Sign in to follow this  
val0r0x

Anime

So lately I've been finding myself more and more interested in Anime. I guess it's always something that's interested me but I've just never really given it a go. Until now!

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some fairly "accessible" titles for me, to kick things off with?

Neon Genesis Evangelion?

It starts out feeling kind of monster-of-the-week, but blows up into something magnificent, and there's only 26 episodes.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is my personal favourite of all time. You've got the original series as Squall mentioned, as well a bunch of movies (inc the remake of the show into 4 features of which the first two are out).

You should also try Full Metal Alchemist, Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop, Elfin Lied (only 10 eps / very cool) along with the two Ghost In The Shell Films (as well as the series GitS Stand Alone Complex). You also have Bleach and Naturo (sp?) but those have been going forever with a ton of episodes.

I'm sure more recommendations will be incoming below...

I'm not that big on anime, but these should be first....

Ghost in the Shell. All movies, all series are awesome.

Great Teacher Onizuka

Samurai Champloo

Urda

Darker Than Black is worth a look too

Edited by komuso

Full metal alchemist brotherhood

Shiki

Ghost in the shell (the movie)

Cowboy BBop

Trigun

Fairytail

Depends what sort of stuff are you looking for? like action comedy mech thriller ?

Also you will find that if you can get anime subbed it is a lot better than dubbed (Imo anyway)

Edited by Spriggan

Akira, Ninja Scroll and Street Fighter The Animated Movie are the only good anime movies ever made, so there's not much to it. Grab those and you're pretty much done.

The Ninja Scroll movie is great, but the series sucked. Same with Cowboy Bebop, though the series was kinda watchable.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is my personal favourite of all time. You've got the original series as Squall mentioned, as well a bunch of movies (inc the remake of the show into 4 features of which the first two are out).

You should also try Full Metal Alchemist, Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop, Elfin Lied (only 10 eps / very cool) along with the two Ghost In The Shell Films (as well as the series GitS Stand Alone Complex). You also have Bleach and Naturo (sp?) but those have been going forever with a ton of episodes.

I'm sure more recommendations will be incoming below...

NGE is absolutely brilliant, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's just getting into anime. Its symbolism is often nigh impenetrable, its entire cast are massively emotionally scarred, and it probably works better as a deconstruction of the mecha genre than anything. Watching it without having developed a taste for anime would be like someone just getting into films watching 2001: A Space Odyssey or Rashomon; brilliant works and absolute classics, but not exactly accessible.

Likewise Madoka Magicka is a must see, but wait until you've gotten a bit more comfortable with anime first.

It's worth noting that 'anime' has various genres, just like live action TV. Do you like Comedy, Drama, SciFi, Mecha (technically a subgenre of SciFi but popular enough to count on it's own), Thriller, etc?

Here's the Anime I would recommend, but remember that this is all personal opinion:

Fantasy:

- Porco Rosso. My personal favourite Myazaki/Studio Ghibli film. It's kid friendly, but I wouldn't call it a 'kids film'; it stands perfectly well when shown to adults.

- Other Studio Ghibli films. In particular, Laputa Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, and Sprited Away are probably the most accessible of them, but they're all good (well, Nausicaa is a bit controversial).

- Full Metal Alchemist (and the remake FMA Brotherhood). The remake follows the manga more closely (as they were only half way through the manga when they made the original) and is probably the better series, but the original takes it's time more early on in the series and may be more accessible.

- Hellsing. Vampires done right. The OVA (basically a remake) is better, but they're still making it and releases are infrequent.

- The Melancholy of Haruri Suzamiya. Note that whether this is accessible or not depends on the order you watch it in. If you watch the episodes in chronological order, everything makes perfect sense and it's easy to follow. A bit weird, but straightforward enough. However, it was originally broadcast in a different order. This order is probably more enjoyable if you don't mind having no clue about what is going on. More of a high-school show / drama than the above suggestions.

SciFi (non-Mecha):

- Cowboy Bebop. Don't listen to komuso, the series is absolutely brilliant (and the movie is pretty much just a longer episode). Wonderful soundtrack, too. This is one of the best 'gateway drug' shows; it will get you hooked.

- Ghost in the Shell. The first movie is the best of them, but the series (Stand Alone Complex) is very well put together too. It does get a bit philosophical at times, though, so be aware that you will see cyborgs trying to reconcile the nature of humanity.

- [Edit]: Akira. How could I forget that. Absolute classic.

