TheMojorising

What are you playing at the moment?

Yeah the Black Knights have a chance to drop their weapons, I assume you got Astora's Straight Sword, near the Ancient Dragon in the Valley of the Drakes. I've heard its a good sword if you have the faith required to use it. The Shield you got I think would be the Dragoncrest Shield? Has decent Fire protection on it.

Make sure you create a build (and stick to it) before you get too far into the game, otherwise you may end up with stats all over the place and a character that is a jack of all trades and a master of none, not a good way to play the game. I don't know too much about casters, but I think this could turn out to be a decent build.

I don't know which armour or rings would go well with that, maybe check out the build list here.

been using this one though i threw some points into dexterity so that I use a shortbow and get my hands on the drake sword. then I had to bump up my strength so i could one hand the bitch...

Now Im just running around, i gave up trying to kill that prick at the bottom of the tower where you run into the taurus demon...

Havel the Rock is a bitch at low levels, he has huge damage reduction and huge damage output, best way to beat him at low levels is with backstabs, his club attacks are very easy to dodge and then get behind for a backstab.

Anyone played Xcom on iOS? Any good? Any issues?

And "Knights of the old Republic" on iPad?

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED??!?!? One of my all time favourite games in a form I can play in bed? At least Tim should have sent me an email heads up the bastard.

Havel the Rock is a bitch at low levels, he has huge damage reduction and huge damage output, best way to beat him at low levels is with backstabs, his club attacks are very easy to dodge and then get behind for a backstab.

Nailed him, his ring is now mine. I ended up firing a lightning bolt at him, and let him come at me, blocking one blow then getting behind him and fucking him up.

Plowing through stuff a little bit faster now, I've killed every boss or mini boss in the undead parish/burg areas now I think except for the Red Dragon.

Wondering what area I should venture into next.

Just found some massive retarded butterfly thing, lightning spear is amazing, i've made short work of most things with it so far. Goddam that red drake annoys me though, now in dark root basin. There a hydra looking thing and a bunch of crystal giant things. THats my next target

Edited by TheMojorising

Was playing Battlefield 4, hated it so far though. Can't get my head around the new maps, and beyond the bugs it looks horrible on my PC (admittedly this PC is two years old). Gone back to playing GTA Online and also playing through Metal Gear Solid.

I haven't touched GTA Online for a few weeks now (although I plan to go back for the beach bum DLC), since I got addicted to Dark Souls again. Now my interest for that is starting to taper off, I've been playing a little bit of State of Decay.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Was playing Battlefield 4, hated it so far though. Can't get my head around the new maps, and beyond the bugs it looks horrible on my PC (admittedly this PC is two years old). Gone back to playing GTA Online and also playing through Metal Gear Solid.

I hated the look of BF4 until I turned the brightness up to 85%.

All of a sudden the game looked good!

Hope that helps.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

What am I playing now?

X Rebirth, and being ridiculously disappointed with it....

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Oh dear. I had such high hopes.

What's your beef with it?

I was looking forward to X Rebirth but decided to hold off.

Turns out I did the right thing.

Grabbed a copy from Uncle T last night just to see how bad it is for myself though.

Get to find out today in between playing Dark Souls.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Oh dear. I had such high hopes.

What's your beef with it?

There are a few.

- Performance is poor with pretty low frame rates even on high end systems. I'm comfortable enough that they'll sort this out.

- Graphics are DX9 only and have very simple textures. This isn't a huge problem when you're looking out into space, but the cockpit and inside stations looks dreadful.

- Walking around around stations is boring and looks bad. You have to do this to access certain functions such as trading. Even more annoying is that it isn't clear who will be inside, so you end up jumping in and out of stations just trying to find what you need. I'm willing to concede that you may learn who is in what, but it isn't in any way made clear at the start of the game, and there is no tutorial to tell you. Character models are really ugly too. It's a real immersion breaker.

- The map is unclear and on a very small scale and lacks a lot of information, so the problem remains that you can't really get a good sense of what station contains what. Again, this may be due to lack of understanding of how the system works, but there is no tutorial and it certainly isn't intuitive.

- One ship only - OK, I knew this going into the game, but it is a step backwards from previous X games where you could fly anything.

- The cockpit creates clutter on the screen. In previous X games you could see to the edge of the screen to monitor where other ships and objects were and fly to them accordingly. The cockpit graphics obscure this so that the only indicator you get once it has left your field of view is if you happen to have that item targeted.

- Control isn't as good as X3. Less shortcut keys. Is apparently being adressed, but the whole game feels very much geared towards using a controller (which I tried and hated).

I was really pumped for this game, and I still want to like it. Egosoft have acknowledged many of the issues, but many others seem structural and I doubt that there is much that they can or will be willing to do to fix it. If they could find a way to bypass the need to enter stations completely then that in itself would be a massive improvement. Whether they will want to chop out a huge swathe of their game remains to be seen. It's a huge shame, because Egosoft have stated that they have been blown away with the sales, with it being number 1 on Steam since release. It just goes to show how much appetite there is for this sort of game.

