Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ezkaton

Gran Turismo 6

To anyone interested, the Gran Turismo 6 'demo' (in the form of GT Academy 2013) came out today, and is now available on the Playstation Store.

It is 1.1gb, and contains the new driving physics engine being used in the final version of the game, which was developed in conjunction with KW Automotive and Yokohama!

Posted Image

Also, general Gran Turismo 6 - since it's coming out toward the end of the year (in 2018, lols).

Obviously this means the competition to win a real race drive for a season starts today!

Played all the Sunday and Clubman cup... smashed the AI in all of them.

So, AI still proves to be zero challenge.

Driving physics, to me it felt really easy, but I did notice a lot more suspension movement and body roll compared to GT5, so hopefully that means weight transfer feels more realistic and the high end cars are less twitchy and slippery.

I noticed quite a bit of understeer too, even on the 370Z...

Did part 1 of the GT Academy and got gold, placed around 450th.

Will try the others when I have more time.

Graphics are slightly better, but noticeable all the same.

Hopefully GT6 is the game everyone expected from GT5. :)

Edited by Ezkaton

For some reason I can't access the Playstation store...keep getting a message that its under maintenance. I see the GT6 icon in the list when I mouse over What's New, but when I click on it I get the maintenance message. Guessing you guys never had that problem? And ya, update has been done.

No issues with the Playstation Store here.

Not sure on car damage.

Not that I play GT to destroy cars... so I didn't really pay any attention.

If you drive well, damage becomes an afterthought. ;)

surely a half serious racing game has to have car damage...

Well, GT5 had mild visible damage on a number of cars... but nothing overly dramatic and it took a lot of good hits to get somewhere decent with it.

It had mechanical damage options in multiplayer, but not many servers used it because they're all corner 1 race winning heroes who crack the shits if they drive like a douche and have to pit to fix damage.

I think I read an interview with Kaz that it'll be pretty similar to GT5 in terms of car damage.

I've read that the car manufacturers crack the shits about their normal everyday cars getting smashed up, and some have denied Polyphony the license to use their cars because they don't want them getting smashed up, even digitally.

Quite strange, but whatever... as long as the driving itself is fun.

I've read that the car manufacturers crack the shits about their normal everyday cars getting smashed up, and some have denied Polyphony the license to use their cars because they don't want them getting smashed up, even digitally.

Oh my. People really are precious aren't they....

Cars that don't crumple are death traps. So by that logic I shouldn't buy any car represented in GT.

Still; looks fun.

Tempted to try and fix my long dead PS3, what with The Last of Us etc.

Edited by Periander

They should still have damage but not show it.

Got GT6 Demo sorted...bit of a hassle. I had to "purchase" the demo for free on PSN website on PC, and cue it to download content in account management.

I don't notice much difference at all in the driving physics, although its said to have a new physics engine. The graphics were below par to GT5, which is just how the 2010 demo GT Academy download was with GT5, so I expect GT6 full release to be much better than GT Academy 2013.

Did all the pre-races and got silvers first go so I could get to Silverstone, which was great to see a new track. After a few laps got my tme down to 2.25 and placed 1570 or something...which is Australia regional ranking...international is about 18,000 I think.

Current International record is 2.17, which is an awesome time.

No car damage in the demo. Don't care much for it anyway. It was demanded years ago by a minority element of the playerbase, with the argument that one needed some form of disincentive for trolls in online racing to ram everyone and mess with their fun. Impact slowdowns such as time penalties, vision impairment and off track penalties introduced into GT5 had this effect for preventing deliberate crashing anyway, so argument for car damage is moot. Its silly anyway, since the game is about the enjoyment of driving.

What annoys the shit of me with the demo is the ghost car...you can't switch it off. This is terribly distracting when its just in front of your vision and you're coming up to a tight corner after a straight and you have to time the braking and turning perfectly. I've resorted to starting my race doing certain sections coming in with a different approach so my next fast lap will have the ghost off the actual driving line I want.

