Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
sonofjorel88

XBOX ONE

Not sure why people are surprised at the direction of the new console. I remember listening to Bill Gates back in 98 after he invested like a billion dollars in Comcast talking about how in the future he hoped to see a one box solution for home entertainment. Check the weather, watch a movie, play a game, search the internet, watch TV, and so on...

Xbox to Xbox 360 was a big leap in that direction. Xbox 360 to Xbox One is pretty damn close to his dream made real.

If anybody missed the stream, it's here at the moment:

Audio's out of sync very slightly, but it looks like a full complete capture of the stream.

I'm not sure how long it's going to last though.

did anyone notice the IR out port on the back... oooooo universal remote?

Posted Image

no backwards compatibility? :(

and always online..:(

not always online... just needs a connection.. at an undecided period....

PS4 has none.

Who cares anyway, just keep your old consoles if it's that important.

and always online..:(

Very very few consoles have had backwards compatibility and it is not always online.

To add backwards compatibility would dramatically increase the price, I'm glad people will save $100 and not have that forced on them. 6 months after release, who'll care that it isn't backwards compatible?

it bugs me that people are focusing on "problems" that are small (in my mind)...

I can understand that for some people that having to be online is a problem (like people in the US armed forces who don't have internet when deployed) but for the vast majority of people who live in countries where the xbox is sold and there is live there is internet and it is reasonably reliable, enough so that the xbox can check in once in a while... and also MS are still sorting this out... they have heard the upcry and are looking at ways to fix it.. hence all the we haven't set a policy yet comments from them...

same goes for the resell of games.. and also people have not been able to resell steam or other similar online store games so why is this suddenly a problem?

Guest xyzzy frobozz

it bugs me that people are focusing on "problems" that are small (in my mind)...

I can understand that for some people that having to be online is a problem (like people in the US armed forces who don't have internet when deployed) but for the vast majority of people who live in countries where the xbox is sold and there is live there is internet and it is reasonably reliable, enough so that the xbox can check in once in a while... and also MS are still sorting this out... they have heard the upcry and are looking at ways to fix it.. hence all the we haven't set a policy yet comments from them...

same goes for the resell of games.. and also people have not been able to resell steam or other similar online store games so why is this suddenly a problem?

I agree.

And backwards compatibility? How about keeping your old console?

I like playing older games. finding a xbox original (I was going to say xbox 1 but that doesnt work) is next to impossible and I only just got a 360 a few years ago.

I like playing older games. finding a xbox original (I was going to say xbox 1 but that doesnt work) is next to impossible and I only just got a 360 a few years ago.

If you were better at paying me ;) i've got a lot of old consoles.

In both our Xbox One and PS4 articles I referred to the SoCs as using two Jaguar compute units - now you can understand why. Both designs incorporate two quad-core Jaguar modules, each with their own shared 2MB L2 cache. Communication between the modules isn’t ideal, so we’ll likely see both consoles prefer that related tasks run on the same module.

Looking at Kabini, we have a good idea of the dynamic range for Jaguar on TSMC’s 28nm process: 1GHz - 2GHz. Right around 1.6GHz seems to be the sweet spot, as going to 2GHz requires a 66% increase in TDP.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6976/amds-ja...4-kabini-temash

This article gives me a massive nerd boner.

I took the quote from page four as it's most relevant here, but the entire article is worth a read if you care about the tech inside. Quick summary of important console points:

-No turbo modes (frequency scaling above rated speeds under smaller/single threaded loads) for XB1 or PS4 at launch, potential for implementation later though benefits would be questionable from a developer standpoint.

-1.6GHz is the ideal frequency for the CPU, and considering the XB1/PS4 has two of them it will keep the XB1 CPU-only TDP at roughly 30W.

-Presumably the Kabini chips come without the GCN graphics components for the consoles, as they have larger/more powerful versions. Whether actually left out of the design or simply deactivated doesn't really matter. This modifies the above TDP but to an unknown extent.

