Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
fajw

Windows RAID 1 vs motherboard RAID 1

Windows RAID1.

They both consume CPU cycles because the onboard one doesnt have its own processor like a dedicated card.

Advantage of a WINDOWS raid of any sort, is that its machine independant. Even RAID5 can move between hardware and windows versions.

I made a RAID5 on an old Win2k server, broke it, and before repairing it, moved it to a newer machine running Windows Server 2008.

Completely different hardware, not even the same brand controller, and drives in a different order.

Windows noticed it was a RAID set and repaired it.

Fucking.... just wow.

It's something i'm glad I tested.

Is motherboard RAID 1 machine dependent? Isn't it just like having two normal HDD?

no, its machine dependant. or more specifically, RAID controller dependant.

Yeah you can 'rebuild' the raid from a single drive; but with windows it'll just re-sync.

How did you go about doing the Windows RAID? I have noticed that there are such things as Windows Storage Spaces which have had a lot of bad rep.

I am thinking of doing the same thing running some Red drives in a RAID 5 config.

without a server edition (which I had), the latest machine you can do it on is XP, and even then it needs a hack to enable RAID5 again.

works flawlessly though.

without a server edition (which I had), the latest machine you can do it on is XP, and even then it needs a hack to enable RAID5 again.

works flawlessly though.

Oh, I mean with a Server edition... Server 2012 for example

It's been a while.... but if i remember; If you have 3 drives with no partitions on them, when you select to make a new partition on one of the drives, an option is to make a new raid partition. Then you specify the disks.

I think....

It's all done through the usual windows disk managment anyway; its not tricky.

I just did it on a 2012 VM. It is easy as!

Yep basically, right click and "create RAID 5 VOlume", add the disks and it does the rest! Very simple!

How did you go about doing the Windows RAID? I have noticed that there are such things as Windows Storage Spaces which have had a lot of bad rep.

I am thinking of doing the same thing running some Red drives in a RAID 5 config.

I've looked Storage space when I saw that you can do expanding volumes in Win 8. read that is was the consumer version of server thing. but no one seemed to have 1st ahnd information about it, which was frustrating.

Did you find much in the way of useful information for using it?

What is the difference between an HDD that is part of a level 1 software RAID and an HDD that is part of a level 1 motherboard RAID?

What is the difference between an HDD that is part of a level 1 software RAID and an HDD that is part of a level 1 motherboard RAID?

What do you mean? Does this not cover it?

Advantage of a WINDOWS raid of any sort, is that its machine independant. Even RAID5 can move between hardware and windows versions.

I made a RAID5 on an old Win2k server, broke it, and before repairing it, moved it to a newer machine running Windows Server 2008.

Completely different hardware, not even the same brand controller, and drives in a different order.

Windows noticed it was a RAID set and repaired it.

Fucking.... just wow.

It's something i'm glad I tested.

basically hardware raid, even on a dumb controller, risks being very hardware dependent if you have a board failure.

What do you mean? Does this not cover it?

Yes; it does not cover it.

Perhaps I should have asked the following.

What is the difference between an HDD in a level 1 RAID and an HDD that is not part of any RAID if the data is the same?

Raid1 vs no raid?

in raid1 the data is duplicated onto 2 drives for redundancy, and better read speed (with a slight hit to write speed)

No raid, the drive acts as planned with onboard cache and platter speed and what have you deciding most of the throughput; and no redundancy.

if you're a little more specific with the question, and give some background as to the use, we could potentially help you out more?

What is the difference in the contents of the HDD in motherboard RAID 1 vs software RAID 1? I would have thought there would be no difference nad if one drive fails you can just use it normally like a single drive.

Edited by fajw

there would likely be a marker used by each to alert the control system (software or pseudo hardware) that this is drive X of Y; otherwise id assume nothing else.

Okay.

So if you took an HDD out of a software or hardware level 1 RAID could you use it as a normal drive by itself?

Edited by fajw

I've used Intel ICHR onboard raid. I moved an raid 5 array from an Intel 965p board with ICH8R to a Intel X48 board with ICH9R and it worked fine. This is pre windows boot. I've not used the Windows built in raid function before.

I don't have experience using a RAID 1 as a standalone drive, but it seems you'll have two clones, Drive A and Drive B which can be used in different computers. Drivers would need updating. You can't put them back together afterwards though, would be a mess. This thread has more information: RIAD1 - can disk be used as standalone - Anandtec

Yep.

If anyone else has had experience otherwise, chime in.

Doesn't that contradict your statement "its machine dependant. or more specifically, RAID controller dependant."? Edited by fajw

no.

Though you do make a good point; raid1 usually isnt detrimentally controller dependant, you have to rebuild one, but no biggie there. its more 5 I'd worry about.

Edited by Master_Scythe