hulkster

Asked to not use a nickname

I wasn't going to mention this so close to the whole Adam Goodes drama but fuck it I'm amused by it all.

Monday night we were in the local pub celebrating a mates birthday. He is and has been known as Blacky for as long as I can remember. He is part Aboriginal.

We were all getting a bit loud but not over the top, laughing and telling stories about Blacky and some of the things he has done in the past.

At one stage the owner/barman asked a couple of the blokes to not call him Blacky in case we offended someone.

So if Blacky is ok with it and we are ok with it why is it anyone else's business what we call him?

We had the same issue up here a few years back. There was a football stand called the 'E.S. 'Nigger' Brown' stand names after a long dead footy player who's nickname was 'Nigger' because he was so white and pale. it was never meant nor was it used in a derogatory way until the local aboriginal activist/trouble maker got onto it and after a few years including appeals to the international human right organisation he finally got his way. None of the other local Aboriginals I spoke to or heard of shared this guys views but there you go. So good luck in your fight against the cowardly and insipid capitulation to political correctness where in the end we'll just end up smiling at each other and never saying a word out of fear that someone precious little weenie might make the choice to be 'offended' by someone, or as is more the case these days, anything. The only hope we have is for everyone to disobey, they can't lock us ALL up.

Nigger is an offensive word. People don't choose to be offended, it is offensive.

And before we get sidetracked if Afro-American people decide to call each other nigger that doesn't give white australians carte blanche. Not your culture, not your rules to live by.

Nigger is an offensive word. People don't choose to be offended, it is offensive.

And before we get sidetracked if Afro-American people decide to call each other nigger that doesn't give white australians carte blanche. Not your culture, not your rules to live by.

I can see how that word carries some clout. However hulkster's mate is nicknamed Blackie.

Not quite the same.

It's a bit of a shit storm, this whole PC business. If Blackie is fine with being identified by that name then who is anyone else to say he can't?

Me, personally, I'm all for using politically incorrect terms (as you all know), so long as it's delivered with humour and good will as opposed to hatred and venom.

There is a massive difference.

Back when I was in primary school. I was the wog. I went to school with people from ALL around the world.

Sure, not everyone got along, but that's the case with all humans. We had nicknames for each other. Most of which would get me banned here for being a racist. But none of my mates, nor I, ever got offended by it. We embraced it.

Wogs are what makes Australia.

If you (not hlass specifically) can't have a good laugh about a nickname then it is not me who has the problem.

Wogs, Asians, Aborigines....all part of Australia. Variety is the spice of life. If I can't use a unique way to identify my friends and likewise them, Then fuck you.

I guess this bloke is a homophobic gaybasher, too?

No, obviously not. He's a dude who likes to have a good laugh with his mates.

Posted Image

Edited by twinair

Some people miss having a pole up their arse so much that they invent situations that force them to put one right back up there, themselves.

Some people miss having a pole up their arse so much that they invent situations that force them to put one right back up there, themselves.

Huh?

It wasn't to the person to whom it was applied.

But the same objector also decided that coffee was equally offensive (as in 'short black' and 'long black'.) He is/was also going after 'coon' cheese. I shit you not. This is a person who CHOOSES to be offended and hence I have placed him on 'ignore'.

Who was white. And died 41 years ago.

So why should a black person alive today give a fuck what he thought about a nickname bestowed in the 1920s?

Edited by Hlass

I agree with you, Hulks.

People are offended far too easily. Or at least scared of offending said people.

If I was Blackey, I would have gone up to bartender and said that "It's my nickname I've had for longer than you've been alive. It's a term of affection and I'm offended that you won't let my friends express their affection to me"

It would have been worth getting kicked out of a pub. I'd then go to the media about it. But that's cause I can be vindictive at times.

AD

Huh?

Basically there are people who aren't personally offended who like interjecting themselves into situations they're not required in, to inform others that there's a potential a third party that isn't even present, that might be offended.

So why should a black person alive today give a fuck what he thought about a nickname bestowed in the 1920s?

Said black person should mind his own business because the term wasn't being applied to him in the first place. If it was being applied to him personally or being used in a derogate way to another black guy then he'd have a point. IMO

(edit. Plus what Leo said)

Edited by Director

Said black person should mind his own business because the term wasn't being applied to him in the first place. If it was being applied to him personally or being used in a derogate way to another black guy then he'd have a point. IMO

You kidding? No one can feel aggrieved unless they are mentioned by name?

Well I had a mate nicknamed "all Christians are filthy paedophiles". Oh how he loved that nickname! I am planning to name a large public hospital after him. Would you be offended? If you are offended it is your fault.

You kidding? No one can feel aggrieved unless they are mentioned by name?

Well I had a mate nicknamed "all Christians are filthy paedophiles". Oh how he loved that nickname! I am planning to name a large public hospital after him. Would you be offended? If you are offended it is your fault.

Well done on taking what he said and twisting it to something he didn't.

You missing the point isn't anyone else's fault sweety.

Then there was my mate called "greedy, murderous Jew". He is getting an international airport and an overpass named after him. Offended? You don't have the right to be I am afraid.

Then there was my mate called "greedy, murderous Jew". He is getting an international airport and an overpass named after him. Offended? You don't have the right to be I am afraid.

You're still missing the point Hlass.

Think nuance. Big hint there.

Definition of nuance: a subtle difference or distinction in expression, meaning, response, etc

Hey if liked the nickname then it wouldn't bother me all. That's a great nickname BTW!

I bloke I know (not mate as such, just acquaintance) has a nickname of Dogshit. Had it for years. To this day that's all most people call him. I find it funny.

Not sure how he got the name but I think when he was young no girls ever tried to pick him up.

Definition of nuance: a subtle difference or distinction in expression, meaning, response, etc

Nigger. Yeah heap of nuance there. Every black person should appreciate it just like a not-black person like you does.

Nigger. Yeah heap of nuance there. Every black person should appreciate it just like a not-black person like you does.

Keep trying Hlass. Maybe by page 15, your need to think will catch up with your need to be angry at everything not approved by the politburo.

so, why did nigger get the nick name?

in white australia qld, calling some one nigger for being white was probly damn funny with all the other white fellas.

either that or he got the name when he got caught fucking an aboriginal.

or he performed in the local minstrel show.

or he used nigger brown kiwi boot pollish

or perhaps he was miserly and stingy.

edit: drug use

Edited by meowkitty

You're such a hitler MeowKitty (I say in a sense of trying to prove your point and not a reflection of you. Hope you don't mind me using your name to illustrate the point)

Nigger has a lot of negative connotations. So does Hitler. Both could be considered insulting.

However, BLACKIE is not insulting in my books (In this context). Christ. How many people had or had friends whose kids named their dog/cat that was black "Blackie". I knew about 4 in my childhood. (Correlary: White animals named Snowy, and black animals with white paws called "Socks"). Now would you be offended if a 6yr old was looking for their lost puppy and walking through the neighboorhood shouting "BLACKIE! BLACKIE!"

AD

Edited by AccessDenied