Sign in to follow this  
SquallStrife

XP finally dying! FOR REALS!

People still use XP?

yes, probably more than vista, 7 & 8 combined in my experience.

those self checkout machines at coles for example, running windows xp.

smartrider (public transport tickets) top up machines in WA, running windows xp.

it's everywhere.

good on AMD for cutting the cord. its been unsupported by M$ for a few years now, it's about time it was retired.

People still use XP?

yes, probably more than vista, 7 & 8 combined in my experience.

those self checkout machines at coles for example, running windows xp.

smartrider (public transport tickets) top up machines in WA, running windows xp.

it's everywhere.

good on AMD for cutting the cord. its been unsupported by M$ for a few years now, it's about time it was retired.

I noticed the other day at Franklins the register was rebooted and up came windows 2000 :)

I'll point out.. Many of those machines? XPe. Embedded OS. Win 7/8 embedded? It's laughable.

XPe is a great system if it's up to date.

Good. Solid. Reliable. And unfortunately, nothing has properly replaced it yet.

AD

I'll point out.. Many of those machines? XPe. Embedded OS. Win 7/8 embedded? It's laughable.

XPe is a great system if it's up to date.

Good. Solid. Reliable. And unfortunately, nothing has properly replaced it yet.

AD

+1 @ AD. We have XPe running on our anaesthetic machines that recorded and self-input data as well as controlling functions on the anaesthetic machine (gas delivery control). The most recent update, as of a few months ago, still runs on it.

Qhealth are just barely getting rid of XP now I think.

Probably still a little way off.

Nothing wrong with XP/XPe running on shitty hardware, but there is no reason to use it on new machines, and there is no reason to develop drivers for XP for new hardware, which is what this thread is about.

FWIW I support hundreds of thin clients with either linux or Win7embedded and they all run fine, XPe is not required and Win7e is just as capable, I haven't had any issues, except with XPS document printer getting redirected to a TS and overwriting the default printer which was an easy fix. I think people are just attached to it. The only legitimate case of use I can think of is users with lots of custom code designed to work with XP, that doesn't work on newer OS like Win7.. we have some legacy terminal servers set up running Server 2003 for applications like this. Unfortunately some people still need them.

I cringe when I log onto a clients computer and they're running XP.

It's about time it dies in the arse...although, for its time, it was a great OS

I'm still using XP on my work desktop that is running on a P4! Maybe now will be a good time to ask for new desktop.

I'm still using XP on my work desktop that is running on a P4! Maybe now will be a good time to ask for new desktop.

May i suggest lubuntu? It will give you some more time with the current PC.

May I suggest Xubuntu? Its not much heavier, but has a bot load more GUI\windows user-esque features?

I dont konw why lubuntu even gets a look in with xubuntu around. Durely the LXDE desktop environment cant be liked THAT much?

Lubuntu looks great. But unfortunately, all the work related applications are windows only :(

Oh well, time to convince management to get me a new machine since the current one is crawling these days.

The work laptop on the other hand is super fast with SSD + Windows 7.

If I had a P4 as a work machine, I wouldn't try and keep it for as long as possible (installing Lubuntu/Xubuntu), I'd be yelling very loudly for an upgrade :-P

If your aren't paying for it, upgrade.

May I suggest Xubuntu? Its not much heavier, but has a bot load more GUI\windows user-esque features?

I dont konw why lubuntu even gets a look in with xubuntu around. Durely the LXDE desktop environment cant be liked THAT much?

lubuntu is lighter, runs on mac, has a CLI installer and has had a lot of theme updates recently. That said, i prefer xubuntu too.

I have a dell d620 that I have just burnt off a disc of Lubuntu for.

Should I just get Xubuntu instead? It will run just as smooth?

A bit off topic again, but I just tried lubuntu in a VM image and it is great and fast! Definitely loving it (and this is coming a pro-Windows person)

Edited by 8vm