Reccommendations for modem-routers to use solely in bridge mode

Since you don't really run across newly made modem-only modems anymore, what's a good modem-router to use in bridge mode? I am making the uninformed assumption that using a modem-router in bridge mode still has differences in speed/reliability/features. If that's not the case, does that mean any old ADSL2+ modem-router will do the job exactly as well as any other?

Usage: ADSL2+ (NBN too I suppose...)

Router: Asus RT-AC66U

ISP: I'm moving in 2 months time so I have no idea at the moment. Will probably be Exetel.

Thanks for any help.

(For those who haven't heard of/used bridge mode, it 'turns off' the router functions of a modem-router so that it essentially just functions as a modem. This is useful if you're hooking the device to another router, as router to router setups create messes with things like NAT types, firewalls, IP assigning and port forwarding.)

Edited by 17

I have had quite a few modem routers in my time. Currently I have the Billion BIPAC 7800N and it is the best I have owned in terms of speed and features. I use it bridged with a computer doing the routing but I am still able to use the Ethernet ports and wireless functionality fine.

Usage: ADSL2+ (NBN too I suppose...)

Router: Asus RT-AC66U

Assuming you have a router you want to use for some specific reason then the TP-Link TD-8817 is being used by some

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/?acti...mp;f=&fg=-1

Do note some people do seem to have issues with it.

Otherwise try and get your hands on a good secondhand Speedstream 4200, these are apparently damn good in bridge mode.

Even the old Telstra 2wire modems can be good in bridge apparently.

Apart from that then any cheap modem should do.

Whatever modem you get it will be useless for the NBN unless it has a specific EWAN port. For NBN connections you normally just use a pure router, or if only one device needs connection, you can connect a PC direct to the NBN port via ethernet, no router or anything.

If you are looking at a fibre connection and are looking at the fastest 100/40 plans then you must get a router capable of at least 200Mbit WAN to LAN bare minimum.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view has a good list of routers.

From that chart I would not actually go below the NETGEAR (WNDR3800) and would most likely go for the WNDR4500 or the ASUS RT-N66U.

I use it bridged with a computer doing the routing but I am still able to use the Ethernet ports and wireless functionality fine.

Then it is not in pure bridge mode. Bridge mode specifically means that only the modem component is enabled, no wireless, no nat no routing, no nothing.

Billion BIPAC 7800N noted- I guess speed does still matter in bridge mode.

Aliali, you're quite right regarding NBN and not needing a modem- I just listed NBN to provide any possibly useful info. In fact, the reason I was willing to get a non-modem router was because I knew I eventually wouldn't need a modem with the NBN. You're also correct in assuming that I want to use a specific router. The Asus RT-AC66U is a good performing (ranked 5th for WAN to LAN) router with a great interface and was out when I needed it.

Apparently the Speedstream 4200 can't handle full ADSL2+ speeds according to Speedstream4200.com which otherwise praises the 4200. The good thing is that they're cheap, so I might just take your advice and settle for one.

Thanks for that chart as well. Per your recommendations I think I'm fortunately quite well set! Here's how mine fares:

Netgear WNDR3800: 335.3Mbps

Netgear WNDR4500: 767.7Mbps

Asus RT-N66U: 731.6Mbps

Asus RT-AC66U: 836.0Mbps (the one I own)

Thanks for being as helpful as always. When I get the modem I'll make sure I plug it in properly ;)

Edit: While I believe the Asus RT-AC66U trumps it as a wireless router, the truth is that I think the Fritz!box is just too damn awesome for me to be wasting it as a glorified modem- I wouldn't really use it as a combo device. I've always viewed it like Skulltrail motherboards- too good and too extreme even for an overclocking, volt modding, enthusiast tech head. So using the Fritz as a modem would be like wielding the power of God to scratch my nose.

Edited by 17

Apparently the Speedstream 4200 can't handle full ADSL2+ speeds according to Speedstream4200.com which otherwise praises the 4200. The good thing is that they're cheap, so I might just take your advice and settle for one.

May depend on model and firmware. I have come across some with ADSL1 only firmware, but a firmware update fixed that, at least as far as ADSL 2+ sync speeds go. if the problem is the modem does not have the physical grunt to transfer at ADSL 2+ max speeds then bridging will actually help as it takes all the NAT, firewall and DHCP load off the modem.

If you have the 7800N already then may as well bridge that, saves buying another device. The 7800N can also do fibre as it has an EWAN port, but it is only good for about 50Mbit from memory.

According to Internode the newer Billion 7800NXL is good for 100mbit on the EWAN port (reconfigured LAN port) and also has an ADSL modem for use prior to the NBN.

In fact according to Billion it has triple-WAN ports for 3G/4G LTE, ADSL2+, Gigabit Ethernet WAN (EWAN) for broadband connectivity.

I am actually interested in getting my grubby paws on a Western Digital My Net N900 router as it has 7 gigabit plan ports plus wan port, although I will only be getting NBN wireless where I am.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=710

Yeah I saw a thread on Whirlpool where ADSL2+ speeds were 'unlocked' with a firmware update. I'm just worried that even after attaining ADSL2+ speeds, the Speedstream will only pass on 5500Mbps (for example) while I'm receiving 6000 or 8000 from the line. Nothing's purchases yet- though I was 30 minutes close to buying one. An eBay auction for the 4200 was ending today for 99c + $16 shipping. I was about to snipe it but had to go to the loo...

No worries- as there are always 4200s on eBay and this gives me more time to decide. I've looked at the 7800 series from Belkin today as well- esepcially the 7800NXL. They seem like newer, more solid offerings. Just seems like so much wasted potential. At the end of the day I suppose you can't avoid wasting features if you're only going to use one of these in bridge mode.

I had a bad experience with Fritz; much better with my 7800N, but maybe firmware updates have helped.