Sign in to follow this  
noskcaj

Munich gets lots of lubuntu

I'm suprised no one has posted this yet.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/06/germany...cds-on-xps-deat

Munich City Council plan to make Ubuntu discs available as a ‘replacement for Windows XP’ – Microsoft’s 11-year old operating system for which support officially ends in April of next year.

The proactive effort is been billed as an attempt to ‘prevent electronic waste’ from discarded computers that, whilst still serviceable with an alternative OS, would fail to meet the requirements of Windows 7 or Windows 8.

It’s estimated that some 20 million German PC users are still running Windows XP.

Cue much celebration, then confusion all round. The issue is, the LTS won't be out till a month after, 13.10 will end support in july 2014 and 12.10 will end support in october 2014.

The only solution, we decided, was to get Munich to use 13.10 then show people how to upgrade.

This is a very useful step for the WOWLubuntu project.

Why not 12.04?

Lubuntu didn't have enough people to make it LTS. only the Ubuntu components would still be current

Why not 12.04?

Lubuntu didn't have enough people to make it LTS. only the Ubuntu components would still be current

Ah, good point. Is a pity, as Lubuntu 12.04 runs pretty damn smooth on my old laptop (Pentium III 1GHz + 512MB RAM). Actually, was Xubuntu 12.04 a possibility? Edited by nobody813

Ah, good point. Is a pity, as Lubuntu 12.04 runs pretty damn smooth on my old laptop (Pentium III 1GHz + 512MB RAM). Actually, was Xubuntu 12.04 a possibility?

They made the decision themselves, so i assume they had a reason to not use it. Maybe because lubuntu has support for ARM, PPC and AMD64+MAC and an alternate installer. We recently added zRAM to lubuntu so the installer uses less RAM than the desktop, so it is lighter than Xubuntu. Also, lubuntu looks slightly more like XP, so that would have contributed.

The release of the the signficiantly evolved Tahiti XT hardware will also be the final hurrah of ‘Southern Islands’ based GPUs. Our rumour mill tracker suggests that 2016's truly next-gen replacement (Nvidia ‘Pascal’ as well as AMD’s 'Caribbean Islands’) will skip all the way from the current 28nm manufacturing to 16nm due to production issues. As a side note, this means that we will have spent six years at 28nm and now truly fear for Moore's law.

ANAIM