Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

Why are wireless plans so stupid?

Posted this little rant on another forum figured i would put it up here as well

So telstra is making wireless faster and faster while still having tiny caps extreme prices (actually going up not down) and unusably slow caped speeds

Why does it need to be faster than adsl2 but gone in the blink of an eye?

I would rather wireless still had max dl speeds around 3g and a higher cap as 4g speeds on a 15g $105 64k cap are just stupid

If a download starts the cap can be blown in ~50 minutes

If your on a uncapped plan and a download starts it can cost you ~$1700 per hour

If you think big downloads dont just start without the user then you have never used steam games are now around 20gb to download and software is not being made for people with limited internet in mind anymore

I am currently caped for 10 days without having tried to download anything

In cities the wireless network may get overwhelmed easy but in rural australia where they are using wireless as a cheap (for them) alternative to upgrading existing exchanges with adsl capability it is much easier to keep up with usage when homes are a mile apart so why not have a separate plan for rural customers? other than everyone loves to take advantage of those with no other option...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...295bottom

Better hope the ALP wins the next election then, because with them eventually you should get fixed point to point wireless (assuming you are in a wireless coverage area) at reasonable prices for decent data caps.

Who knows what you will get with the other lot.

meh those bone heads will run out of cash long before they get out here

If you need to download a big update, it'll happen faster. And, maybe, you'll have lower latency while gaming. Not sure what the problem is with 4G/LTE specifically - having not enough bandwidth for a big price premium has been a longrunning complaint, and the seemingly only way to get around it is have a second account with a cheap optus/vodaphone reseller.

Or wait and pray for NBN style rural wireless.

my only problem with 4g is that the excuse for not increasing the size of caps or lifting the caped speed from 64k to 128k is that it will slow the network to much...

so point to point wireless

any ideas where i would look for the gear to try setup one myself if i could find somebody with adsl2 in a town ~15k away

i dont care if it costs a few grand it would be worth it in the long run

i know its possible to get a fair distance out of standard cheap wifi gear with some chunky antennas but to get good reliable bandwidth and low latency im guessing i want something a bit better but have no idea where to find the hardware

found this

http://cordless4u.com/wlan.htm

going to need to do more research but its hard to find info on setups like this which i guess are largely for industrial uses

Edited by Dasa

so point to point wireless

any ideas where i would look for the gear to try setup one myself if i could find somebody with adsl2 in a town ~15k away

i dont care if it costs a few grand it would be worth it in the long run

i know its possible to get a fair distance out of standard cheap wifi gear with some chunky antennas but to get good reliable bandwidth and low latency im guessing i want something a bit better but have no idea where to find the hardware

You need line of site with no trees, terrain or buildings in the way.

Even then 15k is pushing it because of the curvature of the earth. You would need a bloody tall antenna towers to overcome that (that's assuming both places at roughly the same elevation with flat ground between them). At least 15 metres tall at a rough calc, so assuming I have it figured right 7 or 8 metres at each end.

You might be able to do it with Ubiquiti gear

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi#UnifiHardware

but given the output power you would need you will most likely need some sort of licence. This is well outside my area so something you would have to investigate.

here was my theory, the faster it is, the quicker everything happens and you will tell your friends etc. it's so fast it's great.

you have a small/tiny cap though, so you go through it quicker (things take less time to do) and you might go over your cap, then they can charge for extra data, making more money. unless they just shape you... in which case you may pay to get unshaped?

either way, they can make more money off you.

I have heard vivid wireless is totally unlimited and most people get about 6-8mbit from it, it's fine for general internet/downloading etc., but probably shit for games.

I have heard vivid wireless is totally unlimited and most people get about 6-8mbit from it, it's fine for general internet/downloading etc., but probably shit for games.

6 to 8Mbit is fine for games so long as no-one is downloading or streaming something at the same time, shit I play on 2.5Mbit ADSL with no dramas.

The most likely issue with vivid wireless would be latency, but that would depend on how they have the network set up and their backhaul routes.

As vivid wireless has very limited coverage, I doubt he can get it.

6 to 8Mbit is fine for games so long as no-one is downloading or streaming something at the same time, shit I play on 2.5Mbit ADSL with no dramas.

The most likely issue with vivid wireless would be latency, but that would depend on how they have the network set up and their backhaul routes.

As vivid wireless has very limited coverage, I doubt he can get it.

6-8Mbps is fine, but the latency might not be so good.

Not so much because of the backhaul, but the technology itself.

Getting coverage like they do, the radio equipment needs to have a lot of error detection and correction, which all adds to the transit time for a packet.

Edited by SquallStrife

I just wish they'd improve the signal tower hopping technology.

I live near the sea; I have 100% reception to more than 5 towers.

Internet NEVER works on my phone. When I finally got a droid and looked why, its because the phone continuously changes hotspots when it sees a stronger signal; but since they all fluctuate within 1db of each other, FML.

People do offer acceptable caps for phones IMO; kogan are offering 6GB for less than $24 a month; but I get the feeling you mean actual PC usage.

If you head up north QLD, internode supply large data wifi. When I was in Rocky, the actual town was covered by 'internode wifi' and since I had a home account I could use it all I wanted for free.

Anywho; you can get 14GB for $25 a month,

https://www.pennytel.com.au/penny-sim/data-plans

But really, lets deal with the issue at hand; unwanted downloads.

Get ZONE ALARM firewall, click the giant "INTERNET LOCK" (you may need a version BEFORE it was bought out by checkpoint for this feature?)

Then you just 'bypass lock' what you want to get online; its bloody nice!

Getting coverage like they do, the radio equipment needs to have a lot of error detection and correction, which all adds to the transit time for a packet.

Curiously, just like my modem manages to properly correct litterally thousands of errors a second (I have my line quality 'lied about' in the firmware); could they turn that error correction down a tad and expect smart phones to handle some of the basic correction now we have the processing power?

I don't think it's possible to buy a capped internet plans on fiber or cable here in Norway, but we do have caps on our 4G and 3G networks. I think we pay around $90 AUD a month for an XL plan which is around 30GB on 4G and 40Mbps download and upload is around 20Mbps (Depending on where you are. Much less on the coutry side - around 5Mbps there).

It's still too low. 30Gb goes pretty quickly, but these plans are really only used for people who travel or who don't want to buy an internet plan for their holiday house (wireless plans can be paused when not in use). Norway has an advantage that it is much smaller than Australia so it's hard to live somewhere where you can't get high speed broadband even if fiber isn't available yet.

But i agree. Marketing that we have SOOO much download capacity and you get 5GB to play with is pretty poor.