Sign in to follow this  
bastian

HoN - I'll scratch your back?

Is there anyone out there who is willing to teach me how to play HoN, I come from a heavy LoL background and since HoN is more like Dota and I suck at Dota I figured I need some help.

I haven't made an account yet so if you want you can give me your username too and I'll place you as my referral. I don't know what benefits you will get but I figure it might be worth some of the trouble.

Or just be a poopy head and link me some guides that I can read up on, that will work too. It just won't be as fun and we won't become best friends.

You can start playing "casual" mode games to get you used to the heroes. That mode reflects LoL as ya dont lose money when ya die and get more money per hero kill.

The hardest part about learning this game is just knowing all the heroes. LIke ya need to be able to know if an enemey hero is going to stun you or what ever.

Be prepared to face some rage tho, there are a lot of ego's on the line when you play this game because you win/loss points. You will be abused alot for being a noob but thats normal. Theres a mute button on the portraits on the side, mute everyone who is abusive before being constructive.

I swear i have found a type of "whine" in peoples voice, a certain pitch of voice and you can tell they are going to be a crying bitch the whole game. So mute em before they make you rage.

When playing the heroes, just follow the guides that are on offer at the shop, they are pretty safe.

Finally, you have to deny in HoN, that is to last hit your own creep before the enemy can. This will deny the other team money and XP. DOnt worry about it too much at the start but if you have the APM to spare ya may as well do it.

I play a lot of the Mid wars map. (5 v 5 mid only no side lanes) feel free to add me.

zzfatracci

Well I've played dota 2 a little and I looked up comparisons between HoN and Dota cause they are similar and a lot of people were saying HoN was better. I don't have anything against dota 2 the only thing that really sold me on HoN was the Australian servers (apparently).

Thanks xnatex for the help too :D

Dota 2 has Australian servers now as well. I get 5ms ping (with Telstra cable).

Also, Dota 2 has a larger player base. If I was in your shoes I would just go straight for Dota 2. I play all 3 of the main MOBA (LoL, HoN and Dota 2).

I used to play HON, but I'm playing Dota2 now. I can give you some HON tips if you want, but really the main thing is reading guides.

I've played a fair bit of LOL, and the LOL vs DOTA/HON divide is pretty big. It was actually hard for me to learn to play LOL, because of how many of the mechanics work.

Hon VS DOTA, basically HON is faster. Casual mode is better than original dota easy mode ever was (in terms of not teaching you really bad habits). One of the best features of HON's casual mode is that you progress to mid game quicker, but progress to late game slower, if that makes sense.

In effect, in each of these games there are more or less Four broad classes of hero.

Tanks, Ganker, Support and Carry.

Tanks typically have lots of health, and effects that improve how long they can survive. LOL: Rammus, HON: Devourer, DOTA: Pudge

Gankers are often but not always intelligence heroes. They have spells that disable, and/or deal high damage. LOL: Fiddlesticks, HON: Pyromancer, Dota: Lina

Supports are often heroes that can heal. However they can also gift mana, shield allies, remove debuffs, or simply are good at helping allies farm. LOL: Soraka, HON: Rhapsody, Dota: KOTL

Carries are heroes who scale very well with gear. This often means that their abilities effect or complement their autoattacks. LOL: Any AD hero, HON: Scout, Dota: Faceless Void

There are also heroes who combine these. You'll see different names in different games, so a ganker might be called an assassin or simply a cc hero.

Coming into HON you will find two things challenging - learning to deny (something I REALLY REALLY miss in LOL) and dealing with the speed.

Dota is faster than LOL, and HON is faster than dota but the difference is mainly down to turnspeed.

Personally I'd learn to play DOTA2 well, and then learn HON. Dota 2 and HOn share a lot, and learning the DOTA2 heroes will give you some heroes in HON that you will know.

Meta changes depending on your ability level, but HON is heavily gank driven at low level, which means you will get a lot of aggro when you die (and you will, a lot).

You cant do smackdowns in Dota, (smackdowns/taunts in hon are a "fatality" type move where you taunt them, and if you kill them whilst taunted a special animation that you set happens, like a massive trashcan will fall from the sky, they will explode in blood or a bunch of other things) or get custom announcers to tell everyone how much you are owning. (my custom announcer is Duke nukem who yells to everyone in game "KISS MY ASS" when you smack people down and says a bunch of other stuff depending on how many kills you have).