-Code will have to be written to execute in three distinct areas of the console; two sets of four threads per CPU to minimise data sharing between discrete CPUs, and another set of threads that execute on the GPU for floating-point performance. Early titles will probably just leave the CPU to do the FP stuff and as the consoles mature the GPU will be harnessed more effectively.

Never heard of Ebay?

There's a few on there right now.

Anyone happen to also read this on Reddit:

"You know, it is in the TOS of the Xbox 360 that Kinect can be used to monitor you at all times "to the full extent of the law" (and given wiretapping laws in the US, it basically means all the time forever) and that MS will share this information with third parties and law enforcement agencies."

Now why is that relevant, well from what I've read it sounds like the Kinect has to be connected for the Xbox One to work.

Now also take into consideration if there is a backdoor for the authorities what's to stop black hat hackers from finding those backdoors?

Personally I'm not interested in either console, I'm just surprised no one on here is bothered by the fact the Kinect maybe recording what you do and say.

Then there is also the claim going around that you can't share games with friends any more as you will be charge the full price to play the game you already own on another persons Xbox One. Which that seems to be bothering people also.

they really aren't hard to find, put up a WTB?

Edited by PointZeroOne

Anyone happen to also read this on Reddit:

"You know, it is in the TOS of the Xbox 360 that Kinect can be used to monitor you at all times "to the full extent of the law" (and given wiretapping laws in the US, it basically means all the time forever) and that MS will share this information with third parties and law enforcement agencies."

Now why is that relevant, well from what I've read it sounds like the Kinect has to be connected for the Xbox One to work.

Now also take into consideration if there is a backdoor for the authorities what's to stop black hat hackers from finding those backdoors?

Personally I'm not interested in either console, I'm just surprised no one on here is bothered by the fact the Kinect maybe recording what you do and say.

Then there is also the claim going around that you can't share games with friends any more as you will be charge the full price to play the game you already own on another persons Xbox One. Which that seems to be bothering people also.

I think that is people being paranoid... first off I couldn't find a Kinect terms of use document (or anything similar) and the closest i could find was their privacy policy here.. Kinect Privacy policy which states that they wont collect any identifiable data using kinect (except locally stored data that isn't shared with MS)

also Kinect doesn't work when the 360 is off... now for the ultra paranoid the XBOne kinect runs in a low power state so you can use voice to turn the xbox on... but again.. I'm sure MS wont be listening in.. also MajorNelson said that kinect wont collect any data or be watching you sleep

and really if you're that paranoid.. unplug it when you aren't using it and make a tin foil hat :P

Dudbox One... uninspiring at best.

I'm curious as to if you have ever been a fan of the previous XBox consoles?

Xbox One draws more processing power from cloud computing - excerpts

While cloud computation data doesn't have to be updated and synced with every frame of game data, developers are still going to have to manage the timing and flow of this cloud computing to avoid noticeable changes in graphic quality, Booty said...

"One of the exciting challenges going forward is a whole new set of techniques to manage what is going to be offloaded to the cloud and what’s going to come back.”

And what about those times when a gamer doesn't have an active Internet connection to make use of the cloud's computational power? Microsoft has confirmed that single-player games don't have to be online to work, but all this talk of cloud computing seems to suggest that these games might not look or perform as well if they don't have access to a high-speed connection.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/how-...loud-computing/

I honestly don't know about this, as the article's featured commenters describe, cloud computing would only be useful in specific scenarios, likely not supported cross-platform (i.e. PS4, Wii U does not even compare hardware wise so cloud isn't ever going to feature imo).

The article also is somewhat misleading when it describes graphical quality; devs wouldn't want titles looking crap when offline, so if anything the cloud will be used to add minor things like additional AI entities in large crowd scenes and the like. It certainly can't make up for the graphical hardware gap between the XB1 and the PS4.

Edited by TheFrunj