gunny

Recommend me a good GPU for Racing games < $1k (4 Tripple screening)

Hi Atomicians

I have a mate who wants to rock a race cage, wheel, seat and triple screen DiRt 3 etc. He is running a AMD quad 4.2, 8GB Ram and a GTX560 at present, so his current card can do 2 screens OK. I do not have all the specs, case if a HAF so he can fit a large card and the PSU is 500-650W so he should be OK for power.

He's done some research and of course a 1200-1500$ card will give him high frames etc and lots of heat, maybe needing a bigger PSU and maybe even bottle neck on the CPU/RAM a bit. Really I can't tell him what to buy as it's not my thing tripple screening (I find a 27" LCD does the job)

Anyways if his budget is more like $600-$800 what AMD cards do you guys recommend, I know little of the AMD camp since all my mates bought 5770's a couple of years back.

Hi Atomicians

I have a mate who wants to rock a race cage, wheel, seat and triple screen DiRt 3 etc.

If he is running 1920x1080 x 3 monitors 7870 is enough powerwise.

Any res higher than that get the most expensive card you can afford.

Most importantly if you go Radeon you need to make sure of two things 1) monitors have displayports.

2) the Radeon has at least 3 displayports or mini display ports.

Other wise you will be subjected to horizontal tearing on one or 2 monitors.

single 7870 enough for 5760x1080? maybe if he enjoys low frame rates and low texture qualities. It would have to a a 4gb highly OC model to get anywhere near 60 fps at decent visual quality. mate here had one and it struggled to run anything above 40 fps at best in medium in dirt 2. I'd recommend the 7950 ghz 4GB model atleast he would be much better off in the future. 7870 will be low end within 6 months.

Thanks guys it sound like the cost of the 3 screens is holding him back, he wants 27 or 32" ... sounds a bit large for a racing rig.

I think a 2gb-3gb version of a 79xx card will do him. Just price/performance to choose which one, we know about display port adapters etc

Thanks guys it sound like the cost of the 3 screens is holding him back, he wants 27 or 32" ... sounds a bit large for a racing rig.

I think a 2gb-3gb version of a 79xx card will do him. Just price/performance to choose which one, we know about display port adapters etc

If thats the case, he'd most likely be looking at 1440p monitors, in which case, you can change the requirements to 3 or 4 7970s :P

Has he considered the next gen sims such as Asseto Corsa and Project Cars.

Also another option is a 21:9 screen

As NukeJockey has pointed out 3x 1440 screens will need a beast setup to get it to run at a decent frame rate. Triple screens is big budget for sim racing cause quite frankly 30 fps is terrible you have to target 60 fps minimum. I'll get you a fps on my rig for Dirt 3 Project cars etc later

Edited by Pigs can fly