Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Your thoughts on eReaders?

So I make no secret my eyes are shit-tastic.

I saw the new Kobo GLO and was pretty excited by the way the light didnt cause blurring to me, and I could up the font quite substantially.

Anyone have one and care to comment?

Some people suggested the Kindle Paperwhite, but not only is it more expensive, it doesnt suport ePub. Not all my books will be purchased. Some will be free... legally of course :P

Just wondering if these could really be my savior to the ability to read again.

I can't speak of the Kobo, and I can't speak of whether or not an eReader will help you, but I can give me thoughts.

I don't like them. That's my most current opinion. I have a original Kindle and an iPad 3. One of the big goals I had for the retina enabled iPad was to use it as a Reader and change from paper magazine subscriptions to electronic. I did that and I find now I just don't read the magazines I used to enjoy. I also read novels on the iPad but I prefer paper. Mainly because it's lighter and more manouverable.

The biggest plus for the iPad is I can read in bed with the lights out while the Wife is going to sleep and then sleeping. I flip the lid over to block of her side and there's only minimal light cast in the room, compared to a lamp for reading.

The biggest reason I've basically stopped reading magazines on the iPad (even my beloved F1 Racing) is that the screen is too small to effectively read the print without zooming every page. It's also harder to scan the page and see the images.

I also use the iPad to store my technical books on software development. At first this seemed ideal, as it meant I could take my reference set with me everywhere - as my iPad goes most every place I do. A year later and I've just bought my first paper textbook (Professional Sitecore Development) in over a year.

It may work for you. It hasn't for me, but my requirements are different.

Edited by kikz

I own the Kindle Paperwhite. In a word... amazing. I'm a big fan of owning physical copies of books but when I finally bit the bullet and bought the Kindle, I was very glad I did. The "back light" is excellent, even on the lowest setting it's easily readable in a dark room without spewing light into said room. I opted to go for the Paperwhite for that very reason. My iPad was just too heavy when laying down and even on the lowest settings, the screen brightness gave my wife the shits (light sleeper, like stupidly so). Battery life is awesome, goes for near on a month with me reading, on average, about 2 hours a day. The other obvious benefit is cheaper purchase prices on 99% of books.

It's my first eReader and I was hesitant at first, but if I had my time again I wouldn't change a thing. Having a back-lit one is worth the extra $ imo.

EDIT: TL:DR: Whether its the Kindle or another brand, I simply recommend getting on with a back light. Didn't address your concerns re ePub as I just purchase all my books.

Edited by val0r0x

Kikz; eReaders will never do color very well, so they'll never be too good for a magazine.

ipads\tablets are different beasts; backlit, not frontlit, very heavy, short battery, expensive. I own a couple of tablets. havent turned them on in a month or 2. useless things really.

Once the surface gets cheap, carrying around a full copy of Windows8 will be valuable. untill then, its just a giant phone IMO, lol.

They do tempt me; any other oppinions from everyone?

http://www.ht.com.au/part/AJ554-Kobo-eRead...lver/detail.hts

Edited by Master_Scythe

I don't read magazines for the pictures. I read them for the editorials. For me, colour reproduction is not important, and TBH I've never had a problem with it on the iPad3. I still use the iPad3 daily, including for reading blogs and what not. But as a replacement for a paper magazine? No.

I don't see the Win8 Pro as being valuable because you can carry around a full copy of Windows8. I don't think I've ever been walking around and thought "Goddamn, if only I had a full copy of windows8 handy right now". :)

Also, I'm not so quick to write off eReaders. I remember a while back when eReaders didn't even exist :p Never is such a strong and permanent word ;)

lol; i get the "damn if only" for a full copy of windows at least 5 times a day. Different lives for different people though. Not everyone is the type to stop every few meters and wifistumble. lol.

Only problem with magazines for me, is that very few publishers offer them in Large Font formats. a few womens interest ones I believe do, but, for example, Atomic (or PCTA) is a job for the magnifying head reader, and those arent a public wear accessory :P

I just think an ebook would do the trick.... hence oppinions :D

Master_Scythe - I can't recommend the Kindle Paperwhite enough. I have a Kindle 3, and I love it for reading. My sister has the Paperwhite, and the reading experience is the same except faster, with better contrast and of course the light makes a big difference.

I was similarly concerned about format support, but if you use Calibre ( http://calibre-ebook.com/ ) you can convert just about any eBook from format to format with very little effort. Then just drag the file into your Kindle and you're good.

As for Glo vs. Paperwhite - I haven't compared the hardware but for my purposes it's relevant that there's a Kindle app for EVERYTHING, and it all stays sync'd (WiFi permitting). Whether it's in a browser, or on my Surface (which I will be getting soon ... soooon my pretty...), or on my Kindle 3 I can just pick up from where I left off with zero hassles.

See, I love the earlier Kindles because they're *not* backlit. My first impressions were that it's much closer to a paper book than any other device, and that was a good thing; noticeably less strain on my eyes too.

For reading in bed with the lights out, it might be good to have that Paperwhite version; although for some people a dark room with a glowing screen that occasionally moves around can be just as annoying if not more as having a bedside light on.

To be honest, most of my 'reading' is redditting on my S3 in bed (and I'm not ashamed to admit, the WC; I really need to get out of that habit though!). It is of course backlit, but it's less obtrusive to my partner than a tablet.

In the last 6 months I was catching the train a bit and bought a couple of books via Google and read them on my S3, it was alright too. I could see how a Win8 tablet might be handy; one of the books was an introduction to XNA (monogame) and it might've been nice to potter around on VS, (intellisense could've kept me a bit productive).

