Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
smakme7757

6x 250GB WD Velociraptors or 6x 500GB WD RE4?

At the moment I'm running quite literally a Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks - A real mixed bunch of drives I've thrown together in my Hyper-V server which has been working really quite well.

Although not unexpected I've had a drive get rejected from the RAID twice now (640GB WD Black) which is most likely due to poor/no RAID support.

So i figured it was time to completely swap out all of those old dieing disks for some new ones. SSD are out due to capacity constraints, but within my budget i can afford the following:

(RAID 10)

6x 500GB WD RE4 = 1500GB capacity

or

6x 250GB WD Velociraptors = 750GB capacity

Both come to the same price more or less (Raptors $20 more expensive)

Now the first big question is if anyone knows for sure that the VelociRaptor line supports RAID?

The 2nd big question is, which should i choose? Would the raptors make a big enough difference to outweigh 750GB less in storage capacity?

Again this will be used for virtual machines - Email, Blog, Fileserver, Domain controller etc... No heavy database stuff (I'd move that over to it's own SSD if that was the case)

I'm just wanting to make sure the purchase i make will be good for say 5 years or so, so i'm after the best bang for my buck!

im fairly sure wd black do support raid and work fairly well and its just the green drives that can have trouble but maybe im wrong

the up side to mixed drives is they are less likely to start failing at the same time

cant find just how the 250g raptors compare speed wise but if speed isnt such a problem i would go the re4

I'm confident the Velociraptor HDD work well with RAID and I doubt the Black ones do. You'll have to work out how much capacity you need. For a comparison of speed look at reviews

seems wd blacks are not as good for raid as they use to be but some say they still work ok in software raid if you prevent them from powering down in windows

RED drives for RAID.

Green had problems with head park.

Raptors are out IMO because heat management would be an issue if you stacked them.

I'm using green drives in my ZFS pool, but that works a little differently from standard RAID.

I agree with M_S that you might want to look at red drives over black/RE4 drives.

Red drives have most if not all of the important features that the RE4 drives have but are a little cheaper.

Red, in very lay terms, is an enterprise drive without the warranty.

ZFS seems to work on green drives, for one of 2 reasons:

1. newer green drives disabled the head park, due to errors.

2. something about a lot of ZFS configurations seems to not let green drives 'sleep' which is when they parked.

Green / Black have always sucked in a raid.

If you need the capacity go the RE4 if you need the raid to scream along with reduced capacity go the Raptors.

The difference you will get with the raptors will not be much over the RE4's though so my vote would be the RE4 just for the sake that the capacity will probably outweigh the difference in throughput / latency.

seems wd blacks are not as good for raid as they use to be but some say they still work ok in software raid if you prevent them from powering down in windows

After 2009 WD locked people out of the TLER settings making them unstable in RAID. They work in RAID, but you run the risk of having them get rejected if they don't return fast enough from a timeout.

RED drives for RAID.

Green had problems with head park.

Raptors are out IMO because heat management would be an issue if you stacked them.

I hadn't thought about the reds. It seems for $6 less per drive I can get the 1TB RED over the 500GB RE4, which would give me about 3000GB to work with which is a large chunk of space. However they run on the Intellipower stuff, so i think i might just go with the RE4s to be honest.

I don't know if heat would be an issue with the raptors as the drive cages have a fan blowing over them. But as Xen pointed out below i'd say the RE4s would give the best bang for the buck in GB/$ as well as guarentee and speed.

Green / Black have always sucked in a raid.

If you need the capacity go the RE4 if you need the raid to scream along with reduced capacity go the Raptors.

The difference you will get with the raptors will not be much over the RE4's though so my vote would be the RE4 just for the sake that the capacity will probably outweigh the difference in throughput / latency.

Yep, I'm thinking about going to RE4s now. The raptors will have the RE4s beat on access time, but I can keep my Windows 7 dev box on a standalone SSD which would solve that problem.

6xRE4 drives would give me 1500GB of data, 5 year warranty as well as pretty decent speed for my 10ish VM which would most likely grow. I'd say that's a better deal than 6x Velociraptors for 750GB of space.

After som more consideration i think i might go for one of these

Crucial M500 960GB

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp...e=CT960M500SSD1

I'll be able to afford it after the summer break, so that might be a nice place to keep all my less disk intensive VMs.

I just have to consider losing redundancy.

Edited by smakme7757

After som more consideration i think i might go for one of these

Crucial M500 960GB

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp...e=CT960M500SSD1

I'll be able to afford it after the summer break, so that might be a nice place to keep all my less disk intensive VMs.

I just have to consider losing redundancy.

Well this customer recommendation looks good...

I use this drive to store my files on. When I started my computer with my old 740 meg drive, I at least had time to go get my coffee and make breakfast.

With this new drive in my computer, Windows 95 boots up so fast that I bearly have time to go downstairs and make my coffee an get back again.

It's just too fast. I'm missing my breakfast these days now because of this inconvenience.

I hope to god the bold text is incorrect.