Sign in to follow this  
ROUBOS

Your opinion on this weird PC problem...

Hi Atomicans,

I'm facing this weird PC problem with my friend's computer.

He has been having issues with blue screens (win7), and PC failures. Now I did take it home to fix it up, did some memtests etc. Updated drivers and BIOS, used an SSD with a fresh win7 install. Ran games and all was sweet. It worked.

So he takes it home and the issues started again. Blue screens and windows failures. Even changed video card.

Now my question is, could the source of power be causing this? He does use a UPS an the UPS does not beep or anything to indicate that the power voltage is a problem. But why does it work fine at my place, and at my office but not at his house?

How can test to see if the power could be causing all these errors?

I even took out unnecessary USB items connected, did memetest with no errors, changed video card and HDD. It seemed fine at my place, and when he took it back at his house it caused all the same problems again.

any thoughts?

Need more info. It could be baby jesus smiting down on your friends pc.

Whats the blue screen code? Get bluescreenviewer and post the code+driver errors.

Could be a USB device. The chance of it being the cord or PSU is about as good as baby jesus smiting your friends pc.

did you do a fresh install on HIS HDD?

Yes I did do a fresh install on the HDD. Will try to get the blue screen error screenshot.

I even took out unnecessary USB items connected

any thoughts?

Remove all external devices connected and plug in a new or known working mouse and keyboard. IE remove all his peripherals.

Don't forget the USB or serial lead from the PC to the UPS.

Test. If ok replace or connect one of his peripherals and test again.

My guess would be a dodgy mouse or KB. Had a similar issue recently with a customers PC and it was of all things, the mouse causing the problem. Was a PS2 mouse though and the new mouse is USB so perhaps a PS2 port issue?

I even took out unnecessary USB items connected

any thoughts?

Remove all external devices connected and plug in a new or known working mouse and keyboard. IE remove all his peripherals.

Don't forget the USB or serial lead from the PC to the UPS.

Test. If ok replace or connect one of his peripherals and test again.

My guess would be a dodgy mouse or KB. Had a similar issue recently with a customers PC and it was of all things, the mouse causing the problem. Was a PS2 mouse though and the new mouse is USB so perhaps a PS2 port issue?

I think you are right on target old fellow, there is one more possibility, it might be haunted ;)

OK after doing more tests I think that the mobo is dead.

Tried a different PSU with no luck.

Took out the RAM, got beeps.

It even hangs on post. Sometimes it hangs where it says "Loading Express Gate", or at the AMD logo screen.

Sometimes it will start up and go past POST if its cool enough, and once you hit the reset button, it hangs again. Power on the fans and lights but no video out and no beeps.

When it is cool and it starts up it does beep for Post and starts up. But the you get a blue screen at windows. Restart and you get no bees.

thinking of getting a new mobo. Currently its the ASUS M4A79XTD EVO, with the AMS Phenom II X4 965 CPU.

Should I get a socket AM3+ mobo and use the same CPU in case he wants to upgrade the cpu later? Is it worth it? Or go for a simple AM3 mobo???

OK after doing more tests I think that the mobo is dead.

Tried a different PSU with no luck.

Took out the RAM, got beeps.

Did you do as I suggested re the peripherals especially changing the mouse and keyboard or did you just ignore all that?

mice and keyboards cause some serious BSOD's when they're on their way out.

One of the few PROs of older PS\2 peripherals really.

Though, true story, I once had a Dell keyboard. Worked on ANY pcs I tried.

However if I plugged it into a certain series of Compaq the Bios would reset, windows would BSOD, and often would just boot loop or hard hang.....

On all of them! Its bloody PS\2??!? that to this day is the strangest thing.

With ANY other hardware mix, neither device was faulty.

thanks for the replies.

I tried differnet mouse and keyboard. Even new ones. Also tried USB keyboard and PS/2 keyboard. No luck.

Been trying to get Hiren's Boot to run with no luck.

Today I'll try one ram chip at the time and see how it goes.

Damn.

Well if you have tried just the motherboard and 1 stick of ram, no peripherals or addin cards of any kind, just a monitor..

It looks like a faulty board.

If you can get it booted at all on the odd chance, try reset bios default, and then update to latest bios, then reset again.

Well I have set the BIOS to default.

Also tried one stick of ram at the time. Got the blue screen even using Hiren's boot dvd 15.2, while trying to load the live WinXP.

Could not get to test the second stick of ram cause the pc does not boot properly once it boots once. Needs to cool down for a while before booting again. Not just a couple of minutes. More than that.

I will try my own RAM on it tomorrow and see. If that does not work, then a new mobo will be ordered.

Ok last checks before replacing the mobo. Double check all the heatsinks etc are seated properly. Not only the CPU but the motherboard ones as well. Have seen these break their mounts in the past, or otherwise come loose.

Also as a last check disconnect all the HDDs and optical drives and see if you can boot to the bios repeatedly without any errors.

OK just got back from checking the mobo again. Checked the heatsinks as Titan suggested. They seem fine.

So here is what I did. Used different RAM sticks, it loaded once, then same things again.

So I tried the mobo with nothing on it. Got beeps for RAM.

then tried with RAM and nothing else. Got beeps for Video Card.

Then tried with RAM and Video card only, can got stuck on startup again.

So I used a PCI PC Analyzer and from the codes and leds, it seems that the loading gets stuck in a loop.

One of the leds does not turn on and the book of the Analyser says : "..there is a circular frame message" and the display gives a loop repeat of codes.

So left it there for a while, and a minute or two later, it got out of that loop and got stuck with showing "Loading ASUS Express Gate" message on the screen.

From all that I do now think that 90% it is the mobo. Will have to order a new one.

Might go for a mobob with socket AM3+ that supports the AM3 CPU, in case of future upgrade, then we'll only have to get a new CPU and not a mobo again. (your thoughts? am I right?)

thanks

looking at ASUS M5A97 R2.0

will that take the phenom II X4 965 AM3?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/#support_CPU

Phenom IIX4 965 (HDZ965FBK4DGI),3.4GHz,140W,rev.C2,SocketAM3,Quad-Core ALL 0208

Phenom IIX4 965 (HDZ965FBK4DGM),3.4GHz,125W,rev.C3,SocketAM3,Quad-Core ALL 0208

So needs bios 0208 or later and as bios 0208 is the first release bios then definitely yes.

Here we go.

So I bought a new mobo.

Got the ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 which is compatible with the Phenom II X4 965, and in case he wants to upgrade later he can get a new CPU 8 core AM3+.

I actually got two the same mobos and upgraded my PC with the FX 8350. I had no problems with mine. Works like a charm.

Now my friend's problematic PC had the following issue.

It would not boot at first, them booted into BIOS and only recognised half the ram, then it would not boot again and it kept showing the red cpu led. So no post at all.

Tried different ram, tried a different cpu (fx 4100), tried 3 different PSUs, tried everything in a new case.... .NO LUCK.

Stack with the red cpu led and no post.

So what could it be????

Could one of the two mobos have come faulty? Again my friend the one out of luck??? Waht can I do???

any thoughts?