Sign in to follow this  
ahimoth

Gaming Motherboard. Maximums Formula V

Hi guys, I'm upgrading from my ASRock Extreme 4m, no real reason apart just wanting a bit more of a high end system. Getting a 780 within the next couple of days as well as looking at a new motherboard.

Budget for this upgrade is $1200

GPU: $759

Motherboard: ~300-350

Fans: Looking at getting some quieter higher quality fans to replace my ones from BitFenix. ~$120 for 6

Input with really be appreciated.

i5 3570k

'Gaming' motherboard?

Lol, I think the hardware marketing has infiltrated your brain.

Personally I'm running a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5, using the same CPU.

Board seems fine, though it could use a few more USB ports.

Tbh, unless you're doing some hardcore overclocking, most boards should be fine as long as they cater to your needs when it comes to features.

Is there anything you specifically want to do with it? Ezkaton is basically on the money, unless you're an enthusiast who has a use for the extra features of a $300+ motherboard, there is no real point. Most Z77 chipset boards will handle the everyday person's needs including overclocking.

If you're just after something ATX, take a look at the ATX version of the board you have, you can get away with spending far less without any noticeable difference (unless you need the options of the more expensive boards), maybe put the money you save towards something else, what cooling are you running? Maybe you could beef that up or something with the money you save.

By all means, if there is a reason for wanting an asus maximus board other than its high price tag and the e-peen factor, then go for it, but if you can't think of a good reason to go that board over something cheaper, then you don't need it and would be better served putting the money saved into something else.

better off wasting your cash on titan than a mb at least you get something for your money

if you really want a new mb then lash out on a new 1150 setup 4670k but its only ~10% faster and you wont notice the speed difference in just about any game