Sign in to follow this  
Modz

Upgrade from 2500K to 3770K?

So i'm thinking while an upgrade on the 1155 socket is still available, is it worth upgrading from my 2500K to a 3770K. I do video editing and render heavy work loads as well as gaming, but since the 2500/2600 series came out i kinda lost track of the improvements since then. other than reading basic benchmark reviews. If so what's a 2500K chip worth to sell these days?

Unless you can get a good price for the 2500K which saves you at least 50/60% on a new 3770K then it's not worth it. The 3770K is faster, but it's not fast enough to justify an outright upgrade. If you're keen I'd look at selling your 2500K for as much as you can get and buy rather a used 3770K.

The whole video rendering thing really only means anything if the time savings actually make you more productive or net you more profit. It's been an age old excuse for an upgrade or to buy into Hyper-Threading, but it doesn't hold much weight if the difference between 40 minutes and an hour mean sweet bugger all to you. And if it does people wouldn't have to ask if it's worthwhile.

With that being said the 3770K is both newer, faster and a nice CPU, so if you don't get it for a nice price you still end up with a nice piece of equipment even if it did cost more than what you get in return.

Edited by smakme7757

just did a quick search on ocau fs forums for you, 2500k is worth about $150 max unless it's a great overclocker.

depending on your mobo, you will need to do a BIOS update to recognize 3770k, it will also run much hotter.

it's down to you to decide if the benefits are worth it or not.

Tbh, I'd just OC the 2500K since Sandy are better overclockers than Ivy.

Saves all your money and you still get improved performance to suit your needs.

It's been at 4.6ghz since Oct '11 and does 5ghz with the right mobo. And its been water cooled. so never above 65degrees. I was hoping to get $180 if i could as it's around $375 for a new 3770k. My mobo already has an updated bios that supports the 35/37's. so no issues there.

I do do a lot of rendering, mostly after effects more so than pure video encoding. So im currently used of 4-5 hour render times on average. So the increased thread count will be a big factor for me. I just wasn't sure if cost was really worth it.

*What about finding a 2nd hand 2600k?

Edited by Modz

It's been at 4.6ghz since Oct '11 and does 5ghz with the right mobo. And its been water cooled. so never above 65degrees. I was hoping to get $180 if i could as it's around $375 for a new 3770k. My mobo already has an updated bios that supports the 35/37's. so no issues there.

I do do a lot of rendering, mostly after effects more so than pure video encoding. So im currently used of 4-5 hour render times on average. So the increased thread count will be a big factor for me. I just wasn't sure if cost was really worth it.

*What about finding a 2nd hand 2600k?

that would be a much better option, or a second hand 3770k either. ocau for sale section is great for that kind of gear. 2600k's going for $180-220 depending on OC potential.

3770k's going for more like $280-300.