nobody813

Nvidia GeForce 700 Series Announced

That's right, Nvidia has just announced the GeForce 700 Series. Unfortunately for those wanting "new" cards, these instead will be using the same chips as numerous 600 Series cards, and the GTX Titan. The first model announced is the GTX 780, which uses the same chip (cut down however) as the GTX Titan. Reviews below:

- Tom's Hardware

- TechPowerUp!

- AnandTech

What does everyone think of this "new" card?

Edited by nobody813

better value than titan or gtx680 assuming it overclocks ok it might not be a bad option for some

Looks like a much better card for the price/performance compared to the titan unless you need more ram. Overclocking would be interesting to see, might need a custom bios to really see all the performance it has if it throttles like the titan.

I'll be looking at one of these or a second hand titan,

depends what AMD's new cards are like

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I thought this was a pretty neat summary from AnandTech:

"Finally, looking at GTX 780 as an upgrade path, NVIDIA’s ultimate goal here isn’t to sell the card as an upgrade to existing GTX 680 owners, but rather as with past products the upgrade path is targeted at those buying video cards at 2+ year intervals. GTX 580 is 2.5 years old, while GTX 480 and GTX 280 are older still. A $650 won’t move GTX 680 owners, but with GTX 780 in some cases doubling GTX 580’s performance NVIDIA believe it may very well move Fermi owners, and they’re almost certainly right."

Fuck I thought they were supposed to be bringing out new technology in this year's range of cards. I was expecting double the speeds of current gen.

Looks like my 580 will serve me well for another year or more maybe.

i hope thats not true, I just ordered a $544 EVGA GTX680 that's guaranteed ref design for WC purposes by the supplier, couldnt stretch another $300 for a GTX780, or rather wait till next pay, getting major frame stuttering on my temp 7750 xfire cards that cost me $60 in total and its driving me nutz, and was expecting GTX770 @ ~600-700 $AU when they eventually drop into the AU market.

so gtx770 is a slightly overclocked gtx680 with a better hsf and some nice power efficiency tweaks

looks like its as cheap as $399 in the us but here its $449

gtx680 has dropped to $429 from $459 already

looks like gtx770 can match 7970 ghz in performance but with lower power use and idle power use is incredible at half what gtx680\7970 use

noise is excellent being much lower than 7970 or gtx680

only down side i see is 2g vram which may be a problem for those that want to keep the card a while or use texture mods but for those that just want great fps at 1080p in current games it looks like a nice card

dont suppose there is any reviews that compare it to gtx680 at the same clock speeds just to make sure there is no other tweaks that effect performance?

so gtx770 is a slightly overclocked gtx680 with a better hsf and some nice power efficiency tweaks

looks like its as cheap as $399 in the us but here its $449

gtx680 has dropped to $429 from $459 already

looks like gtx770 can match 7970 ghz in performance but with lower power use and idle power use is incredible at half what gtx680\7970 use

noise is excellent being much lower than 7970 or gtx680

only down side i see is 2g vram which may be a problem for those that want to keep the card a while or use texture mods but for those that just want great fps at 1080p in current games it looks like a nice card

dont suppose there is any reviews that compare it to gtx680 at the same clock speeds just to make sure there is no other tweaks that effect performance?

I haven't found any yet that compare them clock for clock, and yes agreed on the 2GB VRAM not being enough

One thing I do find interesting is with in the HD 7000 series, AMD really clocked those things high, and as a result the TDP of the chips shot up rather quickly for a "minimal" clock increase. Same thing has happened here with the GTX 770. They're both getting as much as they can out of each chip. However, it does make you wonder how AMD will respond. The HD 7790 with it's GCN "2.0" (I'm not sure if it is 2.0, but it's a refined version compared to the rest of the HD 7000 GCN cards) was quite power efficient, so it would be rather interesting how higher end parts would go in regards to overall performance, and performance per watt, the latter especially which hasn't been on AMD's side of late

I guess time will tell

EDIT: Regarding performance per watt, I've only seen TechPowerUp show it, and strangely they show that the GTX 770 uses less power than the GTX 680. Colour me confused :-S

Edited by nobody813

They only didnt add more RAM because the 780 has 3Gb, plus who cares, all the partners will release 4gb versions

Any ideas if x2 760's would be cheaper or the same as a 770 4gb, but give a higher FPS?

Edited by moofactory

Gainward GeForce GTX 780 Phantom Pictured

Posted Image

"Cleaning up the discrete fans is now easier than ever, by simply turning out thumb-screws that hold each fan in place, and sliding them out."

Another angle in the link, also a very Taiwanese youtube vid.

My gosh, what a great innovation. I liked the Phantom series already, but this is very neat. I wonder what the acoustics are like...

And its officially out. I'm eying off a pair of EVGA FTW SC cards for myself. custom 680 pcb with better power for better ocing.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760...-choice-gamers/

managed to find the first SLI review of a pair of MSI gamer edition cards.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2224/10/

Edited by Modz

If your about to spend money, the 760 is the better option over 670. boost 2.0 and the h.264 encoder are both very attractive features the 670 doesn't have. From what i can see the price difference is there. Evga 760 SC is $339, while a stock evga 670 is $359. from the reviews of the evga sc it matches the stock 670s in terms of perf. So if your wanting to buy into this performance bracket, the 760 is slightly cheaper, but with a more refined core and better features. What the most attractive thing is for me is the SLi performance. Even using the beta drivers the stock 760s are a good bit faster than a titan, for almost 50% less money. And 2 760s are clearly cheaper than 2 670s. and will have cheaper water blocks in my case. So its a done deal for me :)

You can't buy a 670 on PCCG now for less than $369. and even the 7950 s are very limit in stock.

Edited by Modz