Sign in to follow this  

So what's covincing you more so far?

33 members have voted

1. 1. Non-PC device 1 or non-PC device 2?

• PS4
    • XBONE

I honestly don't know anyone that actually bought or used their ps3 for the otheros features. Wasn't it also a case of just, not updating your firmware to keep using the functionality? Or building a computer? (that's darn crazy talk round ere). Afaik the backwards compatibility for the ps2 was removed to make the console cheaper, which when you have an $800-900 dollar console probably isn't a bad idea (more crazy talk of people not throwing away their old consoles). Some free games (items or a service) and a promise not to sue is usually par for the course when everyone else has their (inevitable) security breach.

Whether or not you and your buddies used it, Sony reduced the functionality of the product post-purchase.

Unlike Microsoft, Sony is smart enough to not come out now and say "Oh, and if any of these wonderful features are exploited (or just used in some way we don't like) at some point in the future, we'll just remove them rather than fix them." They'll happily wait until you've enjoyed your product for a year or two, and told all your friends about how great it is.

I can't believe people are stupid enough to blindly accept Sony's promises, given their horrendous track record for douchebaggery.

Fuck, at least Microsoft is being honest and upfront about how they're crippling their product.

And in the interest of turn about is fair play... Microsoft is just saying what people don't want to hear. Keeping the fanbois sucking their cock. ;)

That makes absolutely no sense.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm assuming you've got a very anti Sony bias from either early adoption, bleeding edge issues or some form Microsoft fanboism. I can sympathise with that one in ten thousand person who bought a ps3 to use another os on it, but if they were foolish enough to apply updates without reading them (or the more sensible idea of building a cheaper, better pc), my sympathy can only go so far.

And no, I'd expect Microsoft to actually do the 'smarter' thing. Start mass banning accounts (with little to no proof) to force people to buy an entirely new game collection (and get more money out of people) while they patch things a few weeks later to do only the things they think you should be able to do. Another reason for that stupid authentication, can't have you buying a physical copy early or having stuff arrive the day before from eb in the mail. You've gotta ban those accounts. Digressing, but I'll leave it there anyway.

A lot of people accept the crap they get from a lot of companies other then just Sony. They bitch and complain, but still arrive to buy the new product day one. Just look at something like the connectors on Apple products. It's sadly a part of day to day lives now and for a lot of them, it's just a fashion statement. You've only got to look at the number of people who have no idea how to play something like Battlefield or CoD but yet still buy every iteration each year. They're just buying it just to say they have it a lot of the time (or that they've just become indoctrinated to buying it each year).

I'm not sure of your issue with the last part. Are you unaware of the saying or just too angry to accept that there was a joke in there?

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm assuming you've got a very anti Sony bias from either early adoption, bleeding edge issues or some form Microsoft fanboism.

lol

I don't have a bias. Microsoft and Sony are equally terrible.

I can sympathise with that one in ten thousand person who bought a ps3 to use another os on it, but if they were foolish enough to apply updates without reading them (or the more sensible idea of building a cheaper, better pc), my sympathy can only go so far.

So are you saying that it's acceptable for a company to sell you something, and then later on say "You are now no longer allowed to do this thing with it"

Or you can reject updates, and lose the ability to play games that require certain updates, and not be able to go online with it.

You're giving Sony a free pass for something that would be equated to murder if some other side did it. Sony have a track record of contempt for their customers, but it's overlooked because they're not Microsoft. Sony forced you to convert your music to ATRAC to use their audio players, there was the whole rootkit fiasco, there was the removal of a feature (regardless of how minor you feel the feature to be) post purchase, suing George Hotz for reverse-engineering a device he owned, etc.

"Building a cheaper, better pc" ignores the point.

I'm not giving Microsoft any credit here, either, they're doing shitty things with their console for sure. I'm just not prepared to give Sony the benefit of the doubt, like so many are, for no other reason than because it's cool to hate Microsoft.

And no, I'd expect Microsoft to actually do the 'smarter' thing. Start mass banning accounts (with little to no proof) to force people to buy an entirely new game collection (and get more money out of people) while they patch things a few weeks later to do only the things they think you should be able to do.

Like Sony with OtherOS and third-party controllers? Like I say. They're both awful.

I'm not sure of your issue with the last part. Are you unaware of the saying or just too angry to accept that there was a joke in there?

If Microsoft wanted people to keep suckling at the teat, why would they say things people didn't want to hear? It doesn't make sense. Not funny. Sorry.

