Sign in to follow this  
elfalot

upgrade 470 gtx to a 780 gtx on i7 940 system

Hi was going to upgrade replace entire system but not too keen on the cost.

Currently:

Core i7 940 slight over clock

Gigabyte GA-x58a-ud3r

6 gig ram 3x2g corsair

Tx850 corsair psu

OCZ 180g ssd

2tb wd

And the gtx 470

Did have a second 470 in sli but it died a year ago

I figure the Psu would cope

I was wondering if the current system was too much of a bottle neck for a 780

My current monitor is only 1980x1200 24" but I have been thinking of replacing it lately

Initially I was going to go with the high end system recommended in the parts guide thread but while I would love to play

Games like the new tomb raider maybe crysis 3 and a few other of the newer titles I was hoping I could avoid a complete overhaul especially since the new intel chips and mbs only came out this last month or so

Apologies if this post is a bit rough, done on my iPhone

overclock your cpu a bit more and it should run fairly well with a new gpu in most games you wouldnt even notice the difference there is a few that upgrading the cpu could make a fair difference to though

im not sure how noticeable it would be in crysis 3

overclock your cpu a bit more and it should run fairly well with a new gpu in most games you wouldnt even notice the difference there is a few that upgrading the cpu could make a fair difference to though

im not sure how noticeable it would be in crysis 3

Crysis 3 is actually very tolerant of the cpu used, as long as its high frequency. My bro can run it on his Athlon 64 x2 6000+ @ 3.2ghz/radeon 5770 on medium 1080p no aa/ansi at a constant 28-43fps, depending on which level your playing, id say a 940+gtx470 would be fine for medium, high and above settings dont scale very well sadly

Well In that case, it seems like I might go for it.

A question tho, was thinking about getting a Gigabyte card as it has 3yr warranty but is about $829, whereas brands like zotac are about $729 but only 2yr warranty. When it comes down to it are their ,and any other brands you might recommend or warn me about, quality and performance about the same, with warranty being mostly about personal preference (my 2nd 470 died just over the 2yr mark - just out of warranty and probably due to F@h, which I haven't done for a while and probably wont be doing anytime soon)

Also great parts guide Dasa

Well over time there will probably be a few games that will start to utilize it more, but like I mentioned I've thought about replacing my monitor for quite a while now.

I guess another option would be to go for a 680 for the time being. Would a 680 be any good for running at 1440 or would it not be up to it (especially with AA/AS ect on)

After a quick browse the DELL U2713 (27" 1440) seems to be highly recommended, but at $769 at MWAVE or from $799 DELL make me think twice about it.

Is there a one that comes close for a bit less, and how often does DELL have the 15%-30% off deals because it would be almost certain I'd buy it.

I also saw mention of 120Hz screens needing GPU's with grunt to get enough frames to make things appear smooth. So I could go either way really, smoother play or higher res.

(Should I move the monitor questions to a new thread in the right section?)

Edited by elfalot

if you wanted to save some cash 7950 $300 or $7970 $400 would be the way to go they perform about the same as gtx680 or better at res above 1080p

gtx780 is a nice card but its not cheap

7950 is good value and at that you could upgrade to another $300-400 card in 12 months and end up something faster than the gtx780 for the same outlay

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/r795wf...27.html?sort=2a

this one boosts up to 1000mhz and has a quiet hsf making it much better than any 7950 you will see in reviews

Edited by Dasa

2 questions on going for a ATi card:

Are drivers and such going well.

And is cross fire on par with SLi, performance and game compatibility wise

And I suppose the only other thing to consider (personally) would be Physx, I know there are few games (and benefits in game) are small but sometimes makes for great eye candy. Just wish they would get on with a non card specific solution for that.

My last 3-4 card have been NV so I'm a little hesitant to change, and not had much interaction with ATI cards in a long time.

Otherwise that sounds like a great card to go for Dasa and if the Drivers and CF are good then its almost a done deal.

Not sure about the card you link to, but pretty sure this is the same card with 3 games (Crysis 3, Bio Shock: Infinite & FC3 Blood Dragon) at Mwave for a little more

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku-aa7841..._3gb_video_card

Edit: After a quick look I might go for the system rebuild after all (If Drivers/SLi are good) since the 7950 is almost half price & if I keep my current case the build is almost $1K cheaper. (Approx. $2600 down to $1600).

Just wish I knew if there going to be any more sales/deals on either PCCaseGear or Mwave.

Edited by elfalot

crossfire has some bad microstutter that nviida has largely fixed in the last few years but there is a workaround for amd that i use to use for nvidia as well and thats limiting the fps

amd is supposed to be working on a better fix but they are taking there time

driver support for games is much the same sometimes it takes longer than we would like for both ~9 months to get sli working well

cant say i care for physx other than a flowing fog and some extra debris in most games i havent seen it do anything a cpu cant

that should be available from other stores aswell they just may not advertise it doesnt take much to ask though