Mecha:

- Full Metal Panic. Also part high-school drama-romance-comedy (seriously, that's pretty much a genre in and of itself with anime). A child soldier/mech pilot with essentially no social skills is assigned as an undercover body guard to a high school girl. The spin-off season FMP: Fumoffu is hilarious (picture a building full of yakuza being taken out by people in teddy-bear shaped power armour - that's one of the more normal episodes).

- Code Geass. Somewhat more straight-up Mecha than FMP.

Thriller:

- Deathnote.

Action:

- Black Lagoon.

Comedy:

- History's Greatest Disciple Kenichi [also known as Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple]. Could also be considered an action show, or a high-school show, but it's really a comedy at heart.

Samurai:

- Ninja Scroll. The movie is brilliant; the series, while enjoyable enough in it's own right, does not live up to the movie.

- Ruroni Kenshin [also known as Samurai X]. A bit more kiddish then most of these suggestions, it's still a good show (particularly for late at night when you just want something that you don't need to think about). The movie, on the other hand, has more satisfying drama and some interesting themes. Still not what I'd call brain-on, but fun enough.

- Afro Samurai. The plot and writing aren't great, but the action scenes are well done. Definitely another brain-off show, but enjoyable if you accept it for what it is.

[Edit]:

Drama:

- Grave of the fireflies. Made by Studio Ghibli but not directed by Myazaki, this is very different in tone to the other Ghibli films I've recommended. It's about two children made orphans by the firebombing of Tokyo and their struggle to survive in the final months of WWII. It's a beautiful film, but harrowingly sad. Just make sure you have some tissues handy when watching it. Interestingly, it's a response to the same social phenomena that inspired Akira and Battle Royale (BR is a live action film, rather than anime, but well worth a watch); Japanese youth no longer respecting their elders.

Edited by DaCraw

I've got Hellsing sitting here waiting to be watched. Meant to be pretty good.

I watched all of Death note and thought it was pretty stupid.

I have to say it again Ghost in a shell is just awesome. There is a new series going live now called ARISE which you can find now if you look hard enough. The original Ghost in a shell is pretty much a staple for anyone interested in Film and TV at all. The Matrix movies had little tributes everywhere and the soundtrack is fanastic. Yoko Kanno does the series music and anything that girl touches gets turned into gold the Ghost in a shell series soundtracks are off the hook.

Also worth checking out is Macross Plus Its very good once again fantastic music there is a track in there that sends tingles up my spine every time i hear it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is something you should watch once you seen a few things the series is good but Life and Death are just Sad and beautiful the Re boots are very cool too 1.1 2.2 3.3.

Samurai Champloo Complete is awesome its funky as hell has a neat story line awesome soundtrack and cool character development.

TriGun is very funky too cool old school animation futuristic western

Fullmetal Alchemist is alright I think its kinda childish sometimes but its got an interesting story make sure you watch the original series 1st before going onto brother hood or the movie but its well worth the watch.

Cowboy Bebop is cool as well its a little slow but Yoko Kanno and the seatbelts do the music for it and I can forgive its short comings due to that.

Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade cant say much but its an awesome thriller movie.

Check out the Studio Glibli movies everyone can love those films

Sword of the Stranger is recent but it goes back to some older animation cool story fantastic soundtrack ( I think it was nominated for an academy award?)

Do not watch Code Geass or Death note you'll ask people and they will tell you about that its fucking horrible and weboos like that shit.

If you lived in brisbane I'd give it all too you but go find it and have fun.

Ive watched ALMOST all the above (and will take Mudg3 up on that anime dump some time :P) and better than all that, IMO was Solty Rei.

Only one thing I'd rate above that, and its a move. Paprika

I just remembered ; Castle Of Cagliostro. Pretty old now but one of my favourite anime movies. Must have watched it back in the mid 90's. It's still awesome.

And +1 to Fist Of The North Star if only for watching the heads of the heroes enemy swell up and explode when he punches them in the face!

Was going to suggest Samurai Champloo, regarded by some as the best anime ever made.

I'd suggest Samurai Jack, for sheer artistry.

+1 to Akira, I think it was the first full length feature anime movie, plus regarded as a classic.

+1 also to the Ghost in the Shell set.

A mate has strongly suggested Dante's Inferno, which I have in disk, but haven't watched yet.

