So I finally got a chance to go and check out RAM for my aging machine. It seems there are two prices, the retail price and insured price. Eg the retail price was $40 and the insured a few dollars more at $45. Apparently RAM often has incompatibility issues and doesn't work, so the two prices. If you pay the insured price and you have troubles, you can take the RAM back and get the retail price back. So essentially you lose a few dollars. If you pay the retail price and have problems, well you're shit outta luck.

Is it worth paying the insured price, that is does RAM really have alot of incompatibility issues?

The shop I go to is a specialty computer shop (called Pasokon Kobo), and they're always knowledgeable and helpful, so I can't imagine them bullshitting to scam customers in this case, but wanted to double check. This is in Japan fwiw.

ROFLMAO. This is a scam. If it does not work in your system you return it for malfunction. Also, RAM is covered by manufacturer warranty as well.

Do not pay the insured price!

Yeah...

No, i wouldn't pay the insured price.

Just make sure you check that the ram is comparable.

They might not refund you if you just buy something that's not compatible, unless it's faulty.

Lets say you buy DDR2-1066 but you actually wanted DDR3-2400 you wouldn't be likely to get a refund because you fucked up, so the insurance makes sense.

Perhaps it's a Japanese custom?

As long as you know what you're buying I don't think it's worth it, if it's faulty they should replace it, insurance or not.

But if you buy the wrong product type, that is your own fault. It is easier to research what ram is needed rather than blindly paying for insurance and randomly selecting ram from the shelf. If it was a legit shop, it would ask for the customers motherboard model and then tell them what ram is compatible.

The insured price essentially sounds like the store charging a restocking fee up front, but refusing to charge a restocking fee/replace the RAM if you have issues that aren't warranty related.

Boggle.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Ya wouldn't get away with that in Australia!

This shop should be reported to ACCC!

Looks like It's a shop in Japan, not much the ACCC can do :p.

But yea, RAM will almost always work. If it doesn't you have either got faulty RAM or the wrong type of RAM for you're motherboard.

just choose the right stuff. as above, not working = faulty = refund.

There are almost no incompatible ram these days; just.

~make sure the voltage the ram needs is about 1.5v (1.55 is OK), and it doesnt have fancy LED's ON the ram sticks to suck power.

You'll be golden.