TheMojorising

What are you playing at the moment?

I just couldn't get into the top-down isometric games. I came in at Fallout3 and I fell in love with it.

Good Ol Games is cheapest place at moment.

Check on steam too..

Fallout as a "Boxed set" often goes on sale. (Fallout 1, 2 and Fallout Tactics). I got the boxed set from GOG for about $20 (Aus).

Otherwise, not on sale = $14 or so. (With Fallout 4 released recently the price has been jacked up)

Otherwise, ask your dad. He might be the kind of person that has it.

Be aware that this is turnbased strategy. Combat is "Your turn" "my turn" type stuff. You get Action Points (AP). Firing a gun is 4AP. Moving 1 hex is 1 AP. Reloading is 3AP. Stabbing with a knife is 3AP. Depending on your agility (max 10) you get x AP. So you may get to shoot and reload and have 1 AP left over (assume 8 Agility). You can move 1 hex, or you can 'stand still and defend'. Your AC (Armour Class) goes up 1 point. (It's like you're prepping for an attack and have a better chance of defending yourself. More AP = More AC bonus).

1 combat can last a few minutes. Especially really complex combat.

Also. Save often. Expect to die A LOT! I mean LOTS! This game is without mercy. Random encounter in the wilderness? You just found a hostile army of mutants. You *might* succeed in running away, but more likely Game over dude. This is at level 1 character.

AD

Yeah turn-based combat is something I get in NEO Scavenger on steam, such a good game :D and I play FTL, which is also a relentless game that can fuck you over on a whim, as well as things like Hacknet and Rogue (which are amazing games :D), but yeah, the harder the game is, the more fun I have :P

how does one get fallout 2? I really like this idea :D

Steam or GoG...

It was more of a question of is it free or paid, but yeah I do realise I worded the question wrongly

The 'mod' is free. The game is not. You need to own a legit copy of Fallout 2 (And I don't condone piracy).

As for Smadge1: Fair enough. I can't stand FPS style games. I've completed Doom1, Wolfenstein, HalfLife1 and all expansions and I've completed Portal 1. My biggest complaint by time of Portal 1 was "I really hate twitch gaming". I suck at FPS. And when I start worrying more about the fact that my mouse cursor was off by 5mm in 0.7 seconds, I start losing enjoyment of the game. BUT... I appreciate that some people enjoy the more 'hi action' style play.

I've always been a slow player in strategy games. I'm 'that guy' you waited for in Civilization when you played "Hot Seat".

AD

Good Ol Games is cheapest place at moment.

Check on steam too..

Fallout as a "Boxed set" often goes on sale. (Fallout 1, 2 and Fallout Tactics). I got the boxed set from GOG for about $20 (Aus).

Otherwise, not on sale = $14 or so. (With Fallout 4 released recently the price has been jacked up)

Otherwise, ask your dad. He might be the kind of person that has it.

Be aware that this is turnbased strategy. Combat is "Your turn" "my turn" type stuff. You get Action Points (AP). Firing a gun is 4AP. Moving 1 hex is 1 AP. Reloading is 3AP. Stabbing with a knife is 3AP. Depending on your agility (max 10) you get x AP. So you may get to shoot and reload and have 1 AP left over (assume 8 Agility). You can move 1 hex, or you can 'stand still and defend'. Your AC (Armour Class) goes up 1 point. (It's like you're prepping for an attack and have a better chance of defending yourself. More AP = More AC bonus).

1 combat can last a few minutes. Especially really complex combat.

Also. Save often. Expect to die A LOT! I mean LOTS! This game is without mercy. Random encounter in the wilderness? You just found a hostile army of mutants. You *might* succeed in running away, but more likely Game over dude. This is at level 1 character.

AD

Yeah turn-based combat is something I get in NEO Scavenger on steam, such a good game :D and I play FTL, which is also a relentless game that can fuck you over on a whim, as well as things like Hacknet and Rogue (which are amazing games :D), but yeah, the harder the game is, the more fun I have :P

how does one get fallout 2? I really like this idea :D

Steam or GoG...

It was more of a question of is it free or paid, but yeah I do realise I worded the question wrongly

The 'mod' is free. The game is not. You need to own a legit copy of Fallout 2 (And I don't condone piracy).

As for Smadge1: Fair enough. I can't stand FPS style games. I've completed Doom1, Wolfenstein, HalfLife1 and all expansions and I've completed Portal 1. My biggest complaint by time of Portal 1 was "I really hate twitch gaming". I suck at FPS. And when I start worrying more about the fact that my mouse cursor was off by 5mm in 0.7 seconds, I start losing enjoyment of the game. BUT... I appreciate that some people enjoy the more 'hi action' style play.

I've always been a slow player in strategy games. I'm 'that guy' you waited for in Civilization when you played "Hot Seat".

AD

I normally prefer fps games, and by fps I mean just first person games in general...I normally enjoy a more casual fps, like singleplayer minecraft or skyrim (when you have as many hours as I do or even cybes :P skyrim becomes a casual game)...occasionally I will go and play something more "fast paced" like CS:GO...but if you don't like the traditional "shooter" style of FPS games then just play something more casual like 7 Days to Die or ARK: Survival Evolved, but pretty much enjoy anything that is sandbox and/or hates you :P

I just couldn't get into the top-down isometric games. I came in at Fallout3 and I fell in love with it.