Having seen most of the things Mudg3 recommends I have to say that he is pretty spot on, the only series not on his list that I would add are Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei (I like Yoshitoshi ABe's style)

For the movies decent bets are Ghost in the Shell (series is good too), Akira and the Patlabor movies.

Macross Plus is also a personal favourite, although as Mudg3 said anything with Yoko Kanno will have decent music.

Oh and a little gem I found - Voices of a Distant Star is a great short film

A lot of good suggestions so far, but mostly from the 90s-00s, did anime start to get shit recently? I watched most of what's been suggested in my youth.

One thing I will say, never watch in english, it just isn't the same.

Heres some stuff I didn't see mentioned. Just google them if you want to know more, i tend to suck at describing stuff.

- FLCL

Just watch it. Only a few episodes, 6 I think.

- DMC

A kind hearted pussy who loves pop music finds himself lead singer of the biggest metal band in japan because he needs the money, but hates the music. It's funny and vulgar and I enjoyed it.

Like most anime, only a few short episodes. Fortunately the Japanese usually know how much is enough and don't drag things on for as many seasons as they can.

- Ergo Proxy

Humans have created androids to help them but a virus begins to make the robots self aware and murders begin to occur.

- Soul Eater

A school run by the grim reaper, for people who wield special weapons to collect souls which have become evil. Very simplified description, kind of light hearted, but I liked it.

- Baccano!

Very original anime, set in the US in the 1930s during prohibition, focuses on various people and their points of view.

- Berserk

Another classic from the 90s. Medieval.

Here is a few others already recommended I think, but that I also will give my +1 to, and some others that I think are good.

- Cowboy Beebop

- Claymore

- Gantz

- Ruroni Kenshin

- Samurai Champloo

- Afro Samurai

- Code Geass

- Black Lagoon

- GTO

- Hellsing

- Evangelion

- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

- Love Hina

- Blood +

- Serial Experiments Lain

- XXXHOLiC

If you like 'fan service'

- Ikki Tousen

- Golden Boy

- Plastic Little

- Mahoromatic

I think that's probably enough, there are so many more, really just start watching a few and let us know what you like and don't like, and I am sure more recommendations will follow.

Do not watch Code Geass or Death note you'll ask people and they will tell you about that its fucking horrible and weboos like that shit.

That's a bit harsh. Deathnote jumps the shark part way through, I'll grant that, but I wouldn't call it horrible. Likewise Code Geass is certainly no GitS, Akira, or Cowboy Bebop (or FMA, Black Lagoon, Madoka Magicka, Hellsing OVA, NGE, etc, etc), but it's enjoyable enough. Not a masterpiece by any stretch, but worth a watch (again, probably as a brain-off show to relax, but still). Besides, it's certainly an easier Mecha show to get into than trying to figure out where to start watching Gundam :p

I guess that makes me a weboo, then.

Perhaps these should be put in the 'once you've seen a few other series' pile so that they don't colour his impression of the medium. Still, once you've seen a few good shows, you should watch them and make up your own mind.

A lot of good suggestions so far, but mostly from the 90s-00s, did anime start to get shit recently? I watched most of what's been suggested in my youth.

One thing I will say, never watch in english, it just isn't the same.

Madoka Magicka is fairly recent (2011), but I wouldn't recommend it until you've gotten used to anime. What NGE is to Mecha, Madoka is to 'magical girl' anime (think sailor moon); a dark deconstruction of the genre. I'm not into magical girl shows, but Madoka drew me in. It plays out like a classical tragedy. That said, it starts out very slowly; it doesn't really get going until the third or fourth episode, and doesn't really start to get good until about half way through.

As for other new shows, I just go by word-of-mouth, so I haven't seen too much of the modern stuff.

Regarding subs vs dubs, I agree that the Japanese voice actors are usually better, but with one exception. Cowboy Bebop is equally good in either Japanese with subs or the English dub. But as a rule of thumb you should watch anime with subs if possible.

Here is a few others already recommended I think, but that I also will give my +1 to, and some others that I think are good.

I'll break these down by genre, as that may help you to get a feel for what you would probably want to watch.

