Sign in to follow this  
Director

Someone debunk this for me.

Why would an alien have DNA?

More simply there is no real reason that an alien would be "humanoid". Few creatures on this planet are built like us, why would creatures on another planet be?

More simply there is no real reason that an alien would be "humanoid". Few creatures on this planet are built like us, why would creatures on another planet be?

Similar lines of evolution?

IMO we are more likely to find aliens that will be so different to us that it will break most peoples minds, but if life formed on a planet with similar characteristics to our own it would stand to reason that they would have the similar characteristics that enabled us to move to the top of the food chain here.

Why would it not have DNA for the exact reasons above?

Never mind, after doing soem more digging I found this:

http://swallowingthecamel.wordpress.com/20...ke-dead-aliens/

"Last year, he announced that his Center for the Study of ET Intelligence had gained access to the body, and would need funding to carry out scientific tests. He released a single photo and an X-ray of the “humanoid”, failing to mention it had already been in the Chilean tabloid press nine years earlier. In late October, he announced the body had been examined by “experts” using X-rays and CT scans, but still wouldn’t release more photos or give the names of the scientists working with him. For a disclosure advocate, Greer doesn’t like to disclose much. He would only say that “one of the world’s top geneticists” was studying DNA samples from the alien, and the “world’s foremost authority on skeletal abnormalities” had pronounced the skeleton non-human.

Steven Greer has a – how shall I put this? – rather checkered history in the field of UFO studies. He has promised big things before, with no payoff:

Throughout the ’90s, he claimed the ability to summon and communicate with UFOs using lights, lasers, and mental telepathy.

In 2008, the Orion Project announced it was developing a free energy device. Delay after delay pushed its unveiling all the way to the spring of 2010, when the Orion Project declared the work could not continue until their funding needs were met (a mere $3 million or so). Greer repeatedly insisted the device was already functional, yet it has still not been revealed.

In 2009, he practically guaranteed that the Obama administration would give full disclosure about UFOs and ETs by the end of 2010. (video)

You would think the Atacama humanoid results would be big, big news in the world of ufology, but skepticism and disinterest remain high. I’m guessing this is partly because of Greer’s track record, partly because he won’t even release the names of these world-renowned scientists, and partly because we’ve been through all this before. Since the ’50s, we have been subjected to a veritable parade of alien fetuses, alien autopsies, alien skeletons and alien skulls – nearly all of which turned out to be terrestrial. Let’s take a quick look at some of the alien corpses of years past. Be warned that a few of the photos are kinda gross...."

IMO we are more likely to find aliens that will be so different to us that it will break most peoples minds, but if life formed on a planet with similar characteristics to our own it would stand to reason that they would have the similar characteristics that enabled us to move to the top of the food chain here.

Why does that "stand to reason"?

Steven Greer has a – how shall I put this? – rather checkered history in the field of UFO studies. He has promised big things before, with no payoff:

Wow. When the crazies think you are crazy you have hit peak crazy.

Does that actually need to be explained or are you just coming into yet another thread to act like a fuckwit?

The expert on extra terrestrial life weighs in

Does that actually need to be explained or are you just coming into yet another thread to act like a fuckwit?

Well first of all fuck off. It was just a question.

Second the idea that our form is the one perfect one required for sentience and complex tool use is misrepresenting evolution as a directed process of improvement rather than of adaptation.

We are unique on this planet. Nothing else with our capabilities has evolved (that we know of) here. Our advent seems to be an unlikely event, after all it only happened once. And we are the product of our environment and maybe a helping of chance.

So for the sentient, complex tool using dominate life form on another planet to have evolved to look just like us and be made of the same stuff, the origin of life then evolution and evolutionary pressures must have proceded in exactly the same way. The little monster that was swimming around in the Burgess shale that was maybe the first ancestor of the vertebrates must have been much the same as the one swimming around in the primordial seas of the alien planet. And then the fishlike thing it eventually evolved into much have been much the same and so on.

How much more unlikely is that?

Edited by Hlass

We really don't know enough about life and its possibilities to say what form aliens will take.

If alien abiogenesis is only possible in the same or similar conditions as primitive Earth, then the alien will some sort of have DNA (though it's unlikely to be in any way compatible with terrestrial DNA).

It still is unlikely to look like us or any other animal on Earth. It will have formed different organs and appendages and so on, although there are likely to be some similarties, especially if the environmental conditions are roughly the same.

However, if abiogenesis is possible in lots of different conditions then who knows what forms aliens could take? They could be formed of metal, radiation, inter-dimensional mathematical constructs, who knows?

