atosniper

Win8 64bit install?

Hi

This is a bit shit.

I bought the Win 8 DVD box. It came with both the 32 & 64 bit discs in. I had Win XP sp3. My CPU supports 64 bit so I figured I'd just go for the 64 bit one. I put in the disc and got an error message. It said : "Your installation media cannot be used to install Windows. Your current version of Windows is 32 bit and does not match the architecture of the 64 bit installation media. Please insert the 32 bit media and restart Windows Setup." So I figured I'd install 32 bit Win 8, then just use the 64 bit disc and do that. After installing the 32 bit version without a problem, I tried the 64 bit disc and got the exact same message. What's going on? How can I install 64 bit Win 8?

Cheers

You need to do a fresh install, you can't upgrade between them.

You need to do a fresh install, you can't upgrade between them.

Crikey, thanks for the quick reply.

Stupid question #2: How do I do a fresh install?

Actually just found a guide at about.com.

Edited by atosniper

lookup the microsoft forums for doing a fresh install from an upgrade disk, because sometimes you need to do a fresh install with out the original OS.

in a nutshell, you install direct from the upgrade but do not register it, then you rerun the install process as the upgrade step.

that was how it could be done from XP to vista and I think Win7.

Backup XP install

Clean install Win8 x64

You cannot upgrade Windows x86 to a x64 version.

Slightly off topic but I managed to do a clean install in windows 8 64bit from an upgrade cd I got when the promotion was on for 15$.

Theres guides out there how to do it.

I needed to call Microsoft to get a new activation code as windows once fresh installed on my "new" hdd said that it was activated on another computer (the old install)

I told the lady that I had bought a new harddrive and she gave me a new code, to easy.