?

Doesn't the fine print state somewhere that you (not you personally, but Haymarket) ultimately own what we post on the forums anyway?

I thought that was the case, back from ages ago ...

Yeah, we do. But I personally think taking anything in that way would constitute an abuse of the forums and its members. It's just not something I'd be interested in doing, legally defensible or no.

Find a few open-source projects that interest you, they will gladly write articles for PCTA.

And please use things from the forums, it makes us (everyone here) happy.

so, hows the state of the forums going? I thought the reduction of sections was a good idea.

Yeah, it is... just had a tonne of pressure on the site at the moment. Unfair to you guys, I know. I'm off mag deadline tomorrow, so I'll try to get something happening next week.

What do you mean? These forums are linked right off the front page :)

But the PCA readership has never been all that forum-focused. There used to be a dedicated forum - but we closed it due to lack of interest.

To be fair Hawkeye, linked right off the front page means a little "O" symbol in the menu bar..... Even when I knew what I was looking for it took a 10 second count.

Not just for us; but also to bring PCTA into the 'online social age' Why not a huge banner ad of:

"Come check out our new forums! Discuss tech, gaming, new PC builds and more!"

They literally just headhunted themselves some new forums :P Even if only 5 people are interested, that 5 more possible subscribers\community members which would benefit both PCTA and Atomic.

We wouldnt be the first company\publication to have a quirky named subsection; aka. "The Atomic Forums of PCTA"

Headhunted? You do know it's all the one company and staff, right?

Anyhoo, we need to get our spam problem sorted before we start any recruitment drives.

How does an old member log in/reset their password if they have a free address?

Same way as a new user. Let me explain.

They create a dummy account.

They PM a mod.

They wait.

Wait some more while the moderator's computer issues are sorted out (not Chaos's fault that she has to deal with this, FTR)

Then they finally read Chaos's thread in TGR.

Then they PM someone they know on the forum...IF they know someone on the forum

Then they wait some more while the spam is filtered.

Sometime within a couple of weeks (months?) they get their password reset or new account validated.

They get it reset because a moderator puts her OWN FUCKING EMAIL FUCKING EMAIL ADDRESS out there to help!!

By this time they have lurked the forums and thought fuck this shit, there's no activity anyway.

Surely shit shouldn't be so hard to do.

Oh, wait....we're on IPB, because custom sites are too hard, right?

I don't recall having such issues without IPB.

Infact, I recall having more users with IPB.

You know, I am pretty sure the spammers are targeting IPBs.

Ahh, the old bullet in the foot trick!

lulz.

Last forum software I used (was an old one on anglefire) allowed you to set who can sign up from where. I guess IPB doesnt?

If they're already a member the restriction shouldnt take place. Thats how it USED to work. No idea for IPB.

Whats OCAU using? theirs works.