Sign in to follow this  
cracktastic

Tossing up on GTX 670's

Hi

I've just got a question about me getting a new pc and i was wondering on a video card that is going to last me for awhile so i wont have to upgrade it. I'm tossing around for a GTX 670,now i know the higher cards are way better and i would love to purchase a much high end card, but im looking for something solid/stable but still high enough. Anyway here are some toss up's im thinking of getting.

i was looking around on performance and stability and found that the ASUS was a great card for my build.

ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II OC 2GB

Any other suggestions?

Doesn't the 7970 stumble alittle in windows? still overall the memory bandwidth is larger than the 670 which is good,and is good for the dollar, im running a XFX 6870 Black Edition, haven't much issues with it, had 1 problem though had to replace the card because it died, but now overall its not too bad, this is the first time using a ATi card, but ive always been a fanboy for Nvidia Cards, i just seem to have more stability when using those cards.

Well my new setup is going to be:

Case: Corsair Graphite 600T Special Edition White Case

Watercooling Kit: Corsair Hydro Series H100i CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K

Ram: Corsair Vengeance Red CMZ16GX3M4A2133C9R 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 (but might be upgrading that to 32gb)

HDD: OCZ 128gb SSD x3 2tb Blacks WD(these are my current parts)

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 750W Power Supply HCG-750 (Current PSU i use now)

do you need the 3770k? its biggest advantage over 3570k is ht which isnt really useful in games but it is with video encoding where it can provide ~25% boost

go with two 8g sticks of ram

stumble in windows? cant say i have noticed anything like that

7970 is a smidgen faster than gtx680 and comes with some free games making it excellent value by comparison

its an i5 though, and really is the 3770K going to benefit be later on?

? yes its a i5 which mostly means no hyperthreading which isnt really useful in a gaming build

well ive decided to go with the ASUS 7970 DirectCU II TOP. still might think of the i5 one, but yeah dunno atm

get the i5.

also, the DC2 is a Waste of space, good performance, but something else would have been as good.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I know getting a new graphics card can be terribly exciting, but please, make sure you don't get any on the electrical components.

You're likely to short it out, and I doubt the manufacturer would want to.... touch it.

also, the DC2 is a Waste of space, good performance, but something else would have been as good.

Disagree.

Like Dasa, I also have a pair of DCU2 cards and they are by far the quietest cards I've owned.

Unless he's planning to go for Triple Crossfire, or is building on a sub-ATX board, he's not going to run into space issues. I have two triple slot cards and a sound card in mine....

Made a good choice IMHO.

For gaming definitely go for the i5. Even with the i7 you would end up disabling HT to improve gaming performance which means paying extra for the i7 is just a waste of money's.

I know getting a new graphics card can be terribly exciting, but please, make sure you don't get any on the electrical components.

You're likely to short it out, and I doubt the manufacturer would want to.... touch it.

Disagree.

Like Dasa, I also have a pair of DCU2 cards and they are by far the quietest cards I've owned.

Unless he's planning to go for Triple Crossfire, or is building on a sub-ATX board, he's not going to run into space issues. I have two triple slot cards and a sound card in mine....

Made a good choice IMHO.

Thanks for your reply, was really handy, so the board im getting still solid? to use even though it was pretty much a 2012 board.

i know that this is a old ticket and that, but ive been doing some updating and ive finally come to my conclusion of the 780GTX cards, now im jumping around on getting either a Gigabyte Stock 780GTX or a EVGA 780GTX ACX price isn't really a issue, all im wanting is something that will last for say 2-3yrs.

The 670 is still a great card. The 780GTX is even better and should last for a long time (depending on games, resolution, settings of course).

You can always sell it as well for a bit of cash when it is time to purchase another card later on. Cards like 5850 and even the 400's series are still going around for decent prices 2nd hand these days.

Edited by 8vm

well im currently running a

CPU: i7 930 2.8ghz overclocked to 3.5ghz watercooled

Mobo: Gigabyte 3UDR Rev (2.0)

Ram: 6gb Ripjaw GSkills

VidCard: XFX 6870 Black Edition

So basically would be good to get something to last me quite awhile, i still mostly play games med-high with some drop offs from time to time, but i am running 2 screens and often get some weird lag spikes. im running x2 24" Monitors

I'd be more inclined to spend less on the board as most mid-range boards are quite nice these days. Since you're looking at a Socket 1155 motherboard, your best choices are probably the Gigabyt Z77X-UD3H or if you can find it, the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4. Both are mid-range, offer a decent selection of overclocking options and as well be rock stable for their price. The difficulty is that Socket 1155 boards are being snapped up quick or EOL due to the socket 1150 range.

So basically would be good to get something to last me quite awhile, i still mostly play games med-high with some drop offs from time to time, but i am running 2 screens and often get some weird lag spikes. im running x2 24" Monitors

Try getting a new graphics card first, and see how it goes.

You won't get a whole lot of performance from games with a CPU upgrade. You could likely push your CPU to 4GHz and beyond.

Try getting a new graphics card first, and see how it goes.

You won't get a whole lot of performance from games with a CPU upgrade. You could likely push your CPU to 4GHz and beyond.

Well ive already gotten a ASUS Z87-PRO Motherboard so im going to go across with a upgrade thats going to last me.