Modz

Back to H2O again, with a twist of Resident evil.

I have edited this to reflect my current changes and progress. Idea's and orientation has changed so hopefully people can follow the build better now. I will try keep this up to date each time i install/make changes so you won't have to go fishing for details later in the thread. I'll try keep 1 progress photo showing the current stage of the build in this post, but more detailed and other photos will be further along in the post. I'll also clean up the thread at the end and consolidate all the main photos and information into this original post once the build is complete. If you are following the build, checking back once a fortnight should be about the right pace of the build to not miss anything, once a month for major things.

This builds main hardware items are:

Intel i5 2500K

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard

16Gb RipjawsX 1333Mhz GSkill CAS7 Ram

SLI EVGA GTX760 SC 2GB GPU's (2nd 1 coming later in the year)

OCZ Fatal1ty 750w PSU

Corsair 600T Silver Edition, Modded.

XSPC RS240 Base Kit

Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD (Internal)

Seagate 500GBx2 in Raid 0 (Internal)

Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB (Internal)

WD Media AV-GP EURX 1TB x2 (External)

WD Green 500GB x2 Raid 0(External)

ESI Prodigy X-fi NRG Sound Card (Coming soon)

This build is a long term project taking several months in total as a weekend hobby project. I am a fan of Resident Evil series movies/games etc so i wanted to theme my build as a piece of equipment branded and owned by the Umbrella corporation. Silver or light gun metal case, black interior with white/red/silver colours splashed across the inside.

This is the basic layout/part orientation plan I'm currently trying to achieve. Hopefully you can follow this skillfully made mock-up illustration.

Posted Image

Things'n'stuff being ordered/installed/coming soon

- Base XSPC RS240 Kit (Installed)

- Silver cable extensions for all cables viewable. 24pin/PCIe/sata/8pin mobo. (Installed)

- CPU Waterblock LED's QUAD RED (Installed)

- FrozenQ PC Resident Evil UV Red T-Virus style water reservoir. (Installed)

- 10" UV cathodes. (Installed)

- 1/2" White PrimoChill Tubing. (Installed)

- Phobya Xtreme 200 Radiator (Installed)

- Phobya Blood Red Flow gauge (Coming soon)

- 2nd EVGA GTX 760 SC (Later in year)

- Duel Heat Killer GPU-X3 Core Edition water blocks (Later in year)

- Custom acrylic front bezel Resident Evil Umbrella symbol 200mm fan grill. (Coming Soon)

- Replace the front bezel & LEDs of my fan controller with a new clear blood red panel & switching it's blue LEDs to Red. (Coming Soon)

- Resident Evil (Umbrella Corp) Logo airbrushed on back side panel of the case. (The last item)

Front bezel concept design.

Posted Image

------------------------

Major changes from original start plan:

- 360mm (30mm) top rad tried and tested, confirmed doesn't fit. Idea switched to keeping 240mm in top and adding 200mm in front.

- Red/White combo LEDs for CPU water block change to Quad Red. At this current time the WHite XSPC 3mm&5mm LEDs have a design fault that cases them to fade very dramatically after 5-7 days of use. I have goen through 4 sets of white leds and all have died.

- Replaced GTX460s with Single EVGA GTX760 SC GPU. Adding 2nd later in the year.

- Due to a lack of non-reference PCB support for full cover water blocks for GTX760s, I am forced to use Universal GPU blocks. I've chosen Heatkiller GPU-X3 Core Edition blocks for the setup.|

- Replaced idea of all clear tubing to display the blood red coolant for white tubing for 95% of the loop and adding 2 "feature" like view points where you can view the coolant flowing via see-through back-lit components/tubing.

-------------------------

Edited by Modz

interesting, do more modz (that sentance works on two levels :)

This idea has been scraped due to the rad i had planned to use not fitting with my motherboard. (although some mobos can fit them) I'll keep this link here as a guide for anyone who wishes view it.

) Edited by Modz

Why not build a volenti?

Too big and ugly, the WC setup will work well for this.

Modz: looking great.. love that res you got.

i should be getting the fitting and leds tomorrow so ill chuck up some more pics when i add them.

Why not build a volenti?

Too big and ugly, the WC setup will work well for this.

Modz: looking great.. love that res you got.

False, the three people who've made them so far did them on a small budget and made then look shit. the only downside is more time unless i somehow get enough money to pre-make them.

For a theme designed rig meant to be taken to lans and sit in my studio, having something that looks like 3rd world air con unit is not something i am interested in at all sorry. Besides i live in Tas, is cold enough as it is. XD

Posted Image

Edited by Modz

i'm offended, but i see your point. if you bought some GQCs though...