The flamboyant announcers sends a rainbow over the sreen with "BITCH SLAPPED" if you land a smackdown on that announcer

The graphcis are worse in dota and the skill animations are much lack lustre. Its basically the same game but with less bells and whistles. Theres heaps of alteranate skins to the heroes in HoN too, the Dota counterparts look rubbish in comparison.

Witch slayer > lion

Bubbles > puck

Devourer > pudge

etc

You cant even concede in Dota, its not fun being held in a game where you are getting dominated for an hour and your entire team wants to quit, its actually burtal not being able to concede when you have trolls on your team (which is very common) Its also shit having to buy courers in dota, it doesnt make the game more fun playing support and having to shell out early money for a monkey, then you get the games where the support dont buy a courer and everyones early game is fucked.

Running to the secret shop is a chore and adds nothing either.

The Hon playerbase is growing, i was on last night and there was around 120k people online and it didnt take longer then 2mins to have matchmaking on an aus server.

Dota2 would have been good if it was released maybe 4 years ago, its just a poor mans HoN as it stands with too many of the shit features from Dota1 being imported over to please the nostalgic playerbase

Play LoL if you wanna try something different, you wont miss anything giving Dota2 the skip.

Edited by xnatex

Are you joking about the smackdowns? That sound way over the top!

When I used to play it, it had none of that.

Also, is everything available to everyone for free like in Dota 2? In LoL you need to pay to get access to all the heros. In Dota 2 you just buy for cosmetics.

Edited by elfanger

Are you joking about the smackdowns? That sound way over the top!

When I used to play it, it had none of that.

Also, is everything available to everyone for free like in Dota 2? In LoL you need to pay to get access to all the heros. In Dota 2 you just buy for cosmetics.

not joking, theres heaps of smackdowns too. You can drop Acme type Anvils, pianos, singing fat ladies, honey badgers come out the ground and eat them, michael jackson does a zombie moonwalk over the grave etc etc.

It works really well for your heroes like pyro who have a big nuke ult, i bind my taunt to a side button of my mouse to drop on em before the ult

Its not really over the top. Its just the cherry on top for a really big kill, if you get more smackdowns, you earn more coins which buy you thinks like alternate skins, announcers, smackdowns etc. Lots of people dont do smackdowns, but ive been playing "Dota" since before the frozen throne expansion came out so its def nice to have the option to go extra big if you have the APM ;)

When you win games in HoN you get silver coins (you also get coins for dropping wards and big kill streaks) which can be used to buy everything in-game. If you want everything right away you can buy gold coins. So you can get everything for free, but you will have to work for it if you want it all. Which is fair considering the game is free and you dont want noobs putting big smackdowns with awesome announcers on you straight of the bat

Are all the heros unlocked from the get go? Not skins, and items that do not effect game play, but the actual heroes themselves.

Edited by elfanger

Are all the heros unlocked from the get go? Not skins, and items that do not effect game play, but the actual heroes themselves.

Theres no pay to win items or items that affect gameplay (I kinda count a smackdown as game changing, it destroys the other persons moral to be smackdowned so hard).

You get all the heroes except for newly released ones, when a new hero comes out you have to buy (with gold coins) them as early access and only people with early access can play them for a small amount of time before they get released to the public to be played. Usually there is only 1 early access hero out at a time

Ok sounds good. I have downloaded the client and installed it.

My account is no longer there... So I had to make a new one. I played when it was origianlly released and stopped once they wanted to charge money for it.

Do you want to play some team games with me? I will be newish to HoN now that I have not played it in years but am good at Dota 2!

for sure, add me

zzfatracci

It may be worth having a few games of the mid wars mode so you get a feel for all the new heroes before jumping into a normal game to face the rage of nerds who cant believe who dont know the ins and outs of every hero lol.

Arent all the heros the same as Dota heros just with a rebrand? Like scout is bounty hunter, blacksmith is ogre magi, arachna is drow etc etc?

Arent all the heros the same as Dota heros just with a rebrand? Like scout is bounty hunter, blacksmith is ogre magi, arachna is drow etc etc?

Theres heaps more heroes in HoN then in Dota, Lots are the same but there are heaps of new ones as well. HoN stopped coping dota heroes after the game went retail (i think).