Sign in to follow this  
pumpjockey02

Programming advice for newbie.

Another good resource is python.org itself, ie http://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/edu-sig/ has resources for education.

/edit

Oh and for getting started with 3D programming check out nehe's site. While the main examples are in C there are links to ports of the presented code to other languages at the bottom of each tutorial, including Python and PyGame.

Edited by SledgY

I'd scratch VB unless you think the more basic (harhar) syntax would help make it easier to learn. Other than the Syntax, Visual Basic is near identical to C#, and underneath they're both CIL.

So I have reviewed my list.

1.Python,

2. C

3. JAvA

4. C#

5. Perl

6. Pascal

7. C++

8. Javascript

9. Ruby

10. Bash

11. Dart

Visual Basic been carted.

Thanks Kikz.

I'm looking at moving into more linux based sys admin work and have been learning python and PERL as a result, probably the 2 most useful languages for me.

I already know a bit of C++ and Java, once you get you're head around one of them, the rest fall into place pretty easily, as the syntax is not as important as the patterns and concepts you will learn.

You can write something one way, look at it tomorrow and reduce the amount of code by half just because you thought of a better way to do something, at least that happens to me a lot :)

Edited by p0is0n

Started looking into python and it looks good. I have been using that computer lesson link kizz and that would be good for kids as well.

Thanks a lot. Any book recommendations for python.

I love how the code is named after monty python.

One of my favourite acts.

Started looking into python and it looks good. I have been using that computer lesson link kizz and that would be good for kids as well.

Thanks a lot. Any book recommendations for python.

I love how the code is named after monty python.

One of my favourite acts.

This might be useful for what you're doing:

http://nostarch.com/pythonforkids

I'm yet to find a book on Python that I'd recommend.

LearnPythonTheHardWay is quite good. i never got around to finishing it.

If you need something to practise on, my friend/"boss" nicholas has some useful stuff on python/autopilot on his blog theorangenotebook.com

Many launchpad projects have easy to work with code that is very useful for learning. just try to stick with cli only stuff as GTK is a mindf***

LearnPythonTheHardWay is quite good. i never got around to finishing it.

If you need something to practise on, my friend/"boss" nicholas has some useful stuff on python/autopilot on his blog theorangenotebook.com

Many launchpad projects have easy to work with code that is very useful for learning. just try to stick with cli only stuff as GTK is a mindf***

Found a stack of good books from uni on python, more for javascript and java though.

Looks like a solved my project for 2014 too, going to get a hold of one of those rasberry pi computers to muck around with and devise some lessons for 2014.

All looking good for the python code.

Start tommorow.

Also keep a look out for local user groups, SyPy (Sydney Python) for example has regular meetup's.