Sign in to follow this  
fajw

Replacing an HDD as part of RAID in Linux

Okay; it looks like dd finished. What now? I tried sudo apt-get install gdisk but it wouldn't work. Perhaps there is some confusion; I am using a Red Hat based distribution.

Thanks.

The more specifics the better, which distro and what release? They usually have specific sets of packages.

Something to try though:

sudo updatedb
locate sgdisk

This updates the locate database (an index of the filesystem) and does a search for a particular file, see if the tools is actually installed or not.

It looks like it isn't installed. The operating system is ClearOS 6.4 which is based on CentOS which is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Edited by fajw

If you're doing it all from the command line, and can't get gdisk to install, perhaps try using parted instead. I know that can deal with GPT partition tables.

sudo apt-get install parted
Link: man page

Also, this website might help if you're stuck with RAID problems on linux.

Oops, since you're using CentOS, this should be the correct command:

yum -y install parted
Edited by Electr0

Just popped in to say, thank you everyone, I'm learning a lot from this thread. Its the missing 'confidience' i needed to use linux as a file server.

Also to say; THIS! exactly this, is why windows server won for my RAID.

I changed drive controller, swapped drive position, put in a new drive of different (but larger) size, and I couldnt break the fucker.

Came back solid every time.

Say what you will for open source; i love it; and ZFS is looking better each revision; but for an end user. ^ that up there is why it hasnt caught on.

Good luck, i'll be waiting for the outcome :)