Since I am off work for another month, I have plenty of time to blast around Silverstone in the z, so I imagine my times will get much better by the end of July. Not that it matters, since Australia is not an eligible country for the competition.

Arseholes.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Mt Panorama in full release

They should still have damage but not show it.

I agree, it should be optional for the single player portion of the game... even if racing vs. the AI is retarded a lot of the time and they can act like you're not even there.

I suppose it could end up quite frustrating if the AI keeps ramming you and ruining your race.

Online races, for a while I was running servers with high mechanical damage... but too many people were dropping out of races after ruining their car and basically being thrown out of the race.

Tbh, when your server has 5-12 people in it, that's one of the last things you want happening.

I changed how I ran to low mechanical damage, and a good hit will land you a temporary handling impairment that wears off after a while so idiots are still mildly penalized but not thrown out of the runnings to win (dependent on other driver skill and laps remaining of course :p).

Fun game though, I'm really looking forward to racing online in a more relaxed environment while keeping mildly realistic driving.

I spent a TON of time online with GT5.

There's just something cool about racing your own personal cars.

So, now that GT6 is here... is anybody playing?

I've done the single player portion up to the International B license.

Enjoying things so far.

Yet to try racing online... kinda want to get a few more cars in the garage for a bit of variety.

If anyone is playing, and cares for (as) clean (as possible) racing with no assists, etc... PSN ID is in my sig. :)

It's likely I've deleted anyone who added me for GT5. Got tired of seeing people pop on and offline all the time.

One of the downsides of a large friends list!

Been playing it a fair bit today. Has been quite enjoyable overall. I haven't tried it without assists yet, so I'll hold off on multiplayer :-P

Nice.

I'm finding money much harder to obtain in comparison with GT5... probably to try and push their cash for credits thing they have going in the GT store.

At those prices though, I can't see many people going for it.

Haha yep.

All those cars are coming in handy... though I burned through the 1 mil pretty quick just grabbing and fully upgrading a couple cars.

I've achieved gold trophies through to National A, been using the free cars where I can rather than buying them to save up a fair few credits. But having upgraded a few cars, and buying a car to compete in both the Japanese 90s series and classic series, I burned through my credits pretty quickly. TBH I think upgrading cars has been a waste of money; there was only one race where the AI appeared somewhat competitive, and most of the time the provided car seems to out power any competitor's car.

Anyone else passed the final Goodwood Hill climb in the Red Bull Prototype? Been trying for days, best I've managed is silver, on what must be nearly 100 attempts. Most of which ended at the first corner. Or the second corner. Or the turn onto the third straight. Or the hay bale that protrudes out onto the third straight. Or the wall at the end of the third straight......

You get the picture.

Anyone else passed the final Goodwood Hill climb in the Red Bull Prototype? Been trying for days, best I've managed is silver, on what must be nearly 100 attempts. Most of which ended at the first corner. Or the second corner. Or the turn onto the third straight. Or the hay bale that protrudes out onto the third straight. Or the wall at the end of the third straight......

You get the picture.

Ha ha ha. Im the same. That launch at the start! Its like a slingshot! So fast! First corner I found the most difficult then the third onto the straight. Not.sure if its humanly possible to do this one at full pace, its just blurry quick with pedal to the metal. Scary

...not to mention it's a bit hard to not go off the track when the track is someone's driveway, and your car is about the same width as it.

I've done it... took me about 10 tries.

I am using a wheel though, I don't know if you guys are on wheels or controllers.

I topped the gold time by a couple of seconds.

Yeah I'm on controller. Probably not the way its meant to be played but no space for wheel and stuff.

I found turning all the electronic assist stuff up to 10 (except the traction control because it gets bogged down so that's at about 6 I think) helps get the thing pointed in the right direction. I only had time for a couple more goes and didn't manage to top my bronze time yet though.

One day I will build a dedicated racing system...probably in 15 years when people are playing GT12.