eveln

Why is no discussion on Muslim / Islam allowed ?

I'm all for zero-tolerance of intolerant :)

Ooh, that's me :p

I used to be more passionate about what I posted, but the haters wear you down after a while. I became intolerant :)

When you realize you're here for fun and to learn and help or be helped, then you can adapt your forum style to suit, which is what I have done. Everybody is different and can approach forums in various ways, for me it's discussing stuff with people who want to discuss stuff and not engage with those who don't. Less angst all round, though I do have to bite my lip on occasion, but that's mainly in the tanks thread ;P

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Maybe I should start a banning poll? I mean, let the people decide, right?

No.

Please don't do that.

Please.

;-)

I can only think of one person to put up for it.

It's because I went to Wave Gotik Treffen without you, isn't it?

:-p

Okay, I think this has been answered pretty well.

Yes, it is a bit sudden and possibly harsh, but clicking on the Green Room and seeing all those posts - even the well-meaning ones - just made us look like a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Yes, Atomic is far more than the Green Room, but TGR gets more hits than any other part of the site. The idea that some of those hits are going to see that, and either be repelled, or - worse still - attracted by such rhetoric... I had to draw a line.

Look at it this way - I literally opened up the admin panel and thought hard about shutting that part of the forum down. I'd be happy to take the hit in traffic, honestly.

As I said earlier "excuse me ". Had I noted the sticky first it's likely I would not have bothered with this thread ...

... but since it's here. If the thread titles are more intelligent and make less use of hyperbole is the discussion within the thread allowed ?

Am looking to clarify this as I think it's important for these discussions to continue.

Less vilification of religions and individuals posting would be cool of course.

And I am referring to any and all religious discussion here okay.

All I can say is thankyouverymuchly for not closing TGR.

Maybe I should start a banning poll? I mean, let the people decide, right?

Making the forums into a democracy.

Would you hand over your crown so easily?

Do you know the callouses that crown has given me?

:)

eveln, to be honest, as it stands I don't think the community is capable of fair and balanced discussion on religion. Individuals may be, but it always descends into heated argument and diatribes.

eveln, to be honest, as it stands I don't think the community is capable of fair and balanced discussion on religion. Individuals may be, but it always descends into heated argument and diatribes.

It makes sense. The general population is incapable of pragmatic, balanced discussion on religion, why would this particular section of the community, one that is historically very US vs THEM on even trivial matters (such as Intel v AMD, nVidia v ATi, Seagate v WD, Xbox v PS3, PC v Console etc), be capable of civil conduct on such a touchy topic.

Edited by SquallStrife

Fixed it for ya Dave ;)

, as it stands I don't think the community is capable of fair and balanced discussion on religion, drugs, politics, Leo, Virt, Willies, ice-cream flavours, rocks, nappies, anything really.... Individuals may be, but it always descends into heated argument and diatribes.

Fixed it for ya Dave ;)

, as it stands I don't think the community is capable of fair and balanced discussion on religion, drugs, politics, Leo, Virt, Willies, ice-cream flavours, rocks, nappies, anything really.... Individuals may be, but it always descends into heated argument and diatribes.

POTM?

Fixed it for ya Dave ;)

POTM?

yep, POTM

I call your bluff on closing the Green Room.

Given that the vast majority of traffic on this here forums goes on in the green room wouldn't closing it essentially be another couple of nails in the atomic coffin?

Edited by TheMojorising

It makes sense. The general population is incapable of pragmatic, balanced discussion on religion, why would this particular section of the community, one that is historically very US vs THEM on even trivial matters (such as Intel v AMD, nVidia v ATi, Seagate v WD, Xbox v PS3, PC v Console etc), be capable of civil conduct on such a touchy topic.

Precisely.

I know atomic / TGR has been a great source of entertainment, learning and argument for me over the four years I've been here, but I never sought to

find it a haven from normal human behaviour. That would be downright silly and well futile.

You can deride TGR as much as you like, and yes I know a lot of interesting dudes ( tantryl for one ) do not inhabit the place atm but it still

manages to draw it's members from around the world. Just look at Foods (posting from Canada), Mac Dude ( from somewhere in bumfuck Europe ),

Virtuoso ( ME ) and there was another, dammit I can't recall, but he posted to say he'd forgotten to take a jacket whilst travelling OS.

And these guys ( baring Virt ) are on holidays ffs and yet they still want to stay in touch via TGR.

And they're just the guys that spring immediately to mind - I forgot elvenwhore :( - but surely you can see where I'm going with this yeah ?

And then of course there's smackme in Norway ( Ithink ) and whayton in the US who still check in to The Green Room. And there's likely heaps

more I have no idea about. Even DEVERE took time out from her busy life to check in last night and she's waaaay down the bottom of WA

takes hours to get any where from Esperance, but why would you want to with a coastline like that ? I'm drifting now from the point of this

post ...

These people come to talk, laugh, and argue.

By all means blank the vilification of topics and people but I don't feel it's right to disallow the discussion.

I call your bluff on closing the Green Room.

Given that the vast majority of traffic on this here forums goes on in the green room wouldn't closing it essentially be another couple of nails in the atomic coffin?

not really, it just means that the off topic is spread out through the rest of the forums. you do loose some traffic but the thread derails go up quite a bit.

that TGR gets so much more traffic than any one other section was being addressed int he thread about being spread thin, but TGR and some other mostly social forums have a place at keeping forums running, and allowing forum culture to spread form a central meeting point.

if topics go out side what the owner of the forum wants to allow to be published (private forum published publicly on the internet) then it is not unheard of the lock it for a time to force a cool off. given the level of comfort with rules and enforcement, that kind of shut down puts more load on Mods to stop off tops and that causes whinging as users suddenly notice the job TGR did for them and how they are now living in 1984.

How do you think the Mods here would handle an attempt to take TGR OTT?

Forums are funny old places.

I didn't realise you loved me so much.

Interesting timing, given todays occurrence in London.

Another nail.

What I find interesting is that there's not a single thread in the green room about this.

It's a pretty significant news story.

But because David had a hissy fit, we are not allowed to speak about it.

Edited by twinair

I didn't realise you loved me so much.

Interesting timing, given todays occurrence in London.

Another nail.

What I find interesting is that there's not a single thread in the green room about this.

There was an interesting article on news about a female news reporter from a certain background ripping off her traditional headwear on air in protest. And my god. She was magnificent to look at.

10/10 would bang. Plus all that shit shes standing for also.

Edited by TheMojorising

There was an interesting article on news about a female news reporter from a certain background ripping off her traditional headwear on air in protest. And my god. She was magnificent to look at.

Glad you added the emphasised bit :) I too saw the article .

Someone would just try and water it down by citing a scene from wolf creek as a western equivalent.

Yeah, she was certainly a stunner!