Modz

Back to H2O again, with a twist of Resident evil.

Well today started good with everything turning up early. But then things went from bad to worse. For starters 1 of the coolant bottles was shipped with a loose cap. And it had leaked all through the box of stuff. Fortunately nothing was damaged and not much coolant was lost. Took some cleaning and soaking of the white tubes to get the red off them before it stained it though.

The photos here are in order of how my day went.

Now normally i wouldn't scorn a company for mistakes in shipping. As I've been a storeman before and i know some times you can forgot something. But when it comes to someone packing a bottle of liquid without even checking the if the lid was on tight is just plain dumb. And really surprisingly bad from PC Case Gear.

Posted Image

Since i had already drained and left the water loop over night to flush it out, it was good to go first thing this morning. So this is the progress before adding water.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then it was time to chuck in the coolant and give it a drip test.

Posted Image

After almost 2 hours of running with dry tissues around every fitting, things where looks done. And looking very nice too.

But... just as i was about to move it back to my study, i noticed a single drip run down the front of the T-Virus reservoir. Thinking bugger one of the top fitting is loose i reach in and to my surprise it was not coming from a fitting. But the top glue join in the actual res it's self. :O

Posted Image

shit... i sat there for about 15 mins just staring at the stupid thing thinking how the hell did this happen, even with 0 leaks previously. More so i was not looking forward to ripping the bloody thing apart. But after some swearing and bitching to god i took the res out of the loop and then installed everything else all over again.

Now it just looks sad without the reservoir. :( but atleast its not leaking.

Posted Image

I'm going to see if i can fix the res some time in the future ass ill be away from end of this week for a bit. But it's getting there.. slowly.

Posted Image

just dont buy a Frozen Q PC res, they are horrid for quality. And their customer service doesn't extent beyond the USA.

Edited by Modz

my phone doesn't do this any justice at all but in the dark, the white led spot lights inside highlight everything really well.

Posted Image

Reservoir is fixed (hopefully) and is reinstalled. I glued it yesterday morning then left it overnight on a closed loop with my old water cooling pump to test it. had 0 leaks this morning so it's been re-installed. yay!

So the water loops that are currently covering the view a little of the res, are not going to be permanent, as once i swap out the gpus and water cooler the new one, it will clear up both of those tubes. I'll also have a UV cathode high lighting the reservoirs internal coil. At the moment it just has a 5mm white led behind it. And both the big red & the white led fan that are in it at the moment wont be there either. just those gpus are overclocked to the moon at the moment and the heat is a little too high for my liking without that extra air flow. I'll also take some high res photos with my main camera once the build is complete in a few months. In a way i like the low res ones as it's not giving away the full beauty of the built to everyone just yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Build is looking nice, shame about the res. I had similar problems with my old res a few times, and with the comp fittings not screwing into the plastic on the pump well. I ended up using double o-rings on some fittings, and just had to screw the res on a bit tighter than i would have expected as I couldn't be bothered re-doing it all. haven't had any problems since though, pays to be extra careful when setting up water cooling though. I'm always nervous for the first few days as I leave it unattended.

I know what you mean about a nice build at night, sitting on your desk in the dark. Pics never do it justice. I use my PC as as a bit of a nightlight, produces just the right level of light for my eyes in the dark.

So at this stage, everything is on hold while i wait for the GTX 760 Ti to be released as it will be replacing my current cards. I had a few mates suggest a 670, but to be honestly they are a generation older and don't have the new boost and other newer features i want. And also when i upgrade the major parts i always try and get the newest hardware available as to stretch out the longevity of my builds.

But i have everything else here, the 360 rad, corsair link, new fans etc all i need is the 760 & a water block and part 2 will be under way. I've also started organizing the paint work which should also be just around the corner shortly after everything else is done. Same with the perspex front bezel, it to will be not far away.

looking very nice mate ...verry nice

It was you that inspired me to clean my rig up as your setup is very similar to mine. My Rig

Im keen to see stage 2 already !!

So i just came across this very cool product that will fit right into my build theme. i've been looking around for a new gamer orientated sound card and i was looking at getting one of the red shrouded recon ones. But then randomly while i was board procrastinating by google searching white PCB parts. I stumbled across this sound card which is available from only 1 AU retailer. It's made by a German professional audio solutions company called ESI Audio. This card using how ever a creative X-Fi chip and its basically a gamer card.

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/prodigyxfinrg/

Posted Image

This guy gives them a huge thumbs up for headphone use over his Xonar card.

Edited by Modz

Why not just paint the PCB? I've seen it done very well before.

i am not that confident in my painting skills. XD

Also :( end of an era. just sold my 460s. and ordered my 760s.

i am not that confident in my painting skills. XD

Also :( end of an era. just sold my 460s. and ordered my 760s.

PCB painting is easy. just cover all the heatsins and connectors with tape, then dip or spray paint, no primer needed

Small update, got home from a work trip away and my new 760 is here. After some benchmarking and testing today, as well as some research turns out not only did i get a very good 760 in terms of overclocking, but it also doesn't really need to be water cooled. even at max voltage and max stable clocks the highest i've seen it get to is 72 degrees. and normal gaming seems to hover around 52-55. Because i got a non-reference evga PCB there are no avaliable full cover waterblocks at this stage either. But im happy it doesn't really need them anyway.

I also tested the 360 rad last night and i hadn't previously taken it out of its box. but sadly due to it's thickness (by less than 2 mm) it doesn't fit up top of my case. It hits the 8 pin power socket. So i'm returning it and have ordered a Phobia extreme 200mm rad for the front of the case instead. I'll post up some single card benchmarks in the GPU 3dmark thread later tonight. But i am super keen now to get my 2nd 760.

Edited by Modz

I have updated the original post to give a better explanation and easier to read list of things/parts I'm adding, as well as an updated concept illustration of what the overall build plan is. I'll add mini update note reply's here for those who wish to know when the build progress has been updated. As well as any extra photos i take along the way.

Edited by Modz

Just fit the 200mm rad and ran into a small problem fitting it up right with the ports at bottom. When i was doing the measurements for the rad before i bought it, the listed measurements don't include the a 3mm plug height which extends the high and hits the bottom of the 5 1/2" bay. This is just using the stock mounted holes for 200mm fans. But i got very very lucky, turning the rad sideways and having the ports on the window side of the case made it fit by less than 2mm. The side panel has a curve in it by design so they curve out perfectly to fit the rad sideways.

few small pics of it installed sideways and how tight the fit is.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Modz

Some build log photos.

coming tonight.

Some better images all installed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At a lan event tonight, PC all setup. Had quiet a few come check it out.

Posted Image

GPU blocks now under water and performing extremely chilly! Blocks are HeatKiller GPU-X Core3 universal blocks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Chucked in a EVGA Pro SLI bridge + 2 back plates last night. An early xmas gift :)

Posted Image

That looks awesome. Only suggestions i have are sleeve everything, remove those stickers at the bottom, and maybe paint the hard drives. And more photos

Yea but what to do with all the stickers lol I know I had a pile of them and started putting on the front of my case...

I wouldn't bother, unless you plan on using it without the side on the case ever, surely you dont notice the stickers or the HDDs once the side is on? Either way, great build, makes me miss how sexy WCing setups look, but I just cbf with them anymore.

Edited by NukeJockey