Sign in to follow this  
discoInferno

Trouble Shooting a TV Tuner Card

My HTPC has recently been dropping one of the tuners on it's twin tuner card - or at least I think that's what it's doing.

I'm running MediaPortal and about once a week or so it will decide that it only wants to record one show at a time, and if it's already recording something it won't let me watch any other channel. This is only intermittent and 90% of the time it's fine. The last time it happened I rescanned all the channels in for both tuners, but it didn't make a difference. I ended up just leaving it alone and within about 24hrs it returned to normal.

It's the first time I've had this issue and I have no idea how to try and trouble shoot a TV tuner, short of just replacing the card and hoping for the best. Any ideas?

Edited by discoInferno

Generally with these things yes it is just a matter of replacement. However first up try reseating it, check for newer drivers and newer mediaportal build and try using different software for recording (in case it is a MediaPortal bug).

Cheers mate. I thought that would be about it. I'll pull the case open and reseat it, then reinstall the drivers (already running the latest MP build). Fingers crossed it helps, otherwise it's still under warranty so I guess we'll see how that goes.

Cheers mate. I thought that would be about it. I'll pull the case open and reseat it, then reinstall the drivers (already running the latest MP build). Fingers crossed it helps, otherwise it's still under warranty so I guess we'll see how that goes.

Any chance of trying the card in another PC using just the included software or even Windows media Centre?

No chance unfortunately. My other PC has a mATX motherboard with no PCI slot.

I've updated the drivers (there were new ones out for Win 8 64bit) and they installed and work fine, but still only a single tuner. Device manager can see both of them and so can MediaPortal, but only one of them functions. I've discovered a channel test function within the media portal TV server backend and by running it and viewing the log, I can see that one of the tuners passes every test, and the other fails every test.

Seems reasonably conclusive, so hopefully I can convince Umart of that. I think I'll just buy another tuner to replace this one first, before sending this one away and then dealing with the inevitable lengthy delays. :)

Seems reasonably conclusive, so hopefully I can convince Umart of that. I think I'll just buy another tuner to replace this one first, before sending this one away and then dealing with the inevitable lengthy delays. :)

Ye it's what I tend to do, be stuffed waiting weeks for fault testing etc etc.

I have had similar issues in the past with medial portal and it forgetting it has a tuner. I switched to WMC no problems since then. Definitely try it in WMC before you try to RMA.

Yeah I was previously running WMC so its already installed on the machine. It would be interesting to see how many tuners it can see the next time one of them drops in MP. I'll also have the bundled software that came with the card somewhere so I might give that a go next time it drops as well, like aliali suggested.