Sign in to follow this  
Camsie

Audio Seperation Software

Say I have a piece of audio that's composed of 2 differant sounds. Say also, that I have another sound file that's a pure version of one of the components of the other file. Is there software around that can use this component file to isolate the other component of the combination audio file and save the output as a wav or mp3?

Yes, I realize that in theory this can be accomplishedin any freeware audio suite by simply inverting the component file and blending it with the combination file. But this only works if the component audio file is matched perfectly with it's placement and volume in the combination file. The positioning has to be precise right down to the millisecond, otherwise you get an echo, not a cancellation. This is obviously a huge hassle if the component audio doesn't start at the very beggining of the combination audio.

Any help appreciated.

Should be doable, as far as these things go. Inverting cancels sources that are mixed to the centre. Mix paste the second file onto the original file, invert, and it should give you some kind of result, assuming the files line up. If you need it tweak it back or forth a bit to line it up, either trim it in your audio editor, or line it up in multitrack software.

Edit...

Actually, more specific info about the recording is needed. What is the recording? How are sounds panned?

Edited by komuso

Should be doable, as far as these things go. Inverting cancels sources that are mixed to the centre. Mix paste the second file onto the original file, invert, and it should give you some kind of result, assuming the files line up. If you need it tweak it back or forth a bit to line it up, either trim it in your audio editor, or line it up in multitrack software.

Edit...

Actually, more specific info about the recording is needed. What is the recording? How are sounds panned?

The main one I'm working on is a speech overlayed with an orchestral soundtrack. I've picked up an MP3 of the raw music piece being played, now I'm hoping to be able to use that to cancel it out in the recording so that all that's left is the guy speaking. The start of the speech doesn't sync up with the start of the music, however. ANd because the music kind of "fades in" gradually, there's no major spike on the waveform for me to synch up the waves to. With hyper-accuracy needed in order to perform a proper cancellation, I really need a piece of software that can analyse the common elements of both files and decide for itself how the timing and amplitudes need to be synced in order to cancel each other out. If I keep trying to "get lucky" by adjusting the clip millisecond by millisecond, it'll take forever.

I don't believe you will ever get a perfect cancellation. The guy speaking will change the waveform, also dependent on the panning of that element. And the music needs to be exactly the same as well. Also not sure if or how compressed files, like mp3 affect this.

You may get close, but it will never be perfect.

Just a quick word, mp3 files will not work as well, as the sound changes due to encoding