SciFi:

- Cowboy Beebop

- Gantz

- Serial Experiments Lain

Mecha

- Code Geass

- Evangelion (again, I strongly recommend you wait until you've seen a few other shows before diving into this. It was the first anime I ever saw, along with Akira, but I would not call it accessible by ANY stretch of the imagination)

Fantasy:

- Claymore

- Hellsing (though this could just as easily go in Action)

- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

- Blood + (also could go under Action)

- XXXHOLiC (also has elements of Comedy)

Samurai

- Ruroni Kenshin

- Samurai Champloo

- Afro Samurai

Action:

- Black Lagoon

Comedy

- GTO (NB: while this is a VERY funny show, its rather low budget style and 'unique' humour make me hesitant to recommend it to a newcomer to anime. Once you're a bit more used to the medium, though, do watch it)

- Love Hina (well, Romantic Comedy, really, but close enough)

Edited by DaCraw

I'll try to add ones that haven't been mentioned.

Welcome to the NHK (NHK ni Youkoso) - One of my favourites. Funny, sad, and thought-provoking - often all at the same time. Brilliant.

Ergo Proxy - I was still piecing the story together days after I finished watching it. There's no spoon-fed explanations here - gotta figure it out yourself. Great show.

Haibane Renmei - Difficult to describe without spoiling it. Fairly slow-paced, but very good.

Toradora! - Romantic comedy. One of the best of the genre.

Usagi Drop - Great show. I really enjoyed this one.

Daphne in the Brilliant Blue (Hikari to Mizu no Daphne) - Action comedy. Don't let the first couple of episodes put you off - this show is great fun.

Shiki - Slow-burn horror. Chilling in ways you might not expect.

Gunslinger Girl - More drama than action show. A bit depressing but a good watch.

Air, Kanon, Clannad, Angel Beats! - These four are similarly-styled drama-comedies. Very surreal, kinda like watching a fairy tale. Won't be to everybody's taste but I liked them.

Hayate the Combat Butler (Hayate no Gotoku) - Filled with parodies, gags, and silliness. Lots of fun.

My Bride is a Mermaid (Seto no Hanayome) - Even sillier and faster-paced than Hayate, but also genuinely funny at times. Takes a few episodes to get used to.

Rosario + Vampire - Fanservice comedy. Highly offensive, but a lot of fun if you can get past that.

I Don't Have Many Friends (Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai) - This show was good fun.

Idolmaster - I have no idea why I liked this show, but I did. It's about showbiz and a struggling talent agency. Warning: if you have any pride as a man, do not let your friends catch you watching this.

When They Cry (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) - A pretty good mystery thriller. Annoying at times, but definitely has its moments.

Regarding subs vs dubs, I agree that the Japanese voice actors are usually better, but with one exception. Cowboy Bebop is equally good in either Japanese with subs or the English dub. But as a rule of thumb you should watch anime with subs if possible.

I used to think anime fans were just being pretentious about stuff like that (before I started watching for myself), but it's true. The English dubs almost never rise above the level of mediocre let alone equal the original Japanese acting. The only exceptions I've found being Cowboy Bebop and Baka and Test.

So, to the OP, get used to reading subtitles as quick as you can. You'll enjoy the shows a lot more.

Edited by i_am_banned2

I'm a subs > dubs hipster douchebag in most cases apart from anything Dragonball. I can't stand Goku's high pitched voice, and most of the other characters are English'd with fairly faithful voices.

Thanks all for the awesome responses. There's more than enough suggestions to get me started. I've so far decided to start with the likes of...

Ghost in the Shell

Hellsing Ultimate

Ergo proxy

Afro Samurai

These all sound pretty and cool and from a brief read up on them, I reckon they'd interest me.

I obviously haven't had a chance to lookup all the recommendations, but will get around to it eventually. I might also add something a bit more "comedy" to the above list, based on a few of the titles you've thrown out there.

I was going to try and grab English dubbed stuff wherever possible but the overwhelming opinion seems to be that subs are much better. So I'll defer to your collective wisdom on that one, I have no problem reading subtitles.

EDIT: Where do you guys source your Anime? I'd much rather buy than download (crazy I know). Although I'm not completely opposed to digital purchases. Is Mad Man the go to place?

Edited by val0r0x

Ghost in a shell dubs are really good like fantastic good. Ergo proxys Dub is also pretty good.

Anything that gets a wider western release generally have very good English Dubs.

As mentioned anything Ghibli tends to be good.

I watched Grave of the fireflies once.... I don't think i will ever be able to watch it again.

NGE i watched and loved as a kid, fantastic but it get's a bit weird towards the end.

Also add death note to your list.

Five centermetres per second is a bit artsy but highly recommended.

Posted Image

Neko no ongaeshi.... because cats!