Nich...

Dear New Forum Members

If you've just signed up and are waiting for your account to be validated - and you already know a current member - it'll probably help speed things up if you ask them to PM/RTM the mods with your account name, so we know to expedite it through the queue.

If you don't know anyone already here, well... Good luck with that, we'll try and work something out :

just an idea;

'newbie' area, new users can only post outside after 5 posts inside. AND they're allowed to spam it (within reason).

So, they make an account, make an intro post, and 4 more 'others' then they're free to go.

That way everyone can auto validate, but actual SPAM will only appear in one subsection.

Just trying to come up with out of the box solutions, as apparently the capcha isnt working.

just an idea;

'newbie' area, new users can only post outside after 5 posts inside. AND they're allowed to spam it (within reason).

So, they make an account, make an intro post, and 4 more 'others' then they're free to go.

That way everyone can auto validate, but actual SPAM will only appear in one subsection.

Just trying to come up with out of the box solutions, as apparently the capcha isnt working.

+1

validation doesn't work well, i've been waiting 3 months for a bit-tech validation

just an idea;

+1

validation doesn't work well, i've been waiting 3 months for a bit-tech validation

I'm a member there. Will that help speed up the process for you?

umm, what does this mean? Do new folks have a waiting period before they can post?

umm, what does this mean? Do new folks have a waiting period before they can post?

Due to the number of spammers hitting our forums, we have to validate all new members in the back end before they are allowed to post.

Sometimes when things are busy, there can be a period where they are waiting on validation. Or if their email/nickname looks a little funny, then they won't be validated as they will be lumped in with the spammers.

We TRY our hardest to sort out who should be validated and who we guess is a spammer, but obviously the system isn't perfect and we will make mistakes.

I personally have approved about 2 dozen new memberships over the last week, and have deleted about 500 which were (I believe) spam accounts. Hawkeye has probably done similar numbers (although slightly less).

It's a bitch and a pain in the butt, but we would be overrun if we were to allow autovalidation to occur.

The issue with the suggestion is that we would need to make a new forum section, which (from what I understand) takes far more Dev time than we are allocated.

edit: okay. I have just gone back through the logs and done some quick calculations just to give you an idea of the scale of the problem.

Since 1 May we have denied 1692 accounts and approved 94.

Edited by Chaos.Lady

Fucking hell.

Thats a bit ridiculous.

More than a bit really.

Hawkeye is going mental (well... mentaler) trying to figure out another way of doing it, but nothing has shown itself so far.

Yeah, I think we'd have more hope of fighting this if iPB were on side, but we're kind of on our own. I've told the dev guys the scale of the issue, but it's a real tough one. CAPCHA just seems to not make a difference at all.

AU ISP only email requirement? with provision for dispensation by asking in an onlne form?

Can't have a human test instead of a CAPTCHA?

Like a question of "who's the editor of PCTA?"

Edited by PointZeroOne

The thought has crossed my mind, but I'm not sure I can convince the devs to go through that hell again.

Due to the number of spammers hitting our forums, we have to validate all new members in the back end before they are allowed to post.

Sometimes when things are busy, there can be a period where they are waiting on validation. Or if their email/nickname looks a little funny, then they won't be validated as they will be lumped in with the spammers.

We TRY our hardest to sort out who should be validated and who we guess is a spammer, but obviously the system isn't perfect and we will make mistakes.

I personally have approved about 2 dozen new memberships over the last week, and have deleted about 500 which were (I believe) spam accounts. Hawkeye has probably done similar numbers (although slightly less).

It's a bitch and a pain in the butt, but we would be overrun if we were to allow autovalidation to occur.

The issue with the suggestion is that we would need to make a new forum section, which (from what I understand) takes far more Dev time than we are allocated.

edit: okay. I have just gone back through the logs and done some quick calculations just to give you an idea of the scale of the problem.

Since 1 May we have denied 1692 accounts and approved 94.

Sorry I didn't realise. That sucks, thanks for the good work.

Thanks Hlass but I wasn't quoting those numbers to look for props (although Hawkeye deserves plenty for running a magazine and yet still finding time to do Admin as well).

I'm just trying to give you guys an idea of why we have to have validation - as clunky and error prone as that is - and why it's currently our only solution.

You guys are going to need some extra fire power. Time to bring out the big guns.

Has anyone contacted chrisg yet?

If you don't know anyone already here, well... Good luck with that, we'll try and work something out :<

U fukn seriou? lol. Edited by smakme7757

I'm a member there. Will that help speed up the process for you?

maybe, is it just contact a mod like here?

a human test would work well, a lot of forums use them now.

If you don't know anyone already here, well... Good luck with that, we'll try and work something out :

U fukn seriou? lol.
For reals.

For 90% of new accounts, it's impossible to tell if it's legit or a spam bot judging by email address or account name. And, most of the ones that look legit and are validated are still spam bots.

Being told account x is legit is an easy way for account x to be validated. Not being told makes it a bitch to work out.

Edited by Nich...

At least if we had a 'only here untill 5 posts' those 1600+ spam members, would only be able to drop their ad-spam in one area.

There will be a few 'actual humans' spamming, who will get out, but it'd be a limited number.

That way, if its an actual memeber.

"hi my name is CAPTAIN AWESOME and i'm super cool, please accept me?"

"hi, post 2 to get out"

"post 3"

"wakka wakka 4"

"FREEDOM!"

Then purge that subsection every week or so.

We need out of the box ideas, because just hoping it stops is never the solution.