Sign in to follow this  
smakme7757

I scratched that itch

I have been itching to do this forever. My blog has been hosted at One.com for a long time now and a few days ago I decided that I would host it at home. I was happy with One.com, but I wanted to do this myself. It is a challenge and I could finally put my home server to good use.

After a lot of blood sweat and tears I finally have it up and running. I even went the extra mile and picked up an SSL cert for it and spent time on getting an A rating at SSLLabs.com

Blog: https://jackkb.net

Then of course came the hard part. Redirecting all those old backlinks floating around on the web, setting up a secure and reliable backup strategy and getting my home network into shape.

For those interested in the server hardware:

CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4Ghz

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3

GPU: Nvidia Geforce 210

Storage:

2x 120GB Corsair Force SSD – RAID 0

2x 640GB WD Black 7200RPM – RAID0

1x 1.5TB WD Black 7200RPM

1x 240GB Intel 520 SSD

Network:

Netgear GS108 Switch

NETGEAR ProSafe Smart Switch 8P gigabit

ASUS RT-N66U Router

As you can see it’s mostly just old parts thrown together.

The server is running Windows Server Standard with the Hyper-V role enabled. All other services are run in a VM, so I can reduce the down time of the host due to restarts and updates and so on.

The webserver and firewall runs on the Force drives so they can boot up as fast as possible after a restart, which minimizes downtime. I have chosen Ubuntu Server 13.04 as my webserver OS. As for backups I am using VEEAM Free to keep everything backed up. I cannot afford a license so I am just running it manually when I need to.

I used about two days to optimize everything to the best of my ability. Compression in apache, turning off unused modules, getting permissions just right and so on. It was a hell of a job. Then there was getting VEEAM installed and running in the domain, opening firewall ports and so on. I’m extremely happy. I’ve tested the site on a few speed test sites and it seems to be pretty quick, so I’d appreciate it if someone here could visit it to see how fast it loads.

Anyhow I’m just rambling on, but yea. That has been my latest project.

:)

Edited by smakme7757

So making use of that pathetic fibre speed you get are you? The speed that wowsers here in Aus say we don't need?

:P

Seems to load nice and quick considering my connection speed and load ATM.

Nice work, are you also hosting the DNS yourself or do you have a DNS provider with an A record set to your static IP? Or if you dont have a static IP do you have some kind of DDNS setup? Have you also locked everything down with some kind firewall? I was too nervous to even leave a port open to SSH to my server remotely and shut it down after a few days. I had an issue with my pool in those few days, was most likely coincidental but made me panic. I'm pretty nervous about exposing my hardware to the world. I would like to learn how to open up safely, should probably do some reading.

If my connection wasn't something like 4.8mbit/0.9mbit I'd probably like to give something like this a go too :(

Well done. I originally hosted all my own sites at house, off my ADSL2 connection. I since migrated to a VPS. Why?

- Saves my electricity bill

- Gives regular automated backups

- Hosted in a datacenter on a phat arse fibre

- Easily upgraded to more RAM/CPU/Hard Disk (click of a button and wait for a few minutes).

- FREE ('cause I work for the parent company).

Performance from my VPS

Posted Image

Edited by kikz

So making use of that pathetic fibre speed you get are you? The speed that wowsers here in Aus say we don't need?

:P

Seems to load nice and quick considering my connection speed and load ATM.

Haha, yea. I don't know why Australia is so slow in that department. I guess it's purely because they have no one else to think about. Australia is kind of behind in quite a lot of different technological areas. Banking is one of them. Due to countries bordering with other countries Europe have had to setup systems which allow ease exchange of money. So the VISA card became standard yonks ago. When i moved here all i had was that shitty Maestro card from the Commonwealth and they said my best bet was travellers cheques (Da fuk...). Now, my norwegian card works everywhere in the world as long as they take VISA. No bullshit, no applications, you can only get a VISA card here. Mastercard is reserved for credit. Things might have changed in the last 6 years, but that's my experience :).

When it comes to fiber, i guess Australia just has to pull their finger out and get on with it. With that being said there are still areas here that don't have access to fiber yet. So it's no golden grail, but i'd say more consumers have fiber here than in AUS.

Thanks for checking the speed btw :), good to know.

Personally i don't feel that the majority of citizens need more than 20Mb/s upload, but we also don't need massive houses, or V8 engine and so on. So "need" really shouldn't be a concern for modern countries that thrive on "having" everything.

Nice work, are you also hosting the DNS yourself or do you have a DNS provider with an A record set to your static IP? Or if you dont have a static IP do you have some kind of DDNS setup? Have you also locked everything down with some kind firewall? I was too nervous to even leave a port open to SSH to my server remotely and shut it down after a few days. I had an issue with my pool in those few days, was most likely coincidental but made me panic. I'm pretty nervous about exposing my hardware to the world. I would like to learn how to open up safely, should probably do some reading.

If my connection wasn't something like 4.8mbit/0.9mbit I'd probably like to give something like this a go too :(

I have two internal DNS caching servers at home, but I haven't setup any zones. I only have a single dynamic IP at home, so i'm using a DNS service from DynDNS which keeps everything in check. If i had a static IP i would most certainly setup BIND at home, but that's just not the case unfortunately.

Everything sits behind a NAT router so I've only got port 80 and 443 forwarded to my webserver. However I also have a Sophos UTM between the NAT router and the webserver so all inbound and outbound communication will have to pass through that before it hits the webserver. The UTM provides:

*Firewall

*Intrusion prevention system (SNORT)

*Web Access Firewall: Cross site scripting analyis, SQLi protection, Signed cookies, Antivirus scanning - either up or downloads or both, URL hardening and heaps of other fancy stuff :).

The UTM is pretty neat, it's also free as well.

But at the end of the day any firewall or UTM is just going to stop known threats and block or open ports. Keeping the system up to date with decent passwords is the best protection.

Also I don't have SSH available from the WAN. I have an Openvpn server setup at home which i have to dial into if i want to access anything like that away from home. So I tunnel in, change what i need to change and tunnel out :).

Well done. I originally hosted all my own sites at house, off my ADSL2 connection. I since migrated to a VPS. Why?

- Saves my electricity bill

- Gives regular automated backups

- Hosted in a datacenter on a phat arse fibre

- Easily upgraded to more RAM/CPU/Hard Disk (click of a button and wait for a few minutes).

- FREE ('cause I work for the parent company).

Performance from my VPS

Posted Image

Nice bandwidth and a bonus with it being free! Are they running on vSphere? I'd imagine it would be pretty straight forward to have a few PowerCLI scripts to take care of hardware upgrades which if a damn nice feature!

I don't have that much bandwidth at home, this is what i have:

Posted Image

Edited by smakme7757

Posted Image

jeazuz you still have that insane up speed?

Happy Birthday smakme7757 ... you've been busy ;)

/ end derail.

Posted Image

jeazuz you still have that insane up speed?

Yea i don't know why it's uncapped. Sometime i get like 250Mb/s. I have a feeling they have left upload speed uncapped and it just gets determined by how many people are using the line? I don't know. I'm supposed to be on a 70/70 plan, but I'll take 70/150 haha :D

Happy Birthday smakme7757 ... you've been busy ;)

/ end derail.

hehe yeah top speeds :) We run on Xen.

e: oh yeah. I meant to mention pingdom as one of the many tools you can use to check the performance of your site (amongst other things) from around the world.

Edited by kikz