Sign in to follow this  
atosniper

Win 8 Restart loop after crash - make it stop

So I tried out Mechwarrior Online with my new shiny Win 8. Second map I get disconnected and the PC restarts. It now is going into a restart loop each time saying it has found a different error. It says Preparing Automatic Repair, then the error message and that it's collecting info, then auto restart. Again, and again, and again. Please help. How can I stop this madness?

Eventually last night I had to hit the power button to force it to stop. I needed sleep. I tried again this morning and it goes into the same auto restart loop saying sorry but there was an error we are collecting data and will auto restart your computer.

Am I going to have to put the Win 8 DVD in and reinstall all over? /cry

Sorry can't really help you with the problem dude, except to try booting off the Win 8 Disk and using it to do a repair install. A repair install "should" keep all your data intact.

I would be checking for hardware faults first though, in particular a problem with the HDD.

So grab the relevant HDD manufacturers diagnostic tool and run a full check of the HDD. Easiest way to do this is with UBCD which has all the tools on it.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I just tried putting in the Win 8 disc but nothing happens. It refuses to boot from it, and after a few minutes of stalling it goes back into the cycle of looping through crashes and restarts. So I can't even get access to my machine.

Can I make that UCBD disc on another machine and put it in like a boot disc? Otherwise there's no way to get access to my machine.

Cheers

Hi thanks for the reply.

I just tried putting in the Win 8 disc but nothing happens. It refuses to boot from it, and after a few minutes of stalling it goes back into the cycle of looping through crashes and restarts. So I can't even get access to my machine.

Can I make that UCBD disc on another machine and put it in like a boot disc? Otherwise there's no way to get access to my machine.

Cheers

it's possible to put a Win install iso on either a DVD or USB stick on another machine, then use bios to reorder the boot menu. That should get you started. Beware, don't use a USB3 socket if there is one, only a USB 1 or 2 will work without installing drivers first.

Thanks for the reply.

I can't even seem to get the original Windowd disc recognized though. Wouldn't mean that a copy won't work as well?

I'm thinking there is a high chance I've broken some hardware, like the HDD, as aliali suggests. In that case, nothing will get me access right?

If you can't get a bootable disk to even boot then there is either something seriously seriously wrong with the computer, you are not doing it exactly right to force an optical boot, the Bios has been set to only boot from the HDD with nothing else, or you are using a non-bootable disk.

My bet would be on the second or third option, so how about a bit of info on the PC?

Can I make that UCBD disc on another machine and put it in like a boot disc?

Yes you can, that's the whole point of it, you make the disk and then can use it to boot any PC with a bootable optical drive.

Do note, as with any ISO you do not burn the ISO to CD as a data disk you must burn it as a bootable disk.

ImgBurn is the best for this as it will warn you if you try and burn an ISO as a data file.

If you can't get a bootable disk to even boot then there is either something seriously seriously wrong with the computer, you are not doing it exactly right to force an optical boot, the Bios has been set to only boot from the HDD with nothing else, or you are using a non-bootable disk.

My bet would be on the second or third option, so how about a bit of info on the PC?

Can I make that UCBD disc on another machine and put it in like a boot disc?

Yes you can, that's the whole point of it, you make the disk and then can use it to boot any PC with a bootable optical drive.

Do note, as with any ISO you do not burn the ISO to CD as a data disk you must burn it as a bootable disk.

ImgBurn is the best for this as it will warn you if you try and burn an ISO as a data file.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a noob at this stuff, please forgive me when I show my noobness.

Ok, so I'll make that UBCD disk then on my laptop. Do you recommend one of the programs, specifically. I had a look and was quite overwhelmed with the choices. Not sure which one i should use.

Ok, info on my machine. I'll give you any info I can, just not sure what info is needed. When I tried to use the Windows 8 install disk I put it in just like I did when I first installed it. It then gives that message on boot up that says press any key to boot from CD or DVD so I hit space as I did when I first installed it. When I first installed it, it went to the install screen and away we went. This time though it just seemed to hang. After a couple of minutes the machine seemed to ignore the disc and went back to booting from the HDD which then went back into the crash/restart loop.

The disc may not be a bootable disc, dunno, but wouldn't that mean I wouldn't have been able to install in the first place?

My machine specs are as follows: Win 8 64 bit. I added 4gb of ram before installing Win 8 for a total of 6gb as I only had 2gb which isn't enough for Win 8. CPU is core2duo E6850(3.00). Motherboard is GA-P35-DQ6. HDD is HDT725050VLA360. GPU is EN8800GTS 640M.

