Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Splash1

Upgrade GPU from PCI Express 2.0 to PCI Express 3.0 for GA-EX58-UD5?

Hi guys,

Would like some advice from guru's in the know. I wish to upgrade my GPU to a ASUS HD 7970 Is this possible or am I dreaming? Sinnce I build my rigg 3-4 years ago, I have lost that magic touch of confidently deciphering the matrix code that runs down my screen........

My current MoBo is a GA-EX58-UD5 and current GPU card is a GeForce GTS250 PCI Express 2.0 Bus

Why the enthusiasm for the new card? I wish to run FSX on 3 x 24" Monitors with AMD Eyefinity, where all displays have a native 1920 x 1200 resolution. The LCD monitors include 1x ASUS MK241H and 2x Dell U2412M

So will my MOBO take the ASUS HD 7970 on board and I am very also curious as to what my final resolutions will be like across the 3x screens?

ASUS HD 7970 Resolution:

D-Sub Max Resolution : 2048x1536

DVI Max Resolution : 2560x1600

ASUS HD 7970 Interface:

DVI Output : Yes x 1 (DVI-I), Yes x 1 (DVI-D)

HDMI Output : Yes x 1 (via DVI to HDMI adaptor x 1 )

Display Port : Yes x 4 (Regular DP)

HDCP Support : Yes

Thanks in advance.

I can't help with the resolution questions (apart from noting that you'll probably have to turn down some settings in new games if you want to run them on three screens), but I do know about the compatibility issue.

HD7970 are designed for PCIe 3.0, whereas your Mobo only has 2.0. However, PCIe is backwards compatible, so a card designed for 3.0 will work in a 2.0 slot and vice versa. That said, 3.0 offers twice the bandwidth of 2.0 for any given configuration of PCIe lanes (x16, x8, etc), so running a single card in PCIe 2.0 x16 is the same as PCIe 3.0 x8 (two cards each running in x8 is the standard crossfire setup). In practice, this does not cause any appreciable performance issues. However, 3.0 x4 (or 2.0 x8) does start to bottleneck the card at lower resolutions such as 1680x1050 (and 3.0 x4 / 2.0 x2 is worse), although at higher resolutions or more demanding games this will be less evident. The main upshot of this is that you won't notice any performance hit for using 2.0 instead of 3.0 for a single card, but you might find that a crossfire setup is starved of bandwidth.

Anandtech have a good article on this.

Edited by DaCraw

It will be fine, as the others said, PCIE is backwards compatible, so no issues there. As for Eyefinity, you will need atleast 1 monitor with a Display Port on it, if none of them have display ports, you will need to look at buying an active dvi - dp or something like that. In eyefinity, 3 1920x1200 monitors would run at 5760x1200. *EDIT* Just checked your links, those Dell monitors have Display port. You'll be fine.

Edited by NukeJockey

Only issue I can foresee is with the PSU, what kind of power supply do you have at the moment?

From AMD, the 7970 require a 500W or great power supply with one 150 8-pin PCI Express power connector and one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector.

He's running a HX620, it should be fine.

Oh yeah, the small print. I never read that, even when signing legal documentation. :D

Thanks guys,

This is some great feed back to complete my build that I started in 09, and with regards to the power supply, neither did I complete the build with the Corsair HX-1000W at the time. So that cab be used to justifiably run the new card and fans to be installed !

Thanks to all for inputs.

This is what makes Atomic what it is, and always should be !! - a no B.S. one stop shop for tech that counts, from the gurus in the know !!!

He's running a HX620, it should will be fine.

Fixed.

I know this thread is a week old. But I have the same MB, GPU and PSU.

It'll all work together :)

How did you go? End up getting it all setup?