You say you don't have a bias, fair enough, but it definitely isn't coming across that way.

I "buy" software all the time that the developer may decide to do something else with, stop functionality in or halt my ability to use the product at all. I don't really see it as any different. I guess you could just go demand your money back when the product no longer functions as it says on the box. Though, I've unfortunately long since thrown my box away, I am mildly curious at this point if it did have other os functionality written on the box. If there is I'd be interested to know if it voided any warranty or support for the system. Again though, sidetracking. The developer decided later on down the track to stop supporting a feature, I really want to post a dealwithit gif. It's not uncommon. Update the rest of the system and move on. Play the games or use linux, nursing a grudge years later isn't going to change it and not having a grudge doesn't translate into a free pass. Actually I'm fairly certain I said at the start that the winning console would be from who committed suicide the least, but whatever.

I could point out that Sony never made me convert my music to their format, or installed drm on my computer but it would be beside the point. The only really difference with Apple these days is people just blindly click past an eula they never read to almost the same effect. I still have to change my music from a superior format to get it to play on one of their devices. I'm not happy with it, but I'll get over it and use what I have. I'm also not a legal expert, but I'd probably guess that reverse-engineering someone else's device is probably very close to jailbreaking and hence a very grey area depending on where you are.

I've never had an issue with a third party controller (through a lot of systems), outside perhaps madcatz being terrible at one point. I'm not sure what you're referencing there, care to elaborate? Though I do have an issue with a first party Microsoft controller on my pc drawing so much power it turns my keyboard and mouse off intermittently...

Microsoft can keep saying anything what they want and silly people will still keep buying their product and liking it. Be it the people who think gamerscores matter and they could never live without their cheevos that said they walked two feet and finished the tutorial to those that keep buying Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, any number of EA sports titles year on year and thinking them the height of innovation. They can largely tell the dudebros anything they like and expect them to accept it and like it. The games are irrelevant to them having a status symbol.

You say you don't have a bias, fair enough, but it definitely isn't coming across that way.

What I'm observing and commenting on is the anti-Microsoft diatribe, and blind faith in Sony that's present.

I couldn't comment on anti-Sony diatribe, or Microsoft-love, because it's not there to be commented on.

If I have any bias, it's away from both sides, and towards not buying either. You seem to have assumed from my previous posts that I prefer or support Microsoft's decisions, which is definitely not the case. That's a false dichotomy, one that's infected the Internet since the consoles were announced.

I "buy" software all the time that the developer may decide to do something else with, stop functionality in or halt my ability to use the product at all. I don't really see it as any different.

A PlayStation console is hardware too, though. Hardware that you own. Hardware whose functionality was changed post-purchase.

The developer decided later on down the track to stop supporting a feature, I really want to post a dealwithit gif. It's not uncommon. Update the rest of the system and move on. Play the games or use linux, nursing a grudge years later isn't going to change it and not having a grudge doesn't translate into a free pass. Actually I'm fairly certain I said at the start that the winning console would be from who committed suicide the least, but whatever.

I wouldn't say there's a "grudge". They did what they thought was the best response to the situation, and whatever, I didn't use the OtherOS function either, but I was mildly miffed when I was told I effectively had to choose between having that option, and being able to play new games and go online. Either way, it's on Sony's record, alongside all the other contemptuous shit they've done in the past.

I've never had an issue with a third party controller (through a lot of systems), outside perhaps madcatz being terrible at one point. I'm not sure what you're referencing there, care to elaborate? Though I do have an issue with a first party Microsoft controller on my pc drawing so much power it turns my keyboard and mouse off intermittently...

Patch 3.50 (maybe 3.55?) added a requirement that controllers needed to have a digital certificate from Sony embedded (or something along those lines) in order to work. So a whole bunch of cheaper USB controllers and PS2->PS3 adaptors suddenly stopped working for no reason.

I don't know why you brought up Apple either, as if to assume that I think they're any better than Sony or MS. None of the big tech companies are any good. They all sell you a product that you don't really own, to do a specific set of things with, in a predetermined way, that they can change at a whim.

Edited by SquallStrife

In all honesty. The Ouya is looking more and more awesome... O_o

I'm not really a console gamer. But if I had to choose?

Neither MS or Sony are coming out of this looking that great. They are relying on titles, not platform.

AD

Fair enough. I never came across the controller thing and I've got a lot of arcade of old ps2 arcade sticks I use lying around.

