Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
drago13666

So who here is for a sex party?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...5-12377,00.html

SEX sells, and the newly formed Australian Sex Party knows it.

That's why, even with what seem to be sensible policies rooted in a desire to make sexuality and discussions about it less touchy subjects, the party has chosen a name that stands out from the traditional ballot paper line-up.

The party, with the slogan "we're serious about sex", launches at Melbourne Sexpo on November 20th and party convenor Fiona Patten is confident it will gain the 500 members required to register and contest state Upper House and Senate seats.

Ms Patten, who is also the chief executive of the Eros Association - representing the adult retail and entertainment industry, said she and others were concerned about the Government's proposed internet filter, which is being tested over summer on about 10,000 sites to block "unwanted content".

"This really came out of 20 years of lobbying on sex and censorship and then... the latest being the compulsory internet filter, which will ... prohibit and blacklist adult material that is currently legal in magazines, books and film," she said.

"When we started talking about the Australian Sex Party, we realised that sex is a lot broader than just censorship and a lot of the policies are a lot broader."

Also on the party's list of policies, to be announced at the launch, is a national sex education school curriculum.

The party's provocative and potentially alienating name was a decision the group wrestled with, Ms Patten said.

"We felt that - sex in a crowded room - now we've got your attention. It's half the problem with politicians, because they still giggle when they say the word sex, and that's why we have such idiotic policies at state and federal levels," she said.

"Let's try and own that word on most government forms."

Ms Patten said there had already been a lot of interest from potential members.

"We'll probably have our 500 members by the time we launch on Thursday. But there's four million customers of adult shops in Australia."

She also hoped the 1000 or so adult shops around the country would become Sex Party branches.

"Hopefully we'll get their attention with the word but then we may be able to help influence some reasonably sensible policies."

It will be interesting to see how seriously it is taken but certainly i think it is a move in the right direction, anything to get politicals to stop skirting round these issues because the are afraid of the words and possible connotations.

and as a side affect it might make politics more interesting which can only be a positive.

lol i'd love to see ballot papers that just work at the next election.

who will you vote for?

Liberal Green Sex,

or perhapse

Independant Sex Labor

Why do we need another sex party? I thought all political parties are out there to screw you over?

Why so serious?

Posted Image

Edited by Oracle X

Haha, I was wondering how long it would take someone to post about this.

I'm all for it, might put some of these more vocal wowsers in their place.

But I think they'll have to broaden the scope of policy if they want to be taken seriously.

Well, I'll be the first to say that they'll be my party of choice if we get an Alien Versus Predator option like we did in the last WA State elections.

Cool.

I'm still waiting for sex to become a field of professional athletic endeavour... we compete at everything else; why should sex be an exception?

I wanna know who is World Fucking Champion.

So long as their policies are decent and make sense, I'd vote for them. Seriously.

The thing about sex issues is that at the same time they're hyped up too much and dismissed too much. Sex and sexuality are considered by many to be frivolous, silly things with which the government shouldn't be bothered. At the same time, a lot of these people are way too happy to scream out against same-sex unions, the legalisation and regulation of prostitution and other such things -- they'll fight nail and tooth to keep these things off the statute books and kick up a big stink.

If there was better sex education out there and the general public's understanding of sexuality issues more closely matched what academics have discovered in recent years, then there'd be far fewer problems. Personally, I don't see why sex should be such a "private" issue. It's an anachronism that's stuck with us since the time of Queen Victoria and it's counterproductive. Sex is very important; it's part of what makes us living beings and for some people (especially members of sexual minorities) it can actually have quite a significant impact on their social relations. That's why I think that governments should start taking a more enlightened stance on the issue. Thankfully some governments in Europe have started going down that route. I think it's about time that Australia did the same thing.

Mind you, I do have a bit of an issue with the name. I think that it's a strategically poor choice because a lot of people will just assume that they're a joke party, just like the HEMP (Help End Marijuana Prohibition) party that ran in Queensland a while back. Other people won't vote for them just because they're prudish. On the other hand, however, there will probably be lots of people who will read their policies, realise that they're for real (assuming that they are...) and actually vote for them. If they actually manage to get any seats, then their name might actually work in their favour.

People really need to stop thinking of sex as a dirty word and as a dirty thing and face the reality -- every hormonal instinct in our bodies tells us to fuck. So why the fuck is it so taboo? ;)

Cool.

I'm still waiting for sex to become a field of professional athletic endeavour... we compete at everything else; why should sex be an exception?

I wanna know who is World Fucking Champion.

They already have it.... It's called the "Pole Vault" for a reason.

Sounds good to me XD

If there's one thing we need, it's more sex parties.

That, and they need to gain enough votes to outdo the Family Firsts - The most evil party of them all.

I'd vote for them, if only to add my voice to the "let's talk about sex the way we talk about nutrition: sensibly, with maturity like actual adults"

I would vote for them.

But seriously does anyone involved really understand the technology.

You can get around it by using Tor or a VPN server in the US (either free or paid for).