JediKnight

Tasmanian Computer Stores

I've been looking in Tasmania for PC Parts etc, and have only found one place in Moonah and he was useless. PC Case Gear are far to expensive shipping wise, so I'm wondering how taswegians get their gear. I'm not familiar with most aspects of Hobart yet so any advice would be welcome.

:)

While I'm currently living in Hobart, I'm yet to visit a PC store. However, while I was in Launceston I used to shop at a little place called Principal Computers. They also have a store in Hobart, so that'll be my first call if I need something locally

Sorry I didn't help ya much :-/

Despite living in Hobart, I have always bought from PC Case Gear. As "nobody" mentioned, Principal Computers are local and, realistically, they're your best bet if you're dead set keen on buying from a Tasmanian store. But, in my experience, they are extremely limited in stock and their prices are heavily inflated, making it a realistic option to buy from the mainland even with shipping costs calculated in. In fact most of my builds have still ended up cheaper when buying from PCCG as opposed to buying all components locally.

For non-wholesale purchases I nearly always use PCCG, their freight is no worse than a lot of other places when it comes to shipping to Tassie.

Thanks for the tips ... I just baulked at PCCG prices when I saw it was $42 shipping on a single case. Will keep looking around but it's slim pickings here.

Thanks for the tips ... I just baulked at PCCG prices when I saw it was $42 shipping on a single case. Will keep looking around but it's slim pickings here.

PC cases always cost a lot to ship due to the size of the package.

You could give these guys a try

http://www.principalcomputers.com.au/

81-89 Brisbane Street, Hobart, TAS, 7000.

;)

Can be the same problem in WA mate, as I think you know Actually I'm thinking of moving to Tassie myself, Atomicans I've known on the island never seem to buy locally, Altech at the obvious URL, although you may need an ACN, is one that I helped some people with a few years back. Surprised no one has mentioned msy online, or i-tech are another that I often buy on-line from.

Takes nothing away from PCCG though, you pay for what you get, superb service, never sell something they don't have complete faith in in my experience.

Cheers

Thanks Aliali :)

;)

Can be the same problem in WA mate, as I think you know Actually I'm thinking of moving to Tassie myself,

Cheers

You should. It's a totally different lifestyle to WA, although I feel the cold more quickly here, the smell of burning woodsmoke burning every night is great :)

Just secured a 3 bed house in Moonah, and eventually want to build a network.

Altech at the obvious URL,

Ye I use Altech, Anyware and Multimedia Technology. However PCCG is often a fraction cheaper than Altech, but their freight is a bit more expensive, sp depending on what I need to get depends on where I purchase from.

Ah fibre construction is due to start there within 12 months, so hopefully it won't get disrupted by the wankers currently in Federal opposition. It shouldn't as Tas supposedly has an agreement of some sort between the state Government and NBNCo for the fibre to be rolled out to completion and from memory the state opposition is also all for it (well at least they where, they seem to be keeping pretty stumm about Abbott's fraudband plan).

Ah fibre construction is due to start there within 12 months, so hopefully it won't get disrupted by the wankers currently in Federal opposition. It shouldn't as Tas supposedly has an agreement of some sort between the state Government and NBNCo for the fibre to be rolled out to completion and from memory the state opposition is also all for it (well at least they where, they seem to be keeping pretty stumm about Abbott's fraudband plan).

Yeah it's really odd the NBN is underway in most of Glenorchy/Montrose/Claremont, and Hobart to New Town, but Moonah/West Moonah/other end of Glenorchy is so far behind. We're stuck with ADSL1 (Reach) so we're going with TPG until the NBN decides to start work here. Currently I have an Optus Mobile Dongle which is sufficient for now.