eveln

Why is no discussion on Muslim / Islam allowed ?

I get that racial /religious vilification is out, and heartily agree with this, so if particular posts are deemed

offensive they should be deleted and the poster smacked over the knuckles, but to just close threads seems a

bit OTT. We've now got four threads closed and two of those don't even have a "Mod" giving a reason for them being closed.

I mean we talk about atheists, Westboro, Scientology, Christians and any other religion, I don't see what the big deal is.

We can talk about other issues within reason why not this one.

We've had rather heated discussions in the past re the burqa and a woman's right to wear it within Australia.

What's changed ?

... just asking

Edited by eveln

Excuse me then I just saw it too.

AM currently reading this book

It refers to the refugees making London their safe port in the early 1930's. Part of their visa obligations allowing them safety in the UK,

was to not talk openly about their issues re leaving Germany.

And then I come on to atomic and see this here ... whilst not quite the same it sort of struck a nerve.

Edited by eveln

You'll hopefully get a better answer tomorrow, but I think it came down to the first impression of someone peeking into TGR being a bunch of, TBH, embarrassing sounding titles. Pruning specific posts wouldn't change the initial 'wtf kind of place is this'.

Yes I see that Nich, it could I guess be a little daunting at first glance.

It is the opinion of some peoples' that TGR has always been a bit of a cess pit, so I'm mildly confusled by this happening now ... is all.

I guess I'll get the hang of it.

Reasoned debate is healthy. Racial vilification however is illegal.

Unfortunately, some of the posts in the those threads were the latter, and not the former.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Reasoned debate is healthy. Racial vilification however is illegal.

Unfortunately, some of the posts in the those threads were the latter, and not the former.

+1

I'm hardly an angel in all of this but, to be honest, it is getting to the point that I no longer want to participate in these forums. I posted the "Muslim Fear" thread because one in approximately every ten threads was devoted to a bad news story about Muslims followed by a thread full of vile rubbish.

I can't sit around the fire and sing kumbaya with people who openly vilify people on the basis of their race or religion, nor do I see why I should reward them with anything other than total disdain. Tolerance is the first step on the road to acceptance.

I don't think that calling people "savages" on the basis of their race or religion is reasoned debate.

I applaud the mods.

This ought to be a place where people can come and not be subjected to that sort of garbage.

EDIT:- Repeating sentence.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

To be honest, I just ignore anything faith-based on the forums nowadays based off the fact that I've seen it all before.

But I can see how outsiders would find it quite confronting, especially potential members who may be Muslim. In a time where atomic needs all the membership growth it can get, I can see the logic in making it a more friendly and appealing place.

to be honest, it is getting to the point that I no longer want to participate in these forums.

The Green Room != "these forums"

Get into the tech forums. The only vilification in there is by PC gamers towards console gamers. :P

Edited by SquallStrife

To be honest, I just ignore anything faith-based on the forums nowadays based off the fact that I've seen it all before.

But I can see how outsiders would find it quite confronting, especially potential members who may be Muslim. In a time where atomic needs all the membership growth it can get, I can see the logic in making it a more friendly and appealing place.

^Amen.

Okay, I think this has been answered pretty well.

Yes, it is a bit sudden and possibly harsh, but clicking on the Green Room and seeing all those posts - even the well-meaning ones - just made us look like a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Yes, Atomic is far more than the Green Room, but TGR gets more hits than any other part of the site. The idea that some of those hits are going to see that, and either be repelled, or - worse still - attracted by such rhetoric... I had to draw a line.

Look at it this way - I literally opened up the admin panel and thought hard about shutting that part of the forum down. I'd be happy to take the hit in traffic, honestly.

Get into the tech forums. The only vilification in there is by PC gamers towards console gamers. :P

It's a victimless crime.

Look at it this way - I literally opened up the admin panel and thought hard about shutting that part of the forum down. I'd be happy to take the hit in traffic, honestly.

Ouch... Glad that didn't happen.

There's a reason a lot of us stay out of TGR... unfortunately :-/

If it was that easy, i think xyzzy would just stay out of certain threads in TGR. The problem is, once you realise you have a moral objection against someone's views, you can't un-know that information. Pretending to play nice in the tech forums is either kidding yourself about why you don't like certain people, or trying to live in ignorance.

...that being said, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with enjoying some aspects of someone's personality while loathing or detesting others. We're not getting ready for a giant group marriage where we have to accept every part of a person ; )

Well, it was extreme, I admit, but deadline can get me feeling all executive-action and shit sometimes :)

If it was that easy, i think xyzzy would just stay out of certain threads in TGR. The problem is, once you realise you have a moral objection against someone's views, you can't un-know that information. Pretending to play nice in the tech forums is either kidding yourself about why you don't like certain people, or trying to live in ignorance.

Why pretend to play nice? Just play nice!

One doesn't visit the Tech forum to discuss restrictive vs permissive immigration policy. Why do I take into account what another person's views on this are, when we're discussing DDR vs RAMBUS?

Not liking someone doesn't mean what they say is automatically wrong, or that you couldn't take, say, build suggestions from them.

If you are ignoring somebody's input in the tech forums, because they expressed a view you disliked in TGR, then you need to relax brah.

Edited by SquallStrife

Well, it was extreme, I admit, but deadline can get me feeling all executive-action and shit sometimes :)

Do it. Do it come on DO IT!

And rightly so.

The worst offenders are console gamers + mac users. *shudder*

Guest xyzzy frobozz

There's a reason a lot of us stay out of TGR... unfortunately :-/

The problem for me is that there are certain people (and one in particular) that seem to have nothing else to offer these forums than vilification of "savages".

That said, Squall Strife is spot on, I and other could better direct our energies towards the betterment of these forums and contribute elsewhere, rather than contributing to the constant negativity, of which I admit to being a fairly large contributor.

Maybe I should start a banning poll? I mean, let the people decide, right?

I'm glad you've learned your lesson xyzzy.

Maybe I should start a banning poll? I mean, let the people decide, right?

Intolerance of the intolerant!