Edited by Periander

periander, its not a backlight. Its a front light. In front of the paper, but behind the bezel. Its so incredibly different to an LCD, say.

I have the older Kobo touch and it is sitting here unused now because I just find the 6 inch screen to damn small. If I was to buy another ereader then it would be at least an 8" or prefferably a 10" screen.

As far as the epub thing goes then Calibre

http://calibre-ebook.com/about can convert from just about anything to anything.

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#w...version-to-from

There are also drm tools for calibre kicking around if the books DRM blocks conversion.

For fiction reading ereaders are boss. For PDFs not so much, though it's doable. I love the Kindle Keyboard because it's so darn hackable (and I could, before I stuffed it up, play text adventures), but I didn't really use many of the other hack capabilities (besides keyboard shortcuts) very often. Calibre can convert EPUB to MOBI (in bulk or one by one) if that's all that's holding you back, but in the brief look I had at the KOBO the quality of the screen was as good as the Kindle. When I replace my ereader I'm probably going to go with a Kobo myself, though I'd prefer a less blue / white LED for reading because I've come to believe it keeps me awake.

I could never justify the price, for the niche functions it offered. So I bought a 7" Android tablet. I don't find it's screen giving me eye strain, and it's easy enough to read without my glasses on - but my eyes have problems totally separate to your eyes.

FWIW, I mostly use Kindle as a reader. If a book is epub, I just convert it with calibre (tho' I have other readers installed that handle it natively). Nexus7 is noticably lighter than ipad3. Colour comics trump e-ink screens. I like paper, too, but I can't justify the next round of moving costs, and TBH, the current book I'm reading is >30x heavier than my ipad3, let alone my nexus7.

++1 on kikz issues with magazine reading. Fine on my desktop 27" screen, constantly zooming on 7 and 10" screens.

RIP Courier, etc.

Scythe, for your enjoyment:

Thanks for posting that, it was very informative. I think I want one now. :)

We have 2 Kobo Glo in da house.

1st one, spot on, out of the box.

2nd one, needed a spike up the arse to reset it and over the span of 4 or so months degraded to the point of not working. there may have been some interaction with a auto sleep hard cover but it's removal just put off for 2 weeks the eventual failure. we got a repalcement but not after the retailer palmed us off onto Kobo who did faf a bit (couple of weeks) but then sent a replacement.

other issues, when you 1st turn it on you need to plug it into a PC or WIFi and register it. the PC option will also require the download of the desktop App. this can be slow from the kobo servers. or if you go tot the australian web site and dwonload the app, (yes they call it an app) for pc or mac, you wil need to rename the file to include the .exe on the end. (that was lastnights fun)

biggest issue now is I have to should at my partner sometimes as they are engrosed in their books. even in bed. with no lights on. the fancy front lit screen is really fancy. you and your partner can decide if this is a feature or an issue.

except for the 1 lemon unit, the 1st and replacemetn unit are working fine. their charge lasts a long time and they handle their limited formats well. conveting formats is easy and epub's are super small compared to pdf.

Even my PC almost literate mother can handle choosing books and synching, if you intend to get one for some one else.

two kindles in da house they get used a lot espically during travel. One is a book worms and she will buy a kindle book if it is cheaper than paper.

Other kindle reader is interested in free stuff. I have never had the inclination to use an electronic reader I love fantasy and like holding a book.

Ipad 3 owned never used as an e-reader.

I bought the Kindle paperback white for the wife a few months ago. She kept using her phone for books, which was too small, and too bright when she read at night. The kindle was pretty good and comes with 3G so she can download books at anytime. Was only about $150, so no major complaints.

See, thats my dilemma, I like to read, but I cant due to font size, so that'll likely fix my issue.

However, despite saving money as I dont leave the house much, $150 is 3 weeks+ of food.

I always get this "I can just not read things, I'll live without it" sort of mindset, but then again, I might LIKE to read again.

Come on china, where are your knockoffs? lol

EDIT: one just shoped up on ebay... ill be watching that like a hawk.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I'm guessing you've already considered low-tech (and low-cost) alternatives like page magnifiers? Granted eReaders have a host of advantages above adjustable font size, but at 1/10th the price a page magnifier might be an adequate midpoint between ||not reading|| and ||ideal reading conditions||.

Just a 2c thought.

Yeah, ive tried. they dont work.

I have special angled LED lights behind my bed. and even then i get a dark spot where the page starts to meet the spine, making that section unreadable.

I need: 0% light in front of me.

100% light from behind me, on the book ONLY.

If any shines away from the book, it halo's out and blocks my vision to the pages.

Though now I have my ring out, maybe it'll halo less.

Yeah, ive tried. they dont work.

I have special angled LED lights behind my bed. and even then i get a dark spot where the page starts to meet the spine, making that section unreadable.

I need: 0% light in front of me.

100% light from behind me, on the book ONLY.

If any shines away from the book, it halo's out and blocks my vision to the pages.

Though now I have my ring out, maybe it'll halo less.

I've got an ebook reader sitting somewhere at home that the screen is fairly decent on.

May actually work well for you, ill try to find it when i get home and let you know which it is.

Where are you based? I might actually be able to lend it to you if you're close by.

its the front light thats actually important to try for me I think, as the lighting is just as if not more important than the font size.

I'm in Brisbane either way :)

Thanks for the offer, which one is it?

its the front light thats actually important to try for me I think, as the lighting is just as if not more important than the font size.

I'm in Brisbane either way :)

Thanks for the offer, which one is it?

Not sure which brand it was.

It has no back light to it so just like reading a book (Well sort of).

Brisbane... Well I've consulted a map and i believe that won't fit into my lunch break :)