My understanding is that Egosoft took many of the decisions that they did because of an intention to release the game on consoles. This would explain the decision to go with DX9, and also the fact that the game seems to have been developed around a console controller. If that is in fact the case they have totally shot themselves in the foot given that PC players have to put up with console compromise but no console version materialised.

Unfortunately, as of today, X:3 Albion Prelude is the better game.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

AC: Black Flag, great Pirate game.

Batman arkham origins

batman blackgate origins

GTA V

animal crossing

pokemons

Edited by PointZeroOne

I picked up the X series in a Steam sale a while back (sans Rebirth, obviously), and have been meaning to get into it. I've played combat space-sims before, mainly Freespace + FS2 but with some Wing Commander 2, but I'm also interested in the whole start-as-a-trader-and-work-your-way-up aspect. Which would be the best game to get into? I'm guessing Albion Prelude, but I'm not sure how important the story from the previous games is.

What's your beef with it? [X:R]

There are a few.

[shopping list]

Unfortunately, as of today, X:3 Albion Prelude is the better game.

:/ Yeah. I spent part of the intervening time between question and reply reading the litany of dismay on the Egosoft forums. What you recited echoes a fair chunk of their complaints. You didn't mention the game-breaking bugs many have run up against.

At least one of the 'board members has actually formally and publicly asked for a refund of his preorder.

Egosoft have a habit of releasing buggy software, and patching like fury to fix it. None of their previous titles have been even close to as faulty as this one, though. This one appears to be not merely bugged, but fundamentally flawed. Even a couple of last title's best modders have expressed doubt as to it's fixability - and you probably know how vastly they managed to change that.

I could never get my head around the interface of X3, so I gave up on it and went back to X2. Haven't played it in years though, it probably looks shithouse these days, but I have very fond memories of playing that game.

I picked up the X series in a Steam sale a while back (sans Rebirth, obviously), and have been meaning to get into it. I've played combat space-sims before, mainly Freespace + FS2 but with some Wing Commander 2, but I'm also interested in the whole start-as-a-trader-and-work-your-way-up aspect. Which would be the best game to get into? I'm guessing Albion Prelude, but I'm not sure how important the story from the previous games is.

I entered the series at X2. That was enormous fun once you got into it, but the learning curve might better be described as a cliff.

All of the X3 titles are similarly difficult to get into (as you'd expect), and quite a lot easier than X2. It's not dumbed-down at all, but is much less menu-intensive - you will be thankfull you have a keyboard.

Story-wise, they share a universe, but you don't need to have played the earlier games. Your experience might be a little richer if you have, as you get to point at things and say "I know where that comes from", but you won't be disadvantaged for not doing it.

I could never get my head around the interface of X3, so I gave up on it and went back to X2. Haven't played it in years though, it probably looks shithouse these days, but I have very fond memories of playing that game.

<nod> Took me a while to get used to it, as well. It's a fairly big departure from the older system.

Once I did get used to it, it was every bit as hard to get back to X2.

Well, it only arrived in the post today, so yet to have a go, but tonight I shall be going all nostalgic and playing Rampage: Total Destruction

:)

terraria.... still...

and bf4, but now that the weather is coming good there will be less gaming and more outdoor activities :)

finished dead space 3 last week and loved it

just finished bioshock 3 what i pile of boring psychotic shit the first i enjoyed and the second was ok but the third....

now playing colonial marines its bad but the gameplay is marginally more enjoyable than bs3 so far although the loader fight was shit

bf4 is in the mail

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I entered the series at X2. That was enormous fun once you got into it, but the learning curve might better be described as a cliff.

All of the X3 titles are similarly difficult to get into (as you'd expect), and quite a lot easier than X2. It's not dumbed-down at all, but is much less menu-intensive - you will be thankfull you have a keyboard.

+1 Cybes.

And a second monitor to get on the forums and work out how to do everything!

I wouldn't worry too much about the story, as I wouldn't consider it the be the greatest anyway and you may just choose to sandbox the game anyway. That said, X3 Albion Prelude is definitely the best of them and it the most feature rich. Combat is at it's most fun when you learn what ships to take on and what to avoid.

One niggle that really, really annoyed me in X3, every time I looked at an Earth-like planet just shattered my immersion. Anyone with a passing interest in geography and an eye for detail will see what I mean.

One niggle that really, really annoyed me in X3, every time I looked at an Earth-like planet just shattered my immersion. Anyone with a passing interest in geography and an eye for detail will see what I mean.

Saw it. Not even a blip on my radar of astronomical outrage.

I learned a looong time ago to stop thinking when I play games - or see superhero movies. Or things with gunplay. Or cars. I still haven't managed to shut my brain up when I see something impossible wrt aeroplanes or computers, though. :P