Sign in to follow this  
noskcaj

Intel Skylake

Haswell has well served our interests- can't wait for the new rumour mill to start churning for Skylake.

Why is Broadwell boring?

Maybe because it's basically just a die shrink with some new instruction sets thrown in...

yeah, it's a die shink and better integrated gpu, nothing we care about

Why is Broadwell boring?

Maybe because it's basically just a die shrink with some new instruction sets thrown in...

yeah, it's a die shink and better integrated gpu, nothing we care about

unless this die shrink does the opposite to ivy and improves overclocking over sandy then we will care deeply

just because 22nm is a bit of a dud doesnt mean 14nm will be

Edited by Dasa

Guest xyzzy frobozz

One thing that Haswell has done is make X79 look like an excellent purchase, particularly for those who bought early on.

I was beginning to think X79 was a bit of a dud platform. I bought it hoping for some longevity and an upgrade path. Looking at Haswell performance makes me feel like it was a decent choice.

unless this die shrink does the opposite to ivy and improves overclocking over sandy then we will care deeply

just because 22nm is a bit of a dud doesnt mean 14nm will be

if that happens, we all will care about it

One thing that Haswell has done is make X79 look like an excellent purchase, particularly for those who bought early on.

I was beginning to think X79 was a bit of a dud platform. I bought it hoping for some longevity and an upgrade path. Looking at Haswell performance makes me feel like it was a decent choice.

it sucks that its running two generations and almost two years behind the mid end platform otherwise i would be interested in it myself

in programs like arma2 with bad threading its ~20% slower than haswell

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/897-21/cpu...arma-ii-oa.html

but in programs that make use of 6 threads it pulls back in front

my 2600k is almost two and a half years old but 15-20% isnt enough for me to justify upgrading from my 2600k cpu\mb\ram at this stage which makes the tight ass in me happy but the geek in me very sad

being in withdrawals i may need to satisfy that upgrade hunger by wasting some cash on a case and water upgrade some of which is now 10 years old

my 2600k is more than enough, especially since it's a high binned one

Guest xyzzy frobozz

it sucks that its running two generations and almost two years behind the mid end platform otherwise i would be interested in it myself

in programs like arma2 with bad threading its ~20% slower than haswell

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/897-21/cpu...arma-ii-oa.html

but in programs that make use of 6 threads it pulls back in front

my 2600k is almost two and a half years old but 15-20% isnt enough for me to justify upgrading from my 2600k cpu\mb\ram at this stage which makes the tight ass in me happy but the geek in me very sad

being in withdrawals i may need to satisfy that upgrade hunger by wasting some cash on a case and water upgrade some of which is now 10 years old

Being behind is a bit of a double edged sword.

On one hand, there does indeed seem to be a good upgrade path for X79. Basically, the 4770K is on a par with a 3820. This means that the X79 buyer has been able to keep the one motherboard, but can go to hexcore, and still has at least one die shrink left in the platform, whereas Socket 1155 is an EOL product.

The other hand, as you mention, we're just not seeing the performance improvements anymore, so that someone like yourself with 1155 probably wouldn't bother upgrading their motherboard to LGA1150 for some pretty small performance gains. I reckon it will pretty much be the same when Sandy Bridge-E goes to IB-E as it was from SB to IB - not really worth even updating the CPU. The point is, at least I won't have to upgrade the motherboard to get it if I decide I need the 10-20% performance boost.

my 2600k is more than enough, especially since it's a high binned one

I know, right?

Like Dasa said, the inner nerd in me just isn't excited at upgrading anymore. But hey, at least it saves money, and you don't actually need to upgrade every couple of years just to play the latest games and run the latest programs, or even see much of a performance boost.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

i'm more interested in case mods and linux nowdays, my PC is already overkill

CPUs are coming out faster than we actually need them (provided one upgrades at the time of release).

as long as it overclocks well and has decent performance thats all I care about really.

If it does well under cold (No CB/CBB) then I will be really interested. Hoping to go cold this year and am getting the bits for it...just where to find LN2 for a decent price might be a issue..:P

Back on topic though where are sources confirming it will have DDR4?

CPUs are coming out faster than we actually need them (provided one upgrades at the time of release).

They don't expect people to update every time. Only crazy enthusiasts do that.

So kind of like cars?

i'm more interested in case mods and linux nowdays, my PC is already overkill

How is a 7950 overkill?

So kind of like cars?

Ha! Yep! So hard to keep up!

Ah ha, that's what it was called (Broadwell). Going off our previous knowledge, I assumed a thread would be made about Broadwell, no matter if it was "boring" to certain users. That's why I made my initial comment :-P

Now that it seems to have been cancelled, renamed, or never existed in the 1st place, it'll be cool to see info flow in about Haswell's replacement as well, plus news on Skylake