retiredfromlife

Silverstone TJ11 Video Card Question

I am thinking of moving my latest build off my Lian Li T60 test bed into a case. One of the cases I am considering is the Silverstone TJ11, I just like the look of it and it has plenty of external drive bays that I always use.

My main concern is that I will be using just air-cooled parts and are not sure if the majority of video cards will work hanging upside down as half the heat pipes would be running up hill.

Not a good idea for heat pipes. Most of the video cards I buy are the overclocked ones with three fans, typically gigabyte.

Would any of these cards work in the vertical position?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Orientation of heatpipes has only a minimal effect on cooling performance, as they are a closed loop system there will always be liquid and gas flowing in them.

You might see slightly better performance with a GPU that has a blower exhaust, such that it exhausts all air outside the case, but again I think the impact would be minimal. Reviews and data for the case may have the appropriate figures you're interested in.

The TJ11 will be just fine, in fact it will be overkill. Heaps of airflow in that bad boy. Pricy too!

Honestly you're not using a case like that to its fullest if you choose not to use custom watercooling. It's basically the TJ07 evolved, and the best use for that case was fitting a 360mm radiator in the bottom with pump and six fans for a gaming beast.

as the frunj said, it will be fine.

you should probably list your hardware, if you are planning on asking if your hardware would be compatible with a specific case. but that fact it's a tj11 means it will be fine. air penetrators are some of the best case fans, and as we all know hot air rises, so exhausting our the top sounds logical to me. the PSU/HDD section is also seperate at the bottom, so the heat from those parts shouldn't radiate into the main section and increase temps there.

I have the Fortress 02 case with a GTX570. Doesn't seem to get hot. I will occasionally bump the centre 180mm fan underneath the GPU up to high which blows a massive torrent of air through the card and out the top of the case.

And I've just discovered the Fortress 04 exists which is a (slightly) more standard upside down design, with two 180mms on the front

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=23868

Would be great if you wanted to spend a lot less money

My main concern is that I will be using just air-cooled parts and are not sure if the majority of video cards will work hanging upside down as half the heat pipes would be running up hill.

Cheers

some respondents have talked about Liquid cooling, but you only mention air, is this the case?

only cooling that uses fancy vapour technology is anythign but a tube of copper that transmits heat by conduction. Conduction works via "delta T*" and conductive properties of the material. Copper and Alluminium are tops for this and is why it is used in most air cooling solutions.

TheFrunj is also corrct for closed loop liquid cooling.

*this is where you get heat moving to where it is not hot. the rate of movement is directly related to the temporature difference. Delta should be shown as a Triangle and it's ye olde symbol for "difference in".

Thanks for the replies,

The hardware that I currently have is

Sandy Bridge 2500K

MSI Z68A-GD65 Mobo

Corsair 8gig ram

Corsair 750 gold PSU

Gigabyte 650 Graphics (to be upgraded soon)

Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU cooler

All sitting on a Lian Li T60 test bed.

One reason I am looking at the TJ11 is that this PC will eventually sit in the loungeroom and the little lady does not want a big square box there. I am still looking for a TJ07 but it looks like they are obsolete now.

Silverstone is bringing out a case TF04 that is similar to the old TJ07 but it is no longer fully aluminium, (probably does not mater but would have been better)

At least I am in no rush so I have plenty of time to decide or wait if necessary for a better case to become available.

Cheers MarkL

I definitely +1 the Silverstone Fortress FT04, even though it isn't rotated 90 degrees, the performance should be great with two 180mm fans included. Not sure if there's going to be a windowless version but that would be more suited to a lounge. Definitely recommend this one if you're planning on upgrading your graphics card and want the best air cooling, your noctua heatsink is well suited to this setup.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=397

See Anandtech's review of the very similar Raven RV04 for an idea of cooling performance:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7084/silvers...4-case-review/5

I've recently purchased the TJ-08 which comes with one of those 180mm fans, and on the 'low' setting it's certainly quiet and spins at roughly 600rpm. It's not silent, mind, but it's pretty great for the volume of air it moves.

You can't really get one of the home theatre style cases, since you have such a large CPU heatsink, but if you were to buy a new heatsink then you could look into a case like this:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=20105

I definitely +1 the Silverstone Fortress FT04, even though it isn't rotated 90 degrees, the performance should be great with two 180mm fans included. Not sure if there's going to be a windowless version but that would be more suited to a lounge. Definitely recommend this one if you're planning on upgrading your graphics card and want the best air cooling, your noctua heatsink is well suited to this setup.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=397

See Anandtech's review of the very similar Raven RV04 for an idea of cooling performance:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7084/silvers...4-case-review/5

I've recently purchased the TJ-08 which comes with one of those 180mm fans, and on the 'low' setting it's certainly quiet and spins at roughly 600rpm. It's not silent, mind, but it's pretty great for the volume of air it moves.

You can't really get one of the home theatre style cases, since you have such a large CPU heatsink, but if you were to buy a new heatsink then you could look into a case like this:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=20105

Thanks for the suggestions, some nice cases mentioned.

However I have just been watching some youtube clips of the new Lian Li cases shown at CES 2013. they have finally released some new designs that I am interested in. The D600, D7000 and the revamped 2130 among other really looked good.

The v850 with all those side fans look interesting, but unless you can take the doors off they would get in the way working on the PC on it's side.

They seem to be added 5 1/4 external bays while other case makers are dropping them.

Lian Li also have a good contender for opposition for the "Silverstone Grandia GD08 HTPC" linked to above. Normally I am a full tower person as I use a lot of external bays in my PC's for fan controllers, hot swap bays sound card boxes etc. But these new HTPC cases are starting to make strong contenders for purchases.

Looks like this rig will stay on the Lian Li test bed a little longer till I see more on these new Lian Li cases as I am in no rush and want th ebest case for my needs and the TJ11 looks off the list for now.

Regards MarkL

However I have just been watching some youtube clips of the new Lian Li cases shown at CES 2013. they have finally released some new designs that I am interested in. The D600, D7000 and the revamped 2130 among other really looked good.

The v850 with all those side fans look interesting, but unless you can take the doors off they would get in the way working on the PC on it's side.

They seem to be added 5 1/4 external bays while other case makers are dropping them.

Lian Li also have a good contender for opposition for the "Silverstone Grandia GD08 HTPC" linked to above. Normally I am a full tower person as I use a lot of external bays in my PC's for fan controllers, hot swap bays sound card boxes etc. But these new HTPC cases are starting to make strong contenders for purchases.

Looks like this rig will stay on the Lian Li test bed a little longer till I see more on these new Lian Li cases as I am in no rush and want th ebest case for my needs and the TJ11 looks off the list for now.

Regards MarkL

Sweet, I'm going to check those out. Lian Li have been stagnant for years which has been a shame.