kikz

I just tried the Occulus Rift

The vision off center thing is the responsibility of the game dev, not the hardware manufacturer. The EVR prototype was set up so when you hit "back" on the xbox controller, it reset your current heading to forwards, museum of the microstar does a similar trick. Basically, whenever you feel it's out of kilter, look forwards and relock that direction.

Well, no. This is all a very minor point, but the game dev has zero control or responsibility. They provide a free-look cockpit, and the hardware's software does the tracking - including providing a center button - which isn't game dependent, it's universal. It may be different on Xbox.

The Rift has some Competition, but they are still looking for funding at this stage.

The InfinitEYE.

It has a 210 degree FOV, rather than the 90 degrees offered by the Rift...

Should be interesting if they get the funding... All the better for us!

From someone who hasn't tried the Rift yet, I can kind of see how a wider FOV may not necessarily be such a big deal, just a nice feature, as you're not locked to a 'frame' so to speak, you just look left or right and you can see 'wider'

Edited by millen

I reckon 210 is more than my vision. That said i am very short sighted so have pretty crap fov anyway, out the sides of my glasses

And rumour is Sony will be showing something VR related at TGS , It wouldn't be a direct competitor as I thinks its just PS4 related , Sonys 3D visor didnt take off in a big way so for them it would be re-purposing the RD they have already done.

Anyway the occulus folks have said it wouldn't bother them if MS or Sony got into VR as it would prove the validity of VR and encourage game developers into the VR arena.

That said The InfinitEYE would certainly be a direct competitor for the rift, my worry is that too many competing products in the PC arena would maybe cause compatibility issues that could see game developers put VR in the too hard basket.

Sony HMZ T2

Despite the title of the clip this is not VR it 3d for video/games , but same technology could be re-purposed for VR and the rumor is, that is what has been/is being done.

Edited by Waltish

The vision off center thing is the responsibility of the game dev, not the hardware manufacturer. The EVR prototype was set up so when you hit "back" on the xbox controller, it reset your current heading to forwards, museum of the microstar does a similar trick. Basically, whenever you feel it's out of kilter, look forwards and relock that direction.

Well, no. This is all a very minor point, but the game dev has zero control or responsibility. They provide a free-look cockpit, and the hardware's software does the tracking - including providing a center button - which isn't game dependent, it's universal. It may be different on Xbox.

Well, no.

The end result of the system represented by sensors->microcontroller hardware->microcontroller firmware->SDK library->game software is to provide a mapping between voltage signals generated by the device and human-interpretable values representing movement to allow for simple debugging and ease of development (you could program using the raw electrical signals, if you wanted, implementing your own mapping system, but that would be Not Invented Here syndrome when Oculus has provided a kit to do it for you).

The SDK provides a function for you to change the reference point of this mapping via OVR::SensorFusion::Reset, but it must be called. You wouldn't want the firmware of the device or the SDK deciding of it's own volition to reset the mapping, that would result in all sorts of strange behavior and require you to sanitise the input more heavily, looking for sudden changes in orientation etc. Having a physical button on the headset or a default keyboard binding at the SDK level that mucks with the mapping without telling the developer is problematic also. The SDK provides a system for telling the device to ignore changes beyond a certain threshold, an example use of which might be to create a software that will not shake if used in a car that goes over a pothole, e.g. a viewing system for firemen to use in conjunction with a quadcopter drone when heading to a bushfire. If the firmware can change the reference point for the mapping without telling the software it did so then there is no simple way to tell the difference between a user looking down and pressing the reset button, and a users head snapping up because the car hit a massive hole in the ground. You have to delay, test to see if the head unsnaps (the user might choose to keep looking up, what now), it's all harder then it need be.

The most developer friendly way to deal with the mapping between electrical current and movement is for it to remain consistent under all circumstances unless the developer specifies otherwise, so it can be managed with minimal effort, which if you review the documentation you'll see is unsurprisingly what Oculus has decided to do. You could do some kind of default keyboard button, but you'd have to implement a message passing class to let the software using the library know the mapping has just been reset, which makes the whole procedure way more complex then if you just let the developer do it themselves for very little benefit.

The cost of this approach is that it's up to the bloody developer to remember to put in a button handler the calls the SensorFusion.Reset function so the reference signals can be altered mid-gameplay. It's certainly in no way Oculuses job to put some kind of default handler in the SDK that binds to a standard keyboard button or something at the SDK library level where the developer may not see it happen.

Edited by Sir_Substance

The Occulus Rift does have something going for it that the others in VR don't , It has John Carmack as chief Tech Guy , He is a better fit to that job than just being brainy and good a programming.

I just found an article from June last year that shows him working on a VR set he made himself,

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-...l-reality-dream

So he is the right man for the job, I would say that has to be a big plus in favour of the Rift.

Edited by Waltish

jonno4130, you can't assign a html iframe element to the href of an anchor and expect it to work ;)

--hahah I laughed. at work. then shared on the general work IRC channel. haha.

Edited by kikz

I posted it while still hysterically laughing at the stupid video, but then realised some may not enjoy the humour behind it. Tried linking it differently so people weren't taken straight to it and could decide for themselves. Back up now anyway, and have flagged it to the mods in case I've broken a rule somewhere.. I was giggling up until the ragdoll/guitar/mass explosion scene when I nearly fell off my chair

Sokay Jonno. You've made the warning clear. And thanks for the headsup. We appreciate it.

I'm good with it, but if one of the other mods has a problem, they'll let you know.

BTW - I laughed. :)

How do these devices effect the eye's ? Being that your focus length is limited can these give headaches and vision problems like the 3D glasses.

You probably can or you can use there are different size lenses. or contacts. I wore my contacts.

im just hoping i can WEAR my glasses with this at all!

If you have an astigmatism, you will need to wear your glasses under the rift.

The rift guys reccomend you use your glasses and the A (20/20 vision) lenses, but I suggest you use the C (very short sighted) lenses for two reasons:

1. I get clearer vision using the C lenses with my glasses then the A lenses.

2. If you use the A lenses, even on maximum mask extension the lenses are very close to your glasses, and my glasses now have fine scratches on them as a result. I bought polycarb lenses as well, so it's not insignificant damage. A bit of googling suggests that I'm not the only one who's had this problem.

Luckily, the scratches are so small that I don't see them, but if I hadn't noticed by chance I could have done some expensive damage.

Make sure if you wear your glasses inside your rift that you keep your glasses well clear of the lens cups by whatever means neccisary.

Seems like an interesting video/review on the Rift from a Sim Racers point of view. Haven't watched it all yet as I am at work...

Will definitely check it out later though...

Still feel as though this will be a day one purchase for me, even it it isn't perfect, it just looks so damn cool.

Edited by millen

It'll blow your goddamn socks off. I had to give the Rift back to work and and it was rather depressing to go back to monitors. It's seriously that much better. I've read alot of reviews on the thing and I've never come across anything really negative. Nothing more than like the guy in the video said, "The screen door effect", which will be resolved with higher resolutions. Some guys at work tried the HD rift and said it's a big leap forward over the 1280x800.

I agree on the immersion + 3D thing too. No idea what'll it be like on other racing games, but it's pretty fucking arse. Pretty much everything he said is spot on with what I think (and what I said I when I reviewed it a few weeks ago), which is consistent with a recent review on racedepartment.

Nice link Millen, after watching it all it seems the only real issue is with the resolution which will be alot better in the final release.... I do remember seeing somewhere that even at FHD it might not be enough , but I'm still sold so I'll pre-order for sure as soon as I am able.

This thing looks totally wicked! :D I want one! :D EEEK! it would make horror games unbearable though XD