Noob question: if I make an iso of my Win 8 install disc it won't hurt the original disc will it?

Assuming worst case scenario and there is something seriously seriously wrong, what are the possibilities? Melted gpu/CPU? Could Mechwarrior Online really have fried my machine like that? Or would it be something else?

Programme to use will be one of the tools in /HDD/Diagnosis and which one you use will depend on the brand of HDD you have.

The HDT725050VLA360 is a Hitachi so run the Drive Fitness test or Data Lifeguard Diagnostic as Hitachi HDDs is now owned by Western Digital.

It then gives that message on boot up that says press any key to boot from CD or DVD so I hit space as I did when I first installed it. When I first installed it, it went to the install screen and away we went. This time though it just seemed to hang.

Ok so it is trying to boot form the DVD and the DVD is booting but something is going seriously wrong.

After a couple of minutes the machine seemed to ignore the disc and went back to booting from the HDD

suggests the HDD is totally stuffed or at the least has a serious issue.

Noob question: if I make an iso of my Win 8 install disc it won't hurt the original disc will it?

Nope won't hurt the original disk.

Could Mechwarrior Online really have fried my machine like that?

Don't see how, really.

Given the problem you are having you might need to take it to a PC repair shop unless you want to start doing a lot of reading on running diagnostics tests and replacing components.

Me? I would persevere, but I am a sucker for punishment :P

Alright thanks.

I'll make the UBCD disk after work tonight and see if I get any joy with that. Regardless I'll take it down to my PC store I always use. This is obviously beyond me.

How do HDDs break like has most likely occurred? Would it have to do with the new Windowd system or extra ram I added, or just bad coincidental timing?

Alright thanks.

I'll make the UBCD disk after work tonight and see if I get any joy with that. Regardless I'll take it down to my PC store I always use. This is obviously beyond me.

How do HDDs break like has most likely occurred? Would it have to do with the new Windowd system or extra ram I added, or just bad coincidental timing?

Probably the last one. Why do they break? best answer I can give is "because they can". :P

They are a manufactured device built down to a price.

Electronics can fritz, bearings can seize heads can hit platters, motors can die etc etc.

Actually just a thought as you say

extra ram I added,

has the PC been running ok for at least a day or two with the extra RAM? If the extra RAM cincides exactly with the issue try removing it and while at it check you have not partially dislodged a SATA cable from the back of the HDD or the mobo SATA ports.

Fair enough. It's about 6 years old now so I suppose I've gotten a decent life out of it.

I put the ram in about a week before I installed Win 8; as soon as I got home from the store actually. It's been fine with XP and it was fine for the three days after installing Win 8. I'll check as you suggest though.

Ok I made an ISO disk of UBCD and ran the hdd checks. It seemed to suggest there were no problems. I ran a ram check on the disk and it too suggested no problem. I checked the cables and they seem fine. I'm stumped.

The Win 8 install disk refuses to boot no matter what I try.

Think it's time to take it into the store.

I've run into a similar issue with Windows 8, startup will go into repair mode then reboot. Even selected boot normally (like you can in previous versions) windows would still go into repair mode.

From a lot of searching it appears to be a known problem, something during bootup is flagging the machine for repair but never resets the flag so you can't force the machine to boot, looks like a software bug that should be fixed in an update. Of course if you can't boot Windows you can't get any updates. In my case I was "guilty" of attempting to boot the machine from GRUB, although during my others have reported that an OS crash has also caused the problem. The only known solution at this point is a re-install which worked for me. I spent a few hours trying to fix the problem before re-installing but wasn't getting anywhere.

Hi all

Just as a follow up.

I took the machine into the shop yesterday (Sunday) and they ran some tests and it turns out the new RAM I had was throwing up compatibility issues and errors. So we put new RAM in and so far so good. I had to re-install Windows though once I could access the machine again as Windows was playing silly buggers.

Apparently RAM (DDR2) quite often causes issues?

Automatic restart is enabled by default for some on Windows.

So if it crashes, you will sleep the blue screen for a brief second or so before it re-boots automatically!

And of course, if it crashes during startup, the system will reboot endlessly.

You should disable it in case problems occur in the future.

System Properties --> Settings (Startup and Recovery) --> Disable automatic restart

Edited by 8vm