Apple was brought up to illustrate that all the big companies are the same in how they treat their consumers, it had nothing to do with your assumed position on Apple.

that sandboxy game with the dude that hack everything with his phone - I think it was called "The Guy with the Magic Mobile Phone"

Watch Dogs.

I am salivating over that game right now.

I must say I'm really surprised by the lack of enthusiasm in here.

I've seen some fucking EPIC game trailers, and I'm sure as hell jumping straight into the next console gen.

I think I'll probably get both even, but not at the same time. I'll play it by timing and launch lineup to pick which is first.

that sandboxy game with the dude that hack everything with his phone - I think it was called "The Guy with the Magic Mobile Phone"

Watch Dogs.

I am salivating over that game right now.

Yeah that trailer on the homepage is pretty tits.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I'll have both.

Plenty of other people will too.

Why must it be either or?

That's a question I ask my wife. She tells to to be happy it's not neither.

I only play my Xbox now, so I'll just get an Xbox One. I got a PS3 at launch but the only reason I have one now was because I got it free with my television.

'

This is very interesting , I am liking the possibilities of the PS4 controller.

I like "XBONE" because I read it as "X BONE" rather than "XB ONE". 'On the fence' poll option is choosing both or none.

Xbox 360 to me was always just: Sports games. Army games. 'MURICAH!

Now the X BONE is: Sports games. Army games. TV. 'MURICAH!

I play more sport than watching it, if you've played one Caller Doody game you've played them all and I don't watch TV. Oh and I live in Australia.

"Your PS4 won't stop working if you don't check in every 24 hours," he said, referencing the Xbox One, which requires a check-in once a day to ensure game authenticity."

I presume it is an automatic check not the user having to do something? So what happens if your network goes down for a day?

"Your PS4 won't stop working if you don't check in every 24 hours," he said, referencing the Xbox One, which requires a check-in once a day to ensure game authenticity."

I presume it is an automatic check not the user having to do something? So what happens if your network goes down for a day?

Then you'll have an extremely expensive modern-art paperweight.

-X

After xBONE did a backflip and changed the always online thing, im gonna put my vote in that.

Anyone else change their mind after micrsoft crumbled to pressure?

The only thing I have an issue with in relation to the XB1 is the fact that it requires Kinect. Giving MS the ability to essentially peer into your common living space doesn't sit well with me.

The always online thing, for me, is a non-issue, as long as some changes are made to it. My PC is always online, Steam/Origin always logged in, Facebook always logged in, etc.

If they do make a push for a full DRM-only model in the future, they need to make sure there is an offline feature, like Steam. There are circumstances where I (and many others) wouldn't have access to internet and/or 3/4G to "check in", like for example if I take my console away with me on a family trip to the shack out in some obscure location that doesn't have mobile data coverage. They need to think of these things.

They have done the right thing in going back on their original ideas for now, I don't think the typical console gamer is quite ready for full DRM yet. I like the DRM model overall, and would love to see it eventuate within the console market, but I don't think now is the right time. MS were only shooting themselves in the foot.

As for what I'll be buying, I'll buy both, play both for a few months, and then they'll go back to collecting dust just like every console I've ever owned post-N64.

The only thing I have an issue with in relation to the XB1 is the fact that it requires Kinect. Giving MS the ability to essentially peer into your common living space doesn't sit well with me.

The always online thing, for me, is a non-issue, as long as some changes are made to it. My PC is always online, Steam/Origin always logged in, Facebook always logged in, etc.

If they do make a push for a full DRM-only model in the future, they need to make sure there is an offline feature, like Steam. There are circumstances where I (and many others) wouldn't have access to internet and/or 3/4G to "check in", like for example if I take my console away with me on a family trip to the shack out in some obscure location that doesn't have mobile data coverage. They need to think of these things.

They have done the right thing in going back on their original ideas for now, I don't think the typical console gamer is quite ready for full DRM yet. I like the DRM model overall, and would love to see it eventuate within the console market, but I don't think now is the right time. MS were only shooting themselves in the foot.

As for what I'll be buying, I'll buy both, play both for a few months, and then they'll go back to collecting dust just like every console I've ever owned post-N64.

TL;DR

Microsoft scrapped the always online thing

has anyone come across a decent side by side comparison of exclusives so far announced?

has anyone come across a decent side by side comparison of exclusives so far announced?

There's exclusive on the xbone? (that isn't halo?)

Edited by PointZeroOne