Also, regardless of how aliens may have evolved, it's always possible they developed enough technology to transfer their bodies into different hosts - robots, starships, avatars, digital simulations, etc.

We really don't know enough to rule anything out.

Shit gunna get serious when we bump into something intelligent...

'something intelligent' now that would be alien....

I read somewhere about the alien in the op that it is an upcoming film.. as in not a documentary..

I read somewhere about the alien in the op that it is an upcoming film.. as in not a documentary..

nahh?

I know about the doco that he's pushing.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Probably won't happen on Atomic.

Hmm,

Any extraterrestrial environment would be likely to contain some mix of simple elements, accepting that life forms composed of something other than matter could be possible, add energy, as per the famous experiment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2%80%93Urey_experiment

So the most basic building blocks across planetary surfaces could be quite similar.

But how those combine to eventually create life, the variables are presumably huge.

From there I suppose you look to successful environmental adaptation.

Symmetry appears to be favored, on earth.

Still a long way from even rudimentary intelligence but it is not inconceivable that life at least recognisably similar to us, using DNA, could evolve elsewhere. But, so could many other things, including many we probably cannot imagine.

All speculation, and no, I don't think the little grey men have much if any credibility.

Cheers

All speculation, and no, I don't think the little grey men have much if any credibility.

What did they tell you that was incredible?

Hmm,

Any extraterrestrial environment would be likely to contain some mix of simple elements, accepting that life forms composed of something other than matter could be possible, add energy, as per the famous experiment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2%80%93Urey_experiment

What you say is true, assuming that it's taking place on a primordial earth like planet though, right?

If aliens arise on a planet with different chemical composition, which is not unlikely, then life isn't going to arise from the same chemicals.

In any event, Hlass' point is very valid. There is no reason why DNA would be the heredity molecule of alien life. For all we know, their heredity may work through some entirely unthought of mechanisms. Even on earth, it is possible that RNA or protein could have arisen as the molecular basis for heredity. It's down to serendipity (or the creator's plan) as to which "sticks", and it depends very much on the challenges facing early life. Which in turn comes back to conditions. So even a primordial earth like planet, with different temperatures/radiation levels could/would/might produce a very different system of life.

In any event, debunking isn't really required.

There's assertion only in the video with nothing to back it up.

CT, X-rays, etc are all very easy to fake.

It's harder to fake a dissection or a MRI, but not impossible.

The fact that the alien contains DNA, is odd imo, but even if it isn't, there's not reason that DNA in alien physiology would work in the same way. They may have alternative bases that bond differently, in which case PCR let alone sequencing wouldn't work.

They didn't display any methodology or talk on the challenges of sequencing alien life (believe me, we have trouble sequencing extremophiles at times, so imagine an alien) and there is no analysis of elements, which could be used to infer location/conditions on the creatures homeworld. Before I bothered trying to sequence an alien, there's a bunch of OTHER things I'd do first, because they are cheaper and give you an idea what you are dealing with. There's no mass spec analysis, no checks for proteins, no digest results, no info on chromosomal arrangement, DNA storage format (whether chromosomes even exist), analysis of DNA binding proteins, hell, how methylated the chromosomal DNA is.

This video is obviously made by someone who hasn't been working with anyone in the field of biochemistry/genetics, and/or isn't trying to convince anyone with such knowledge.

They want to convince the non-experts, because they can't convince the scientists.

Lastly, the eyes don't appear to have lost volume, why didn't they try and find out what's inside? If it was a human body, the eyes would have shrivelled up like currents.

Further, why haven't they done surface analysis to look at elements that make up the outside of the body?

So even if I started out as someone who thought it likely that this was a genuine alien, the more you look at it, and the more you know the less likely it gets.

What did they tell you that was incredible?

The bit where they said scientists had done some work on it.

If any scientists had, there would be a LOT more to report. Hell, just saying "it's not human" isn't what a scientist would say.

They'd look at how shared the genome is, and a whole other swathe of things that I mentioned. Even if a scientist wanted to help him make shit up, they'd do a much better job.

The cavalier attitude to sequencing exo-life, and not mentioning ANY material fact based on the sequencing is frankly ridiculous.

It's like the whole video was put together by someone whose idea of genetics is DNA fingerprinting. "it's a match" or "it's not a match" doesn't enter the equation, especially if it doesn't match human DNA.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Speak for yourself xyzzy.

Sorry, I forgot you're here Betzie.

My bad.

;-)

Someone debunk this for me.,

it's a load of shit all made up by a hoaxer. Good enough for you? I