I started in fallout 3 and was like "meh", it was fun but then I found new vegas and that was the beginning of the end :P

• Like 1

I started in fallout 3 and was like "meh", it was fun but then I found new vegas and that was the beginning of the end :P

And then they went backwards in Fallout 4, it seems rich on the surface, but I loved the weapon and ammo mods of NV. it was a way to equip yourself with the weapons you prefer.

• Like 1

That's because NV wasn't made by Bethesda.

Bethesda makes great worlds, but terrible stories.

I have to admit, I tried NV and it gave me a similar level of nostalgia as Half Life 1 did. Story in an FPS environment.

AD

• Like 1

And then they went backwards in Fallout 4, it seems rich on the surface, but I loved the weapon and ammo mods of NV. it was a way to equip yourself with the weapons you prefer.

see, I want to see "fallout 5" or whatever they decide to call it a combination between the two and here's why;

what they need to add from vegas; conversation system, the new one is horrible - weapon mods, you just stated why - the DLCs, because everyone likes DLCs, right? - caesars legion, because no matter how much you deny it, he is right about who should lead the wasteland

what they need to add from 4; gramphics, because they look so good :D - the faction decisions, because picking who to go with has been the third hardest decision in my life (second being skyrim civil war and first being which starter pokemon in red) - sprinting, because it made the wasteland easier to get around in rather than holding w and pressing space over and over and over and over.................... - building, because who doesn't like to build in video games?

and yeah that's about it...we need Fallout: Fall of Vegas, that would be where new caledonia is invaded by somebody from another thing and you have to defend it using the combined forces of whoever you left over in new vegas

That's because NV wasn't made by Bethesda.

Bethesda makes great worlds, but terrible stories.

I have to admit, I tried NV and it gave me a similar level of nostalgia as Half Life 1 did. Story in an FPS environment.

AD

it wasn't O_o I never knew that.........

I decided to Play Dragons Age again but this time with the DLC.

Rolled an Elf Mage Lesbian ( gonna crack onto Sera ) .

Its a great Game and for some reason I am more into it, than the first time around.

perhaps because you had the DLC?

Not got that far yet , I seem to be in less of a hurry to push through, and its more satisfying, last time I researched new places as they turned up then had a million things to do , this time I am working each area more before I go to the next, except for Fallow Mire felt I needed to rescue the soldiers so did that as it came up.

I don't like top down much either. Like first and third person, really like being able to switch between them on the fly.

Never played the others FO4 was my first fallout, I must say I think there is too much emphasis on base building, I am glad it is there for them that like it, just wish it was less bound into the story and a bit more optional.

I get so far in then I am sick of the pathetic cunts whining that the stupidly place camp of theirs is under attack again, could fix it it with turrets and walls and stuff , yeh spend the next several play sessions scrounging the shit and spending time making their untenable camp safe, meanwhile there is great gameplay going to waste.

Edited by Waltish

IT truly is 'each to their own'. My biggest reason for 'hating-on' FPS'ers is because *everything* appears desperate to become an FPS. The current trends completely neglect the strategy gamers. We have Civ 6 coming out soon.. And.......

Well you get the idea. (Yes there is more than that.. I've back Torment: Tides of Numenara and Epic Tavern) But you look at most of the "OMG BIG GAMES". They're FPS style. The VAT system of Fallout 3 is beyond terrible. It tried to please both audiences and it failed me. If it paused the game and allowed 3 seconds of action for each person/creature (or somthing like that) it could have been brilliant. Kind of a "Hit VATS". Screen pans out. Can run here (And show your limits with a shaded area. 2 colours. 1 colour = move and shoot, second colour = move only). You run. You have enough time. You can now turn and shoot. Because you moved percentages go down..

But no.. It's Twitch. With a random pause that feels like a poor ripoff of Max Payne.

Never completed FO3. I got to the part where you find your father and gave up.

NV I watched someone else play. Enjoyed the story, but don't think I'd enjoy the gameplay.

AD

• Like 1

I don't mind shooting but am not a twitchy COD, Battlefield player, I like story and rpg and it could be melee magic or guns , best ones Elder Scrolls , Mass Effect, Dragon Age,

Have just started the uncharted bundle on PS4 its good but I can only play about an hour then find the game mechanic a tad repetitive, but I am cool with doing it in bursts to get some fresh air, Uncharted are an interesting diversion from my usual.

Edited by Waltish

Elder scrolls. (Doing really bad Monty Python accent). ELDER SCROLLS! Back in my day we had Baldurs Gate. AND WE WERE HAPPY WITH IT!

AD

• Like 1

Luxury! I remember a 32MB graphics card that could barley play Deus Ex {;-)

I get so far in then I am sick of the pathetic cunts whining that the stupidly place camp of theirs is under attack again, could fix it it with turrets and walls and stuff , yeh spend the next several play sessions scrounging the shit and spending time making their untenable camp safe, meanwhile there is great gameplay going to waste.

