bastian

Do servers need Linux(Ubuntu)?

I've been researching servers, specifically larger dedicated servers, and a lot of the sources I've been to mention that I would need Ubuntu or another open source OS to run the server but they also say that I would need to know how to work the terminal. I was just wondering if I wanted to get the most out a server used for say hosting an MMO's shards would I need an OS or is the terminal sufficient? or if not Which open source OS would be best for that sort of thing?

I've been researching servers, specifically larger dedicated servers, and a lot of the sources I've been to mention that I would need Ubuntu or another open source OS to run the server but they also say that I would need to know how to work the terminal. I was just wondering if I wanted to get the most out a server used for say hosting an MMO's shards would I need an OS or is the terminal sufficient? or if not Which open source OS would be best for that sort of thing?

terminal would be sufficient.

Ubuntu is easiest to use, and has either minimal install, server install or many different GUIs.

Debian, Arch and Redhat(CentOS) are your other options.

I use CentOS for my home server (PBX, Caching Proxy, File server) but at work we only use Windows Server (hundreds of them).

IMO Debian is one of the best options.

It's stable as all hell and its rare not to see it supported for a package you need.

Ubuntu is nice if you want a desktop machine.

ubuntu or its variants, purely because its nice to use and can have a GUI added.

maybe Lubuntu + your required server packages? hat way you have a GUI if you're new. I know its saved my ass a few times.

Im a windows server fanboi though if it wasnt so expensive.

In the end it just comes down to what you're used too and what does the job. If you know how to navigate and use Ubuntu then choose that. If not, choose something else.

I have a mix of both at home. Microsoft Windows Server with Active Directory seeing as i have more experience with that than i do with OpenLDAP. My webserver runs on Ubuntu, but i could have used Deban seeing as they are essentiually the same.

Everyone has a favourite for different reasons.

The best advice i ever heard was the following (Not word for word): Use what you know! Using something more secure that you know f*ck all about is just less secure.*

*With that being said, if you only know heaps of outdated and virus infested shit then get your act together, lol!

Edited by smakme7757

For productions systems I tend to go with an LTS release of Ubuntu Server. While I like the stability of a Debian system often packages are several versions behind. Of course this is entirely dependant on what you are planning on doing with the servers.

My use case is scalable web applications where more recent packages offer features or other improvements required for kinds of tasks we need typically deployed onto AWS (Amazon Web Services).

you may create a server from any linux distibution.

Because the underlying arch is the Linux Kernel.

Cheers, Glenn