Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Brisbane has been going off!

So in the last fortnight I went to see two of my favorite bands, on their first ever world tours.

Eluvietie and Kamelot.

Eluvitie took me on a jouney through spirit and conciousness.

Their choice of a backdrop of 'flying over the ocean' was there for a reason. Medieval instruments (including the HurdyGurdy, which sounds amazing) and a clear, but gruff male voice broken up by a smooth female backing truly made me forget time itself. I tore a muscle in my leg on the way to the concert (girldriend forgot her ID, 40mins till doors open, and 2km away. I ran, in converse, fucking ow), and the pain dissapeared. For those couple of hours, everyone there was one. United by metal. I'm pretty straight edge, no drugs no alcohol, but stopping your mind going on a journey with the lyrics would have been near impossible.

Kamelot was another experience, more party though.

Power metal (well, symphonic metal I guess) often results in a mix of nerd, goth and metal head. The crowd overall was pathetic. There wasnt even any sort of continuous jumping up front, the back was completely stationary; however I did manage to find myself next to two true metal heads, so in a group of 6 or so people who gravitated toward us, we had a fucking awesome night. Air guitar, head banging, singing the lyrics back at the lead vocalist while he aimed his gaze at us. Got a high five from the drummer. ALMOST got a guitar pick, but the guy next to me did. I'm OK with this, as it was a true metal fan who got it. Not one of the kids who didnt know any songs and didnt move a muscle the whole night.

Solos were amazing, and they even covered Pirates of the Carribean theme which was hilarious and got the whole group going quite well actually.

Less spiritual, as Kamelot are, but once again the same united in metal feel. When the crowd sucks, the band will always focus on the group taking it seriously, our little circle may as well have been on stage with them.

The Encore was mind blowing. With only the drummer on stage. Backlights turn red, and the solid army beat for "March of Mephisto" as the other members slowly reappear. I dont even remeber what I said to the others. too many high fives, growls and "fuck yeah!"s to be caring any more.

Ive not had that much fun since one of the Dragonforce concerts I went to..... it was all age..... so the crowd was.... well horrid doesnt cover it. But me and my mate were front, centre, and littleraly had ZP Theart singing, gesturing, and relying on us to 'signal the crowd' by acting first when they tried for crowd participation.

That my friends, is a party. Fuck your drugs, alcohol, expensive nightclubs, and whatever else you get up to. When you can feel part of a united group much bigger than yourself. Listening to amazing music, having the entertainers directing their entire energy at your small group. Wow.

So whats next? To be honest, not a lot. No one else I'm a huge fan of is playing soon. :( I'll probably go see The Beards, just because they're absolutley hilarious. But I'll have to grow my beard out to be allowed in :P

Dragonforce keep touring at music festivals, which suck. They dont get the same small gig energy. Nightwish have been here recently (and i missed it!!!!!) and Sonata Arctica have too..... missed them also.

So.... How did you spend your tuesday night? lol.

Nice one M_S. I don't follow any musical style (well, I do have a number of old bagpipe and military band records) but found those interesting. I never bother lisening for words as I would forget them any way so only follow tonal variation.

The first lot were pretty damn good from my lappie so I'm sure the concert was an excellent experience for you. Brilliant male metal voice there and the female could definately hit the right range.

Second mob was decent as well but didn't get anywhere the same sort of response from me.

Good wishes for your pursuit of metal madness.

ED: bloody spelling.

Edited by Elfarch

If you like that sort of medieval metal melody\tone, you'll like nightwish. Imagine RockOpera, but metal instead :P

Basically anyone signed by Nuclear Blast Europe on youtube is worth a watch if you found those couple of samples to your liking :)

I'm looking forward to Fear Factory playing their Demanufacture album in its entirety early next month.

I just hope tickets don't sell out for Melbourne before I get paid Friday next week.

When its only a day or two, isnt that what things like Cash Advance from cashies is good for?

High interest hardly matters when its only like $3 total extra.

I'm not actually aware of either of those bands, but I will rectify that once Telstra hook us up teh Internetz at home.

My Tuesday night? A stroll through the streets of Zurich, dinner at a gourmet vegan restaurant with the most divine food, then a walk back to the hotel sharing some wonderful hand crafted dark Swiss chocolate as the sun set over the streets and waterways of Zurich. Given the time difference, however, your Tuesday night would have been my Tuesday morning :-)

All that aside, though, great to hear about your awesome concert experiences. A couple of weeks ago we were at Wave Gotik Treffen in Leipzig and we saw some amazing acts. It's fantastic when you get that wow-experience rather than just good, or great, innit? :-)

When its only a day or two, isnt that what things like Cash Advance from cashies is good for?

High interest hardly matters when its only like $3 total extra.

I don't even want to walk into a cashies, let alone 'loan' my things to them for money. :/

id prefer the 'walk of shame' as opposed to possibly missing a ticket :P

Elvenwhore, is that your sort of music too, from what you heard? (if you loaded them on what i assume is mobile :P)

Eluvietie is actually normally a fair bit heavier than that, thats just my favorite song :P

Kamelot is usually a little more dramatic than that, thats just a newer song I like that was well recieved at the gig.

For those who liked them:

Nightwish, Hammerfall, Epica, Sonata Arctica (a personal fav), dragonforce, Alestorm (pirate upbeat anyone?), Within Temptation (very popular for the easier listening side of their vocals).

and a lot more if you like that tyle I can recommend :)

Elvenwhore, is that your sort of music too, from what you heard? (if you loaded them on what i assume is mobile :P)

Eluvietie is actually normally a fair bit heavier than that, thats just my favorite song :P

Kamelot is usually a little more dramatic than that, thats just a newer song I like that was well recieved at the gig.

