Sign in to follow this  
Gamertech

HTPC/NAS Build

lol anything plays tanks, it's not exactly resource intensive :P Although I'd have to dodgy it a bit to get it running on Linux...

lol anything plays tanks, it's not exactly resource intensive :P Although I'd have to dodgy it a bit to get it running on Linux...

I've tried that before, with mild success :-P

Alrighty, parts are on their way :)

Final build is as follows.

OS - Mythbuntu

Case - Silverstone Grandia GD08 Black

Mobo - ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4-M

CPU - AMD A10 5800K

RAM - Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

PSU - Corsair HX-650 V2

OD - Pioneer BDR-208DBKS 15X Blu-Ray Writer

Tuner - Hauppauge HVR2200 MCE PCIe Dual Hybrid

HDDx4 - Western Digital Red 3TB WD30EFRX - RAID 5

Remote - Logitech Harmony with MCE IR receiver

Freebie SSD for OS

Will post pics when I get the parts :P

Alright, I've got my parts and have been working on the HTPC for the past 2.5 days. 2 of those days were trying to get Linux to recognise the TV tuner card that was meant to be fricking 'plug and play' with Mythbuntu... Yea bullshit...

0.4 of those days were spent trying to get Linux to recognise the RAID 5 array that it built itself a few minutes earlier and for some reason couldn't see anymore...

30 mins of that time was spent wiping that Linux garbage off my computer, installing a proper OS and setting up Mediaportal and sitting on my arse watching... I mean... 'testing' the TV function...

And that proper OS is...?

Posted Image

I'll post pics of the hardware when I've finished tweaking everything, the Silverstone case is brilliant but the design team must've had a brain-fart when they decided to match a nice quiet, low power HTPC case with the loudest fricking fans they've got...

For now, pics of Mediaportal in action :)P

Posted Image

Posted Image

while you'll need things like mediaportal for recording; can I suggest XBMC for playback? nothing is quite as good :D

And if those loud fans are run by the PSU directly;

Negative (Fan black) INTO +5v (PSU molex red)

Positive (Fan Red) INTO +12v (PSU molex yellow)

Run them at 7v. Most fans have 80%+ original CFM at 7v still :)

Edited by Master_Scythe

And if those loud fans are run by the PSU directly;

They aren't, they're all 3-pins running off the mobo. I've got some sound optimised Scythes around here somewhere so I'll swap them out once I find them, and I've got to swap the CPU cooler out anyway, it just isn't coping even with the A10 undervolted. 50C is fine generally but I prefer it a bit cooler.

I'm not a fan of the mobo though, while the layout's fine, ASRock have cut a fair few corners with the BIOS including the ability for S3/4/5 sleep which is rather helpful in a HTPC that hibernates... So there's no way to turn the peripherals off atm...

Other than that, everything is awesome. The remote works brilliantly, Mediaportal is great at recording live TV though playback of .mkv files generates a noticeable audio desync which I have to look into. I'll give the XBMC plugin a look at thanks mate.

Edited by Gamertech

while you'll need things like mediaportal for recording; can I suggest XBMC for playback? nothing is quite as good :D

Well, I just tried XBMC as Mediaportal has a plugin that can combine MP's TV server with XBMC's UI...

God damn it sucks compared to Mediaportal... Seriously... XBMC's UI and navigation are just complete garbage in comparison...And yes I did look through the skins...

Even the simple things like going from the TV channel list to full screen TV proved impossible with the MCE remote setup whereas it's 1 button in MP, the menu layout itself was horrible compared to MP, especially the add-ons section... You finish configuring an add-on, you back out of the menu and pick a different category for the next one and the menu goes back to exactly where you were before you backed out... You have to scroll up the top of the list and hit the up folder link several times over until you get back to the category list before you can get on with it...

As for watching TV (which I had to plug in the keyboard and mouse in order to open the full screen as it just wasn't working with the remote...), the overlay would randomly pop up several times while watching (which MP doesn't do), and unlike MP's nice, neat and unobtrusive little info bar... This thing takes up 3/4 of the screen which of course completely blocks whatever you were watching at the time...

I didn't try it with playing stored video files as I just raged and went back to MP which welcomed me with open arms and the latest episode of Defiance which had just...umm....arrived...and was automatically detected, cleaned, renamed appropriately and brought to my attention for my viewing pleasure as soon as MP was loaded...