Sign in to follow this  
fajw

Which monitor for grandfather with poor eyesight?

I've been thinking about a new monitor for my grandfather who has poor eyesight and it seems to me a 27" 1080p IPS monitor is the way to go. Is this right? Which one should I get? Looking at PC Case Gear there are two such options: ASUS MX279H and AOC D2757PH. They are similarly priced and featured. ASUS MX279H costs $389.00 and AOC D2757PH costs $355.00. Both have a three year warranty.

No need to go that big, with a monitor size does not necessary equal easy to read. A 24" would do just as well, then use the windows "Ease of access" tools which has a magnifier and contrast settings ect that can make the monitor much easier to see for the visually impaired.

If you want to spend all your grandfathers money then get him the 27" otherwise just get him something smaller like Bowiee has said and then do things software side to make it easier for him to use.

If you want to spend all your grandfathers money then get him the 27" otherwise just get him something smaller like Bowiee has said and then do things software side to make it easier for him to use.

I'd go a 24inch thats a good size with large magnification you can get a sood trade off on a web page at that size,

BENq or lg under 100-150 these days.

Hi, guy who was legally blind for 2 years and continues to have like 17/20 vision here.

What you want is large pixels.

You want a 32" LCD TV, and to hook the PC up over HDMI.

Research this first, because you need to make sure the screen DOES NOT overscan. Your PC will output pixel-perfect images (turn off 'edge smoothing' and 'clear type') and the last thing you want is your TV 'being smart' and overscanning 10 lines each direction because it thinks it knows better.

Take a laptop into a dick smith or a harveys, and see if you can get font that looks pixel perfect to display on the HDMI\VGA out. If you can, this is your sweet spot.

Just remember, with monitors, bigger screen usually means more resolution, which means smaller icons\font. With a TV, no matter the size, the rez is 1080p, so as you get bigger, so do other things.

Turn on LARGE ICONS and set DPI to 125% in screen settings, and you'll be gravy :)

On the plus side, he can also watch TV on it with the PC off, and if you can find a 'store brand' (Soniq, Vivo, Kogan, etc) that doesnt overscan, the cost of a TV that big, is WAY cheaper than a monitor of equal size.

Seems MS has you covered, but when I read the thread subject I thought of this. Having a monitor/display with as high a pixel pitch (or low pixel density) as possible would be better for making things "bigger".

eg a display that has native 1080p in a 27" form factor is better than one in a 23" form factor. Means bigger pixels.

MS has a good idea though with going with a TV display. All 1080p and usually much larger than typical computer monitor displays, means really high pixel pitch (and really low pixel density).

Will give you the best results I would think.

If size is an issue just get what ever appropriate size with as low a native res as possible (contrary to what everyone else would want, so may not be able or easy to find anything). But you can always just run it at lower than native res for the same effect (just slightly more blurry).

I can recommend Pale Moon x64 browser (Firefox, but better) with the No Squint add-on.

No Squint allows a default automatic zoom (mine is set at 170% because I prefer large senior citizen text), and also allows you to scale the text size independently of the images by ctrl+shift+scroll (default is 110% which I can modify on a per-site basis). Text zoom is applied after the normal zoom.

Currently running the forums at 170% all zoom, 180% text zoom on a 27" 2560x1440 monitor.

Neat app TheFrunj, I do like!

32" TV is the right size BTW, I didnt state that before.

For someone with bad eyes, the typical 1m away (which is hard up against the wall, with you sitting comfortably back on the chair) is perfect.

27 is OK, but you'll still need to lean in to see sections up close.

Been there, lived it.

Have the medical bills to prove it :P

I'm on a 27" 1200 display now, after all my surgery, but before that; see above :)

With poor eyesight, visual quality (colors, darks, etc) isn't too important. Just get the largest you can at the best price.

Then increase the size of all text to make all it all larger (not exactly sure of the name in Windows, but its in the display options)

I disagree 8vm, color and brightness are crucial. Its how you tell where one object ends and another begins if you cant see the thin line that would normally separate them.

That said, all Tv's ive seen have been good enough at it.