Sign in to follow this  
bastian

Headphone Upgrade - Need Help

At the moment I am using a pair of Razer Electra headphones. They are worn out now and falling apart so I'm looking to upgrade to some new headphones. Please give suggestions for what you recomend. Some guidlines of what I'm looking for are below.

No 7.1 speakers. I dont have the audio card to run that sort of thing.

It needs to have a mic inbuilt.

I wear glasses all the time so headphones that sit comfortably for long play time is what I am looking for as most headphones press my ears into my glasses and they become sore after an hour.

I mostly play League of Legends and RPG's like Skyrim and Baldur's Gate so it doesn't need to have enhanced base for kickass explosions that you find in FPS's but I would still like good audio quality.

I'm not subjective or biased of any brands so any suggestion is welcome.

And finally I'm looking at a price range between $60-$120 (aus). I might be willing to go over a tiny bit if there is good reason.

If you do help me out with suggestions please give me a link to somewhere were I can purchase it as well.

I use an older version of these which come with a USB dongle to use instead of using your soundcard.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=19910

I went for the USB option so I can easily switch between speakers and headphones.

I wear glasses and haven't had any issues with the model I've got. Also the cable hasn't got any issues so far with an 8 month old baby tugging and pulling on it.

Edited by PointZeroOne

After 5 or 6 years my old Steelsound 5hv2 headphones are still going strong. Showing very little signs of wear and tear, I would not hesitate to get another set or a newer model of the steel sound series. Can be brought from Amazon But my particular model is getting hard to get as its been superseded, however any steel series head phone that grabs you will, I am sure, be a great investment.

Edited by bowiee

ADH700's are great.

The zalman clip on mics suck though, they don't pick up sound well from then neck.

http://www.modmic.com/ does a clip on mic that's great.

I ended up getting a logetech desk mic though as they pick up sound really well, so I don't have to yell at 2 o'clock in the morning.

I'd recommend the AKG K540 with a clip-on mic if you can find one cheap. Trades in some soundstage for tight controlled bass, for a nice balance. It's also very good for music, especially rock.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

ADH700's are great.

The zalman clip on mics suck though, they don't pick up sound well from then neck.

http://www.modmic.com/ does a clip on mic that's great.

I ended up getting a logetech desk mic though as they pick up sound really well, so I don't have to yell at 2 o'clock in the morning.

+1 for the ADH700's they are great value for money.

Pc gaming you cant go past the steel series although they work much better with an amplifier.

I am using a pair of Audio technica but these are large cans.

I would look into some steel series v2 siberia's they are light you might have issues with your glasses.

I recently have had my tritton headset break the ear cups.

So I just plugged the mic straight in the jack and popped in my old senheisser headset from work. This set up is actually better than the headset I originally bought so think of a desk mounted mike they are so much nicer to use with a seperate audiophile headphones.

Will not be going back.

+1 steelseries.

Edited by pumpjockey02

At the moment I am using a pair of Razer Electra headphones. They are worn out now and falling apart so I'm looking to upgrade to some new headphones. Please give suggestions for what you recomend. Some guidlines of what I'm looking for are below.

No 7.1 speakers. I dont have the audio card to run that sort of thing.

It needs to have a mic inbuilt.

I wear glasses all the time so headphones that sit comfortably for long play time is what I am looking for as most headphones press my ears into my glasses and they become sore after an hour.

I mostly play League of Legends and RPG's like Skyrim and Baldur's Gate so it doesn't need to have enhanced base for kickass explosions that you find in FPS's but I would still like good audio quality.

I'm not subjective or biased of any brands so any suggestion is welcome.

And finally I'm looking at a price range between $60-$120 (aus). I might be willing to go over a tiny bit if there is good reason.

If you do help me out with suggestions please give me a link to somewhere were I can purchase it as well.

This is not really helping you out with the price range or mic but AKG are Australian made and are good quality. I have the model. AKG 271 mk2.

There a nice fit and have excellent clarity for the tiniest of sounds.

I think these headphones where more for DJs in radio stations ect, but fantastic for gaming.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-271-mk-ii.php

I think if you search hard you can get them less than $200.

I bought mine for $169.99. No mic though but very comfy.

I have a $1 desk mic from the local 'asian store' which is better than anyone else I play DOTA with apparently (some have pretty high end headsets too!)

From there, I play with some HD202's because cheap and good (for the price range).

All I can really do is +1 the idea of desk mic; they work way better, and this opens up a world of earphones you wouldnt have let yourself look at before.

For every pair of beats by dre I see, I shall kill you....

You sound like you're not going for these but don't get corsair vengeance 1500 headset as the bass is pretty terrible. Everything else is good though, directions, clarity and comfort are great. Just no bass.

Still using my old Gamecom 777s for gaming.

http://www.plantronics.com/au/product/gamecom-777

Maybe not the best audio, but then my hearing is not the best either. :P

What I do like about them is they have their own USB audio card (can be unplugged so the headset can be plugged in to normal audio ports) which means I can be chatting on vent with the headset and still have music coming through the main audio card and speakers (software needs to allow you to select the output audio device for this to work).

They are also an "open" headset so I can hear that music ok and anything else going on around me.

Dislikes? After 5 years the volume pot is a bit dicky and the headband is plastic so is a bit fragile (had to araldite mine together a little while back).

Current replacement is the Gamecom 780

http://www.plantronics.com/au/product/gamecom-780v and when these cark it I will most likely move to them.

wow i havent seen 777's for YEARS. nice set of cans in the day :)

Oh are they?

As I said my hearing is bit iffy, years of working in mines and on farms, so fair bit of noisy machinery. They sound good to me, but never done any sort of reading up on their actual quality, they just suit my ol noggin.

:-)

AKG are Austrian, not Australian.

I hate misleading people and being wrong Cheers Cyb3rGlitch..

Oh are they?

As I said my hearing is bit iffy, years of working in mines and on farms, so fair bit of noisy machinery. They sound good to me, but never done any sort of reading up on their actual quality, they just suit my ol noggin.

They're not going to win any awards specifically, but they were well regarded as the best Price-performance-feature mix, for a LONG time.

IMO they sound crap; but I'm used to normal non gaming headphones.

Compared to gaming headphones, they're pretty high end :)

I've been using the zalman clip on mic i linked above for ages, it captures a lot less of the keyboard clicking that my desk mic does (mechanical keyboard + key spam) and sounds fine to my friends too. I prefer it to having something else sitting on my desk.

they now have the ad700x which is black not pinkish red which might be more appealing to some people

http://audio-technica.com.au/products/open...dphones/ad700x/

Oh are they?

I am still using a set myself.

I really didn't think they were bad but I do have a Xonar STX driving them.

Come to think of it, I have a few sets of headphones lying about that would be better. I haven't used a desktop mic in years but it couldn't be all that difficult finding one.

Edited by The Tick

Yeah if you can source said desk mic and use music headphones you'll get worlds better,

They're just the holy grail of gaming headsets back in the day.

Ive started using my Koss PortaPros for everything. Even as on ear phones they never get tiring, and I just love the damn things.