Yep, I hang around the symphonic metal/metal end of the spectrum (Nightwish, Tristania, In Strict Confidence, Rammstein, Machine Head) as well as the EBM/industrial end (FLA, VNV Nation, Edge of Dawn) :-)

edit: checked 'em out, loving it. Great (incidental) recommendations, MS, I'll definitely be looking into listening more.

Listening to amazing music, having the entertainers directing their entire energy at your small group. Wow.

How awesome is that? We just got back from Germany where we went to the Wave Gotik Treffen music festival... 4 days, I-don't-know-how-many venues, heaps of bands... this thing is massive. People, we just do not know how to do music festivals in Australia. There's a Supanova-sized venue just for the shopping stalls :-( Fucking amazing. And like you say, the sense of community when you're dancing and rocking out with others to awesome music, and having the performers feed off that is just incredible. Sooooo much fun :-)

WGT is going to be fucking hard to back up. Hanging onto the faint hope that NIN will come back to Australia after the new album hits :-p

Edited by elvenwhore

Nightwish, Hammerfall, Epica, Sonata Arctica (a personal fav), dragonforce, Alestorm (pirate upbeat anyone?), Within Temptation (very popular for the easier listening side of their vocals).

and a lot more if you like that tyle I can recommend :)

You have very 'girly' tastes in metal. :p

Saw you there, my friend and I were the redheads at the front to the right of the stage. Did you see Epica?

I missed Epica. something came up last minute.

So I must have been right next to you then? I was front right too. Next to some dude with a beard and some guy with glasses. I didnt know them, they ended up being hella fun though.

Eluveitie is pretty awesome!

If you like female metal vocals, In This Moment has a couple of cool songs.

I'm mostly into Aggrotech and black metal

Yeah it was down the front I saw you :) Didn't see all of the Epica show due to a bit of a fuck around trying to meet my very drunk partner on the way there, but it was, well, Epica. I was very impressed by how hard Simone rocked despite being very pregnant.

<3 aggrotech

This is the kind of stuff I was into when I was about 12-15, along with a bunch of other stuff like tool, korn, slipknot, ratm, deftones..

I'm only usually into much heavier stuff these days, but still enjoy some of the old stuff like nightwish, sonata arctica, WT etc.

Taste in metal is extremely specific, I don't like some bands just because of how their vocalist does his growls and screams etc.

Sounds like you had fun.

I went to deftones a few weeks ago, I love deftones but it was a shit gig.

shit venue (metro freo) shit crowd (way too many people, it was sold out, mostly 18 yo's) shit sound (the levels were completely off, sounded aweful)

I still had fun though.

Most shows don't even come to Perth though, so I will have to take what I can get.

Edited by p0is0n

unlucky poison.

As you say, taste in metal especially is VERY specific.

I dont go much heavier, because while growling is OK in moderate doses, screaming is never OK for more than one line.

Nothing, to my ears, can ever be pleasant about being screamed at.

Ironically, your 'young list' "tool, korn, slipknot, ratm, deftones" hate all of them, lol, spliknot with a passion!

Korn did a pretty sweet cover of Word Up, but thats about it for me :P

If I had to analyse myself and my tastes, I need:

- clear vocals

- powerful music (emotionally, or intrumentally, either is fine)

- Progressive melody

- Inspiring characters\stories

Music is like the one thing that can temporarily stop my mind (sounds emo, but meh).

Loud enough music lets me focus on nothing, but the lyrics and music at hand, at that time.

My metal is meant to make me feel strong. (with occasional jumps into feaux anger)

and happy-hardcore (my other vice) is meant to make me feel euphoric.

Any other of those shitty emotions I can rely on life to provide; lol.

Im actually looking forward to The Beards, for $20. should be a true laugh riot I think.

While on the general topic of metals, here's some favs of mine:

Mostly various forms of black metal, all of them sounding different from one another.

For anyone that feels game, just make sure you use the maximum quality available. :)

I like to think most of these are quite atmospheric or powerful in their own way.

To me, these are the luxury cars of music.

I am sure nobody else feels this way. :D

Edited by Ezkaton

I guess nobody else is interested in sharing some metals.

Shame... I'm always looking for new things to listen to.

Well Ezkaton, here's one that came up in my playlist last night that I'd forgotten I love:

Edited by pwarren

I'm already an SYL fan. :)

Edited by Ezkaton

M_S, I love this thread. It's exactly how I feel when I go to a metal gig, even if the crowd is shithouse, I still have no problems getting into it with a couple of friends close by. I love bands that just take you away to another place. Normally if I go to the pub I'll sink a heap of beers and eventually get blind, but if I go to a pub to see a metal gig, it's rare to find me at the bar. Music always comes first!

I'm in Hobart so I don't get much in the way of international gigs, mostly just check out the local stuff (which mind you, is quite good!) - at the moment I am heavily into this new(ish) "Djent" stuff, and off-beat/odd time signature core bands (not sure if they have their own genre). I love symphonic metal as well, haven't been listening to a lot lately as last year I gave it an absolute thrashing!

I did go and see Northlane last weekend:

Supported by a bunch of bands, including Save The Clocktower from Northern Tasmania!:

And if you're wondering what this "Djent" genre is all about, maybe check out TessaracT, one of my favourite bands at the moment. This song has a great chorus, beautiful vocals and writing.