mark84

The rise and fall of AMD

Very interesting read.

I remember the K6 being a big thing when it came out.

When the Athlon came out it really defined a portion of the history here.

Well, the playstation 4 is going to be using AMD CPU and GPU. So the company is definitely still in the game for the console market.

We can only hope. If they do not, Intel will just get even worse. I.e. release really marginal incremental gaps in its product lines.

Intel needs to be challenged or no revolutionary products will be released.

Moore's law seems dead now.

Unfortunately, I think it'll take a lot of time before we can see Intel challenged like AMD did with their Athlon, elfanger. ARM is trying but I don't think they'll reach to the stage where they could challenge Intel, probably dent a little on that titanium armour of Intel's is more appropriate. ATM, the future is towards digital integration so who knows?

It is quite a good read but I think they missed the point where Sanders wanted fabs. It wasn't about ego, it was more about wanting to be Intel in a sense. And that's probably potentially the cause of AMD's downward turn since most of the money was pissed into fabs they really didn't need. Money that could have been better spent elsewhere. But kudos on Read doing his best in making sure AMD doesn't collapse. Hopefully, we'll see a better result soon/

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I'm not the head of a company, but if I was head of an innovation company, I'd pour most of my development funds into innovation.

Well, the playstation 4 is going to be using AMD CPU and GPU. So the company is definitely still in the game for the console market.

People forget that an AMD chip is still more than good enough for almost everything. It's behind in performance, it's not useless.

I bet i could build a nice Hyper-V or ESXi cluster with AMD CPUs and save a bunch :)

It's a good read. I guess price is only selling point for AMD these days. Especially for casual users who don't care too much about performance or overclocking.