While volenti's are pretty cool (pun intended), they''re not for everyone. Just as water cooling isn't for everyone. No reason to get offended. I don't get offended when people don't use massive tower coolers like I have myself :-P

Edited by nobody813

Nice work mate !

I have the same case with 2 x 240's and 1 x 120 rads and the same CPU block.

It all works really well together but ..... Damn it was a bitch to fill with the 240 rad up top.

Love the resident evil theme

*updated* Check OP for sexy LED's & the silver cables.

Nice work mate !

I have the same case with 2 x 240's and 1 x 120 rads and the same CPU block.

It all works really well together but ..... Damn it was a bitch to fill with the 240 rad up top.

Love the resident evil theme

my heart sunk a few inch when i went to fit it the first time and it hit the 8pin power plug. It clears it by less than 1 mm. Edited by Modz

So i've had a very strange thing happen with the 3mm white LED kit i bought. I've had them installed for few days and just left to run straight off of a PSU molex. But the white LEDs seemed to have dropped in brightness to the point they are also not even on anymore. I took them out and checked if i had accidentally squeezed the wires together but i haven't. I went back and check the recommended install method and it does just say direct to PSU molex.

anyway here you can clearly see they have dropped in brightness in only a matter of a week. Strange how one kit had the problem but not the other.

Posted Image

*So i rang PCCG to find out whats up with them and they have had quiet a few of the 3mm XSPC kits returned due to problems. Apparently it's a common problem not limited to the white kit.

Edited by Modz

White tubing, 1/2" fittings, blood red EK coolant & replacement white leds are on the way. Will have some more build photos up over the weekend. I'm also hoping this weekend i can get all the dremal work done of the case, so I'll also chuck up some progress photo's of that as i do it.

I have done some revision on the build. I'll also be swapping both GTX460s out for a single 670 or 680s in the near future, Then water cooling that instead. The poor things are starting to show there age.

Edited by Modz

Be careful with the EK coolant mate, I bought some of that stuff when I first put together my loop, still have most of it as I drained it back into the bottle. I went to distilled/demin water and liquid utopia which is what most people doing these days, seems to be the best bet.

Here is what happened to me.

Build is coming along nicely, good work.

There are so many 680s for sale on OCAU recently, a lot with blocks. If you're after one soonish, thought it worth mentioning :)

Edited by p0is0n

use mayhems instead, it's the only coolant that doesn't break your loop

mayhems is just as bad or worse than the EK stuff.

anything with dye in it has a potential to break down and cause problems.

there is no magic product that won't.

most people will agree on distilled water and additives.

where did you hear that? other than one guy who actively spreads hate for mayhems (something about a bad order for his company), everyone is very happy with their results.

thanks for the heads up poison, ill have to keep a very close eye on it. But i did do a bit of reading before choosing it and it did get a lot of good reviews and comments. I've got a PrimoChill Antimicrobial Tube Coil Silver in the bay res as well as some PrimoChill Liquid Utopia. Some said if you still want to use the coloured coolant, it was recommended adding some Utopia as well to be on the safe side.

There wasn't many people who had the same problem you did. maybe it was a bad batch? who knows but i will keep a close eye on it.

*also the express post didn't turn up today so i'll have to wait until early next week to do the photos. but saturday ill be doing all the dremal work.

Edited by Modz

where did you hear that? other than one guy who actively spreads hate for mayhems (something about a bad order for his company), everyone is very happy with their results.

I've been browsing the extreme cooling subsection on OCAU for a long time. I've seen and contributed to a lot of discussion on coolant/dye/corrosion/plasticizer, there are many things that can go wrong in a loop. I've seen the pics of peoples gunked up blocks using mayhems before.

the issue is that the dye eventually separates and breaks down and gets stuck in the micro channels within a block. this is amplified by the warm temperatures in the loop.

Edited by p0is0n

I had issues when i first built a water cooled rig quiet a few years ago. before coolant for pc becomes a thing. think my first water build i just chucked normal water and food dye into the loop. that lasted a whole of about 2 months until the radiator got clogged up and started eroding.

From what I'm getting from reading the bad experiences some of them can be attributed to users not flushing the loop with distilled water after changing coolants or setting up a new rig. I always flush mine out for at least 12 hours when new, and over 24hours when cleaning and changing coolants.

*had a delay in shipping and the parts didn't turn up Friday like i had expected. then i got called into work all day saturday. so no work was done. :(

Edited by Modz