Another settlement needs our help!

I don't mind shooting but am not a twitchy COD, Battlefield player, I like story and rpg and it could be melee magic or guns , best ones Elder Scrolls , Mass Effect, Dragon Age,

Have just started the uncharted bundle on PS4 its good but I can only play about an hour then find the game mechanic a tad repetitive, but I am cool with doing it in bursts to get some fresh air, Uncharted are an interesting diversion from my usual.

Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Portal that's the games that I enjoy for a traditional FPS :P

my worst computer had 512MB of RAM XD I don't even know what the GPU had so don't even ask, it died recently-ish, but yeah, computers have come a long way even in the past few years!

• Like 1

hehhe.

My first computer was a C64. It didn't really 'rate' with me. Then....

My first PC was an IBM XT. 640kB memory. NO Hdd. 2 x 360k floppy (TWO.. TWO OF THEM! RARRRR!!) CGA graphics. I don't think it even rated having onboard memory.

4MHz processor (When you pressed the Turbo Button. Else it was 1MHz)

My first game every played on the PC was Zork. After that, there was a game called Tapper. I was awesome at that. I had it timed that beers were shooting down the bar before the 'bad guys' even appeared.

AD

• Like 2

hehhe.

My first computer was a C64. It didn't really 'rate' with me. Then....

My first PC was an IBM XT. 640kB memory. NO Hdd. 2 x 360k floppy (TWO.. TWO OF THEM! RARRRR!!) CGA graphics. I don't think it even rated having onboard memory.

4MHz processor (When you pressed the Turbo Button. Else it was 1MHz)

My first game every played on the PC was Zork. After that, there was a game called Tapper. I was awesome at that. I had it timed that beers were shooting down the bar before the 'bad guys' even appeared.

AD

God, I'd basically forgotten Tapper!

Pretty sure 4.77 MHz was the lowest clock speed any PC ever had. First turbo was in clones that increased it to about 6 or 8. Turbo was a necessity mainly to slow down when issues of speed or compatability arose... but of course a Turbo button sells something better than a SlowDown button.

I think maybe the rest of the computer was crap! :P

Deus Ex plays decently at 1024x768 on a pair of 12MB Voodoo2's, but you need a fast Pentium 3 or Athlon/Duron.

Edited by SquallStrife
  • Like 1

Yep, the requirements weren't much more than the original UT - same engine though generally greater use of detailed outdoor areas.

Pretty sure I initially had UT on a crappy Celeron 466 and 3DFx Voodoo 4 Meg passthru card. Of course it was a bit painful, and became good reason to upgrade.

Realistically, UT didn't play all that well on anything under a TNT Pro. And preferably a CPU of 800 MHz or better.

• Like 1

I'm playing Fallout 4 like its crack.

Say what you will about the game not being a true Fallout game anymore. It is still such an addictive and fun game with heaps of value for its time spent.

I've never spent 20 hours on a game so quickly after installing it.

I played and still play Skyrim like it's crack

What I loved about my situation with Fallout 4 is that since I came to the party so late, I've heard so many negative things about how disappointing the writing/story is, how its not a true fallout game, etc, etc, that it got my expectations so low that everything I discover in the game becomes an unexpected delight.

Hype and great expectations works both ways folks. And for that I'm enjoying Fallout 4 all the more.

It's like how when I finally went to see The Dark Knight Rises after a hundred rewatches of the trailers and many article reads: it felt like a huge disappointment as I walked out of IMAX. This time its the opposite! Win!

• Like 1

I think maybe the rest of the computer was crap! :P

Deus Ex plays decently at 1024x768 on a pair of 12MB Voodoo2's, but you need a fast Pentium 3 or Athlon/Duron.

750 mhz Duron 256 MB ram the card was a no name generic thing I bought to replace the 16MB card that could not run DX at all, Was my first PC game it came bundled with the 4xCD writer

It was ok till the action/shooting started then it was like a slide show.

Though my system was lame I have been out llamma'd several times in this thread hehehe

Edited by Waltish

I think I had the 3Dfx teamed with a standard Diamond card... of the few cards I had at the time it was best of the lot.

I built a couple of K6-2 systems in the day... the problem with the faster K6 was they were flogging a dead horse platform (Skt 7) but did help AMD raise the cash to fund the Athlon.

• Like 1

I think I had the 3Dfx teamed with a standard Diamond card... of the few cards I had at the time it was best of the lot.

I built a couple of K6-2 systems in the day... the problem with the faster K6 was they were flogging a dead horse platform (Skt 7) but did help AMD raise the cash to fund the Athlon.

Yes and then AMD broke the GigaHertz Barrier my first Athlon was 1.2 GHZ hot stuff (in more ways than one) at the time .

I got a Duron 800 to run stable at 1.1GHz. I did the pencil mod. I learnt the pencil mod trick from a magazine that had just been released. Was in issue #1. You may of heard of it. Was called "Atomic"

(FULL CIRCLE! HOORAY!)

AD

• Like 1