Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Splash1

GA-EX58-UD5 6GB upgrade to 12GB

Hi Guys,

Looking at memory upgrade options for 6GB to 12Gb. I currently have 6GB of Corsair Ram , this being Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D or (DDR3 6GB PC-12800/1600 (3x XMS3 2GB) Ram.

In staying with tradition, I am looking at upgrading to Corsair CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 12GB Kit Dominator GT DDR3.

Can anyone confirm any unwise decision and/or pitfalls I may encounter with my choice. The only one I'm aware of is that the Ram cooling fins can physically conflict with my Fan (as installed on my Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme) when using memory socket DDR3_2. But this I believe is avoided, as I am continuing use of triple memory channels. Therefore, DDR3_1 ; DDR3_3 ; DDR3_5 - AS PER MANUAL PAGE 16 -"Installing the memory". I am thereby, avoiding the use of memory socket DDR3_2 . So all good there !! So moving on.....

Although I haven't overclocked yet, I would like to have this as an option, so stability and reliability are of course important down the tract. Any thoughts there?

I know there are some users of the GA-EX58-UD5 who have upgraded to 12GB, and they use G.Skill DDR3-1600 CL9 12GB Kit. What are the pros and cons of G.Skill and other brands?

Looking forward to some feedback, and getting an order inn somewhere to complete my build...hehe. :)

Thanks in advance.

Current Build:

Intel Core i7-940 / 2.93GHz / 8MB Cache / LGA1366

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Intel Mainboard - 6x DDR3 / 10x Sata Raid / Dual Gigabit Lan / LGA 1366

Corsair DDR3 6GB PC-12800/1600 (3x XMS3 2GB) TR3X6G1600C8D Ram

Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme 1366 RT CPU Cooler

Lian Li PC-A20B Case

Corsair HX620W

Edited by Splash1

Guest xyzzy frobozz

You should be fine if you choose to continue with an un-overclocked CPU. If you start overclocking, it can be tricky or, if you're unlucky, impossible to get 12GB running at the rated speed of 2000 C9 at your desired CPU overclock.

I had 6GB of Dminator 2000 C8 and that required a bit of fiddling to run at the rated speed on X58. For reference, I had mine running at 4GHz. I'd wager that it would be pretty difficult to run your CPU at 4GHz and full speed on the memory, but you won't know until you try, and you mightn't want to run your CPU that hard.

Good luck with it!

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

My girlfriends machine is an x58a-ud7 and I've had issues over the years with 12GB not working properly, 2x 6GB 2000 kits. Works fine most of the time, every now and then just stops working though.

I had put this down to the Xeon CPU being fussy about the memory, but I've read a lot of similar issues online in brief searches.

Basically, as xyzzy has said, don't be surprised if you can't get 6x2GB 2000 working. If your RAM uses 1.6-1.65v then you may also need to increase the QPI voltage significantly (from what I've read online and tested myself) as high as 1.48v.

Although I haven't attempted an overclock yet, that's my intention soon after build.

So what kind of clock speed might I be able to get too, and what other brands or options could I try?

If I stated that I would be happy with a clock speed of around 3.8Ghz, does that make overclocking more likely of success with this brand, or others?

Umm..Any further comments and/or links you could give me on this topic?

Thanks so far for advice

Guest xyzzy frobozz

If I stated that I would be happy with a clock speed of around 3.8Ghz, does that make overclocking more likely of success with this brand, or others?

Any further comments and/or links you could give me on this topic?

It's not the RAM that is a concern. Your RAM is essentially guaranteed to work at it's rated clocks by the RAM manufacturer (Corsair).

But!

Will your Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) be able to hack it? The IMC is a component of the CPU die itself. Some are better than others. Will it work at 12GB and C9?

The short answer to that question is.... probably. The IMC is like any other piece of overclocked silicon. A Bloomfield i7 940 is only rated by the manufacturer to run at 1066MHz. The reality is that it can be overclocked, but to what extent is going to be a process of trial and error.

First things first - you're approaching your overclocking from the memory side of things. To be blunt, this is pretty much what most overclockers would consider to be arse about. Most people approach things by getting the maximum CPU overclock available, within comfortable thermal and power boundaries, and then crank their memory. Notwithstanding that, in your situation and given what you already have, what I would do would be to leave the processor at stock, and see whether you can get the memory running at it's rated speed. If so, from there you can gradually start cranking your CPU clocks until you hit instability. It will be a fun introduction to the world of overclocking!

Just be aware that memory speeds are mostly pretty academic on Nehalem beyond 1333MHz and certainly 1666MHz, so if is going to be a trade-off between memory or CPU overclock beyond that, I'd definitely go with what you can get out of the CPU. That said, the drop from 4.0GHz to 3.8 is only 5%, so you'll never notice the difference. Most 940's will sit pretty comfortably at around 3.8GHz, but once you push them to 4.0, you start to require a significant amount of voltage, which in turn generates heat. Your mileage may vary.

So, to your question, will your system run at 3.8 and 2000MHz C9? Well, it depends on a lot of things, not least will be the quality of your CPU and motherboard. With 12GB, to be completely honest, I doubt it. But you might get lucky and it certainly isn't unheard of.

That's a very rough guide. I'm pretty new to OCing myself with only 4 builds over four years. But I'm proud to say that they were all stable...... eventually! There are some really talented people here like Dasa who will probably be able to give you some more information.

Check out this link - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overcl...-i7,2268-5.html for a bit of a primer and remember - Google is your friend! Trust the published Anandtech and Tom's Hardware articles (as opposed to the forums), and you should be right.

Good luck!

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Question: Why have you decided that you need to upgrade your RAM, in terms of size?

I know there are some users of the GA-EX58-UD5 who have upgraded to 12GB, and they use G.Skill DDR3-1600 CL9 12GB Kit. What are the pros and cons of G.Skill and other brands?

See my sig :)

AFAIK, RAM is RAM. Sure you might get better binnings from one manufacturer to another or in different brand lines, but at the end of the day, if it works, and runs at the speed and timings you want, it's all the same.

I'm running my kit using XMP and I've never had a problem with it. Albeit that I'm actually running them at 1500Mhz due to the OC on the CPU.

Also, I actually have 2x6GB kits, but it's more-or-less the same.

Edited by Electr0

Trying to make all this knowledge compute again, and just on that note if I remember correctly, Atomic actually published an article on the facts of RAM around the time I was doing my 1st build in 09.

Thanks for posts and links above, but I really need to read over a few times to process....lol

Feeling a bit more hopeful reading this thread

Relates to the 6GB of RAM I currently use, and putting this together with the above, I may be wise to experiment with the somewhat cheaper Corsair 12GB (3x4GB) Dominator DDR3 Ram - "CMP12GX3M3A1600C9". This way I'll wear what ever works best

Edited by Splash1